Ryle at Highlands Predictions/Updates

DevilMayCare

Raiders vs. Bluebirds  

56 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2021 at 11:00 PM

Birds look to bounce back against a stout, stingy Ryle defense

Records: Ryle (3-1), Highlands (3-1)

BGP Ranking: Ryle (#8 in 6A), Highlands (#5 in 5A)

Series History: Highlands leads 13-5 all-time

Table Setter: The Birds and Raiders have put together great starts to the 2021 season, just in opposite directions. Highlands had won three in a row before unbeaten GCL North leader Archbishop McNicholas dealt the Birds a 27-21 setback last week. Ryle dropped its opener to undefeated Lexington Catholic before reeling off three straight wins heading into David Cecil Memorial Stadium. 

Ryle has played stifling defense since that loss to LexCath, allowing one touchdown each of the last three weeks. The heart of that defense has been the linebacker duo of Gabe Savage and Jackson Belk, who've combined for 84 tackles already this season. Logan Verax pulls the trigger at quarterback for Ryle and the running back and receiver positions have been by committee so far.

There's no questioning who the man is for the Highlands offense. Charlie Noon is the straw that stirs the drink for Coach Bob Sphire's Bluebirds. The junior has already amassed over a thousand yards of offense this year, despite missing the opener against Bowling Green. Linebacker Sam Robinson is a name to look for on defense for the Birds. He leads the team in solo tackles, sacks, and interceptions.

download.thumb.jpeg.764d6e49eb1c4070bb7483fae84243bd.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I expect a hotly contested game that goes down to the wire.  Noon is an agile and versatile QB that is always a definite X-factor for the Birds.  Easier said than done to contain him by land and his receivers by air.  Yowan and Savage mixed in at running back provide some powerful threats on the ground for Ryle.  I hope for an injury-free, well-played contest between two good teams

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StraightShooter said:

I expect a hotly contested game that goes down to the wire.  Noon is an agile and versatile QB that is always a definite X-factor for the Birds.  Easier said than done to contain him by land and his receivers by air.  Yowan and Savage mixed in at running back provide some powerful threats on the ground for Ryle.  I hope for an injury-free, well-played contest between two good teams

Don't forget about Harden out of the backfield, and Ryle also has their own running QB in Colemire that has been hard to stop. Ryle has started slow in each game, if they get off to quick start can rack up points in multiple ways. With that said defense is still their staple. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:12 PM, StraightShooter said:

Couldn't agree more with StraightShooter.  This is setting up to be a last possession kind of a game.  Both teams are a hair away from being 4-0 and both QB's are having close to identical years under center, with Charlie Noon a big advantage with his legs leading HHS in rushing.  This game can be watched on (859) Sports Radio.  We may be in the library, which will certainly provide some challenges, but we will do our best to bring you as much as we can with the video.  Click here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no doubt that Noon is a gifted athlete that can impact the game.  He can look and be very good.  I just hope that he doesn't try to do too much against a better team like Ryle.  The Birds' offensive line will need to give Noon time to throw and Noon will have to throw it rather than just tuck it and take off

Also, if Ryle decides to come out and just run the ball and maintain possession, it could be a long night for Highlands' defense.  I could see Ryle with 60-65% time of possession.  The Birds' must get a couple turnovers and win special teams.  

It's going to be a good game.  

Highlands by 4.