Kentucky Basketball 2021/22

5 hours ago, theguru said:

I guess the proper response is congrats to Dontaie.

I saw this on my Facebook feed too.  My friend that posted it suggested that any player that is getting paid should forgo their scholarship for someone more in need.  Interesting take to say the least. 

His take would be legit, if the actual school was paying them to play. However, players won’t be getting paid from the schools to play. Players will be getting paid for their own image and likeness from outside of school. Which is no different than if a person is on an academic scholarship. People wouldn’t ask students to give back their academic scholarship if they were able to make money on themselves on the side. So poor take by him IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, futurecoach said:

His take would be legit, if the actual school was paying them to play. However, players won’t be getting paid from the schools to play. Players will be getting paid for their own image and likeness from outside of school. Which is no different than if a person is on an academic scholarship. People wouldn’t ask students to give back their academic scholarship if they were able to make money on themselves on the side. So poor take by him IMO. 

I am slightly conflicted but I did start a thread on it:

28 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

A5D8378A-FB30-4637-9308-A453D1C82937.jpeg

Love it! Cal is going to have his hands full in regards to figuring out playing time and rotations and all that. However, that is a great problem to have. 

Also people need to realize there is a good chance that there will be one or two that may transfer mid season again. With as many good players as they will have, there will be a few who will be unhappy with playing time obviously. 

16 hours ago, theguru said:

I guess the proper response is congrats to Dontaie.

I saw this on my Facebook feed too.  My friend that posted it suggested that any player that is getting paid should forgo their scholarship for someone more in need.  Interesting take to say the least. 

My response to your friend is that there's always going to be someone more in need.  Those folks deemed as such can work their tails off for hours upon end to make money just like the athletes do.

How much does the Illinois fan base despise Kentucky right now? Get Cockburn and they may not be able to handle it. Stat of the Day. With Mintz back it’s the first time since 2001 (Prince) 20 years that Ky has their leading scorer returning.

This is why I would be terrible at being an NBA scout. Cockburn doesn't "project" well for the NBA. I see a guy that can rim protect with the potential to rim roll, which is what the NBA is always looking for. Not saying he will be a world beater, but the dude is a mammoth.

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

This is why I would be terrible at being an NBA scout. Cockburn doesn't "project" well for the NBA. I see a guy that can rim protect with the potential to rim roll, which is what the NBA is always looking for. Not saying he will be a world beater, but the dude is a mammoth.

Defensively he will get picked on in the pick and roll.  He's very foul prone. Also he's atrocious at Ft shooting. Considering that, his ceiling isn't very high because it's unlikely he'll develop a perimeter game offensively. So essentially he's unplayable late in the game. Guys like that aren't in much high demand in the NBA.

11 minutes ago, brown4 said:

Defensively he will get picked on in the pick and roll.  He's very foul prone. Also he's atrocious at Ft shooting. Considering that, his ceiling isn't very high because it's unlikely he'll develop a perimeter game offensively. So essentially he's unplayable late in the game. Guys like that aren't in much high demand in the NBA.

You're thinking in terms of a starter. 70% of the NBA is not playing crunch time minutes. I'm thinking in terms of a later first rounder you can play 15-20 minutes in a reserve role. Guys like that are in HIGH demand. Some games he will see no action, others quite a bit of time, depending on the match-up.