2021 NKY Frosh Football Scores & Rankings

On 8/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, BirdDaddy said:

Highlands will be fine this year. They have some new Staff members that are Coaching the Frosh team this year. NCC grad and former Breds Varsity Asst Coach Scott Wiggins will call the Defense this year for the Frosh Birds. He brings great knowledge and experience from his Playing and Coaching Days at NCC. He has been in the FTJFL the last couple of years Coaching this group including his very own son Garrett. On the other side you have Long time Highlands Football Alum and FTJFL Coach Mick Abner who will be the Offensive signal caller in 2021. Mick comes from a big family that has been involved in Highlands Football for many years. If I'm not mistaken Mick's son Mikey will be on the 8th grade team this year. It will be nice to finally have another Abner in Highlands Blue and White again for the next 4-5 years to watch.  Both coaches are also Varsity/JV Asst's. They both will bring a lot of game experience that should and will translate to the Football field. I think both are very good grabs for Coach Bob Sphire. I for one am excited that they brought both these guys on Staff. Coach Sphire is putting some good pieces in place.

Where is coach Dowling? Is he still in the program? He seemed to do a really good job coaching the Birds freshman team. 

18 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Did they play Elders A team or B team? I believe in years past Elder has had two freshman teams. Either way it is still a good win though. 

It was definitely their A team….they have 80ish kids on the freshman roster and all 80ish were on the sideline.  

• Like 1

Campbell County 28  Bryan Station 20

Ryle dressed 23 at the CC Freshman Bowl, their game was cancelled after 1 quarter due to heat index on turf.  They were playing Miamisburg (OH) and had some success moving the ball.  Speculation was made with some students enrolling at Beechwood, but current QB has a nice arm, still have big F back, and line has decent size.  Cooper frosh game had to be cancelled due to heat, was set for 3p start.

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Did they play Elders A team or B team? I believe in years past Elder has had two freshman teams. Either way it is still a good win though. 

Don't think Elder splits their freshman teams like X does, but I could be wrong about that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Where is coach Dowling? Is he still in the program? He seemed to do a really good job coaching the Birds freshman team. 

He is still teaching at HHS and helping Coach Sphire with things here and there but he told the team after Spring Football that with a growing family he wouldn’t be able to put the time in necessary to coach. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 12:35 PM, colonel-fan said:

Don't think Elder splits their freshman teams like X does, but I could be wrong about that.

I was told that Elder does not split freshman teams. By my count from the film, Elder had right around 77 kids dressed for the game on Saturday, plus as I understand it they had a two-man camera crew on top of the pressbox. That's a heck of a showing for a freshman  B-team.

• Like 2

Can’t speak to the other Freshman teams, but saw Beechwood touch the ball 4 times against Cooper and score 4 TDs in an abbreviated scrimmage after the Varsity/JV last week.  Much to the dismay to many on this thread, the Beechies look to be reloading for quite some time to come. 😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LoudenSwain said:

Can’t speak to the other Freshman teams, but saw Beechwood touch the ball 4 times against Cooper and score 4 TDs in an abbreviated scrimmage after the Varsity/JV last week.  Much to the dismay to many on this thread, the Beechies look to be reloading for quite some time to come. 😎

Beechwood definitely should be one of the better freshman teams in the area this year.  I know the Beechwood program as a whole had a decent amount of players reclassify in the program. Im not sure if it is true or not but I thought I heard someone say Beechwood had some freshman from last year also reclassify, and are playing freshman again. So either way the future is definitely going to continue to be bright for Beechwood for many years. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Beechwood definitely should be one of the better freshman teams in the area this year.  I know the Beechwood program as a whole had a decent amount of players reclassify in the program. Im not sure if it is true or not but I thought I heard someone say Beechwood had some freshman from last year also reclassify, and are playing freshman again. So either way the future is definitely going to continue to be bright for Beechwood for many years. 

Freshmen reclassifying. Gotta love it. Did they not get to go to enough camps or get enough exposure….

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteCastle said:

I understand why this was done for upperclassman but freshman?

Many of us here are parents and with that in mind I can certainly understand why a parent would make this decision in the best interests of their child.

25 minutes ago, TyroneBigsby said:

Freshmen reclassifying. Gotta love it. Did they not get to go to enough camps or get enough exposure….

4 minutes ago, WhiteCastle said:

I understand why this was done for upperclassman but freshman?

Could ACTUALLY be for academic reasons? (Shocking premise, I know.)

Maybe as an undersized freshman he wanted another year to develop physically?

Maybe he was bummed because he wanted to play QB and BW had their starting QB repeat his senior year and mess up the pecking order underneath?