2021 NKY Frosh Football Scores & Rankings

4 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Good point ...I guess people don't realize that out of district kids have to pass a pretty stringent academic test before they are accepted as a student (and before they take the tuition payment) It is a lot easier to present part of the story than the full story --which is disingenuous at best, and a flat out lie at best.

Beechwood does thing right. If you want to get in as a tuition student --- you better be able to pass the entrance test. I have never seen or even heard of Beechwood turning away a student who couldn't pass the admissions test. If they did (which I haven't seen in 22 years)...it was done first come first serve -- athletics didn't have anything to do with it. Draw any conclusions you want from there. 

Is there really an admission test?  A public school has an admission test?

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Not sure about Beechwood Independent, but I know for sure that Fort Thomas Independent does not have any sort of test. Numbers and money (especially the question “do we need tuition money”) are the biggest contributing factors. And any district can say they’re different but I would find it hard to believe if that is actually the case. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Not sure about Beechwood Independent, but I know for sure that Fort Thomas Independent does not have any sort of test. Numbers and money (especially the question “do we need tuition money”) are the biggest contributing factors. And any district can say they’re different but I would find it hard to believe if that is actually the case. 

As VOR correctly answered -- there is an admission test for tuition students. 

Are you really surprised? Easy answer -- this thread (there was at least one post previously that accused Beechwood of only letting in exceptional athletes--which is as wrong as the day is long). Beechwood, first and foremost, is a school that takes great pride in the education that they offer students. There is this thought/stigma attached to places like Beechwood, Highlands, Pikeville, etc -- which are independent schools--that allow every great athlete in the door for the sake of athletics. Yeah well--wrong. Beechwood is 1. A challenging academic environment, 2. A progressive academic environment 3. Just so happens to strive for extra curricular excellence as well (Athletics of course--but look at the band--how many AA schools have over a 100 kids in the band? How many 6A schools have over a 100 kids in the band?). 

It boggles my mind that people actually believe that Beechwood only cares about bringing in superior athletes. Read VOR's link above -- if you can't read and comprehend that Beechwood is committed to academic success before anything else -- not sure you should spend anymore time in this thread. 

There is no denying that parents send their kids to Beechwood for athletics--but guess what--upfront things like the entrance test say "you may be a great athlete--but you are here for an education first"

I do admire Kenny's thought above -- where he states: "Numbers and money (especially the question "do we need tuition money") are the biggest contributing factors. And while I admire his honesty--I take more pride in the fact that at Beechwood -- it isn't about the money. It is about high standards for success and being a part of something that is bigger than any one person, or money, or athletics.  

Beechwood works extremely hard to be different. And if freshman from other schools want to come to Beechwood simply for athletics -- then that person is not going to be successful there. 

With that said, hopefully the thread can get back to the topic as opposed to continuing the ridiculous notion that admission at Beechwood is dependent upon how great of an athlete you are or how much money Mommy and Daddy have (because if it is really about money -- the rich parents can just move in district and forego the tuition). Seriously -- freshman DRIVING their selves to practice? (Good grief). 

My apologies for the book -- but it makes me sick to read some of these posts -- funny thing is -- every school district in this state has the ability to do things the way that Beechwood does. 

Edited by gbballfan21
Moronic rambling

34 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

As VOR correctly answered -- there is an admission test for tuition students. 

Are you really surprised? Easy answer -- this thread (there was at least one post previously that accused Beechwood of only letting in exceptional athletes--which is as wrong as the day is long). Beechwood, first and foremost, is a school that takes great pride in the education that they offer students. There is this thought/stigma attached to places like Beechwood, Highlands, Pikeville, etc -- which are independent schools--that allow every great athlete in the door for the sake of athletics. Yeah well--wrong. Beechwood is 1. A challenging academic environment, 2. A progressive academic environment 3. Just so happens to strive for extra curricular excellence as well (Athletics of course--but look at the band--how many AA schools have over a 100 kids in the band? How many 6A schools have over a 100 kids in the band?). 

It boggles my mind that people actually believe that Beechwood only cares about bringing in superior athletes. Read VOR's link above -- if you can't read and comprehend that Beechwood is committed to academic success before anything else -- not sure you should spend anymore time in this thread. 

There is no denying that parents send their kids to Beechwood for athletics--but guess what--upfront things like the entrance test say "you may be a great athlete--but you are here for an education first"

I do admire Kenny's thought above -- where he states: "Numbers and money (especially the question "do we need tuition money") are the biggest contributing factors. And while I admire his honesty--I take more pride in the fact that at Beechwood -- it isn't about the money. It is about high standards for success and being a part of something that is bigger than any one person, or money, or athletics.  

Beechwood works extremely hard to be different. And if freshman from other schools want to come to Beechwood simply for athletics -- then that person is not going to be successful there. 

With that said, hopefully the thread can get back to the topic as opposed to continuing the ridiculous notion that admission at Beechwood is dependent upon how great of an athlete you are or how much money Mommy and Daddy have (because if it is really about money -- the rich parents can just move in district and forego the tuition). Seriously -- freshman DRIVING their selves to practice? (Good grief). 

My apologies for the book -- but it makes me sick to read some of these posts -- funny thing is -- every school district in this state has the ability to do things the way that Beechwood does. 

First of all, I was asking a serious question and did not need the diatribe.  Highlands strives for the same successes as Beechwood and does not require passing an entrance exam.  I thought we were allowed to ask questions and get answers without being talked down to.  

• Like 4

On 8/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, gbballfan21 said:

Good point ...I guess people don't realize that out of district kids have to pass a pretty stringent academic test before they are accepted as a student (and before they take the tuition payment) It is a lot easier to present part of the story than the full story --which is disingenuous at best, and a flat out lie at best.

Beechwood does thing right. If you want to get in as a tuition student --- you better be able to pass the entrance test. I have never seen or even heard of Beechwood turning away a student who couldn't pass the admissions test. If they did (which I haven't seen in 22 years)...it was done first come first serve -- athletics didn't have anything to do with it. Draw any conclusions you want from there. 

Or be good at basketball or football and they will find a spot for you!

On 8/7/2021 at 11:23 AM, Kenny Powers said:

Unfortunately, it was pretty sloppy and the frosh Birds were overmatched. A lot of mental errors and lack of attention to detail. Good thing is those mental errors and detail issues should be easy things to fix with time. Playing NKY competition and not Male will always help as well. There is definitely some talent in this freshman class; hopefully it gets utilized well. 

I thought the Birds frosh held their own against Male.  Yes, they did look a little sloppy at times but I don't think they looked overmatched.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 11:23 AM, Kenny Powers said:

Unfortunately, it was pretty sloppy and the frosh Birds were overmatched. A lot of mental errors and lack of attention to detail. Good thing is those mental errors and detail issues should be easy things to fix with time. Playing NKY competition and not Male will always help as well. There is definitely some talent in this freshman class; hopefully it gets utilized well. 

Interesting. How were they over matched? I heard HHS had some early success at the run game and pretty much passed when they wanted to. Someone told me the TD's were HHS with 4 and Male with 4. Is that not true? Tackling can and will get better but over matched is a bit of a stretch.

16 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Interesting. How were they over matched? I heard HHS had some early success at the run game and pretty much passed when they wanted to. Someone told me the TD's were HHS with 4 and Male with 4. Is that not true? Tackling can and will get better but over matched is a bit of a stretch.

The final TD count was 4-3 in favor of Male. However, IMO scoring a scrimmage is kind of a waste because most coaches come in knowing that they might want to focus on just a couple things rather than truly game planning to win. 

With the exception of the opening run by Devon James, I would estimate that the Birds had less than 25-35 yards rushing. James is going to be a player FYI.

In terms of passing, I am sorry but you were simply told wrong. The Birds completed 8 passes with 4 of those passes being across the line of scrimmage. Number 3 at QB (who I think is Nolan Schwalbach) threw a really solid deep ball and had some big completions. Hopefully, the Birds can develop more of an intermediate passing game - even some simple slants and hitches would help open up that deep ball even more. But, unfortunately, the Birds definitely did not "pass when they wanted to"; a lot because the QBs were pressured very heavily. 

The opening series Male went 4 plays right up the middle for a TD and continued to run the ball very effectively all night. Defensively there were numerous plays where Male's defense dominated at the point of attack and got tackles for a loss or no gain; again outside of James' run the run game was non-existent.

I can go into more detail if you would like; however, my point was simply stating that physically (strength and size) HHS was outmatched; this is nothing new for HHS vs Male; especially at the freshman level. With that said, HHS will probably not face anyone as big and physical as Male in NKY this year. My bigger concerns for the Birds is the all or nothing passing game and the mental errors. Both of which, I think will take care of themselves with more reps and time. Either way, the future for the Birds and the Bulldogs looks bright.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

The final TD count was 4-3 in favor of Male. However, IMO scoring a scrimmage is kind of a waste because most coaches come in knowing that they might want to focus on just a couple things rather than truly game planning to win. 

With the exception of the opening run by Devon James, I would estimate that the Birds had less than 25-35 yards rushing. James is going to be a player FYI.

In terms of passing, I am sorry but you were simply told wrong. The Birds completed 8 passes with 4 of those passes being across the line of scrimmage. Number 3 at QB (who I think is Nolan Schwalbach) threw a really solid deep ball and had some big completions. Hopefully, the Birds can develop more of an intermediate passing game - even some simple slants and hitches would help open up that deep ball even more. But, unfortunately, the Birds definitely did not "pass when they wanted to"; a lot because the QBs were pressured very heavily. 

The opening series Male went 4 plays right up the middle for a TD and continued to run the ball very effectively all night. Defensively there were numerous plays where Male's defense dominated at the point of attack and got tackles for a loss or no gain; again outside of James' run the run game was non-existent.

I can go into more detail if you would like; however, my point was simply stating that physically (strength and size) HHS was outmatched; this is nothing new for HHS vs Male; especially at the freshman level. With that said, HHS will probably not face anyone as big and physical as Male in NKY this year. My bigger concerns for the Birds is the all or nothing passing game and the mental errors. Both of which, I think will take care of themselves with more reps and time. Either way, the future for the Birds and the Bulldogs looks bright.  

That's a good explaination. Thanks.

James TD

McCarter TD Rec from Schwalbach

Surrey TD Rec from Schwalbach

Arnold TD Rec from Schwalbach

Looks like 4 TD's to me. But who's counting? Just correcting your errors. But you're right, Highlands won't face another team the size of Male. And that's saying a lot because is huge across the front.

31 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

That's a good explaination. Thanks.

James TD

McCarter TD Rec from Schwalbach

Surrey TD Rec from Schwalbach

Arnold TD Rec from Schwalbach

Looks like 4 TD's to me. But who's counting? Just correcting your errors. But you're right, Highlands won't face another team the size of Male. And that's saying a lot because is huge across the front.

Plus the Birds dropped several big passes that would have likely led to additional scores.  I can think of about 5 or 6 passes downfield that were "on the money" but not completed.  Those things need to get cleaned up.  

Highlands will be fine this year. They have some new Staff members that are Coaching the Frosh team this year. NCC grad and former Breds Varsity Asst Coach Scott Wiggins will call the Defense this year for the Frosh Birds. He brings great knowledge and experience from his Playing and Coaching Days at NCC. He has been in the FTJFL the last couple of years Coaching this group including his very own son Garrett. On the other side you have Long time Highlands Football Alum and FTJFL Coach Mick Abner who will be the Offensive signal caller in 2021. Mick comes from a big family that has been involved in Highlands Football for many years. If I'm not mistaken Mick's son Mikey will be on the 8th grade team this year. It will be nice to finally have another Abner in Highlands Blue and White again for the next 4-5 years to watch.  Both coaches are also Varsity/JV Asst's. They both will bring a lot of game experience that should and will translate to the Football field. I think both are very good grabs for Coach Bob Sphire. I for one am excited that they brought both these guys on Staff. Coach Sphire is putting some good pieces in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Campbell County hosts the "Freshman Bowl"  this Saturday:

9a:  CC vs Bryan Station

11a:  South Oldham vs Harrison (OH?)

1p:  Ryle vs Miamisburg

3p:  Cooper vs Mason Co.

Other games on Saturday:  Cov Cath vs Elder at CCH 11 or 12 per source (needs confirmed)

6 minutes ago, BubbyKY said:

Campbell County hosts the "Freshman Bowl"  this Saturday:

9a:  CC vs Bryan Station

11a:  South Oldham vs Harrison (OH?)

1p:  Ryle vs Miamisburg

3p:  Cooper vs Mason Co.

Other games on Saturday:  Cov Cath vs Elder at CCH 11 or 12 per source (needs confirmed)

Game is at noon, per the original Cov Cath freshman schedule. I'm not sure whether or not that may have been changed a little based on weather forecasting.