Kentucky Basketball 2021/22

On 5/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, Randy Parker said:

It's a rarity, but I agree with you on this.  Adding Washington yesterday is important, but this roster does not appear overly impressive to me. 

On 5/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, nikeman49 said:

There has been a couple of decent transfers and a couple decent high school commitments but nothing to shout about.

Here is the thing at this rate Cal is almost designing the exact roster that everyone has been saying it has wanted. At least in terms of it will have basically everything some fans have complained about at times. 

A couple of top recruits in Collins and TyTy.

People say they wanted more Ky players, well they now have two. 

People have said they need more shooting, they have got that. 

People have said they wanted more experience and not just one and done freshman. Well they have some top transfers coming in, who have a few years of college experience under their belt. Two of those guys were considered be to top 10 guys in the transfer market. So they gotten top transfers. 

Then people say they also wanted more guys on the roster that Cal recruits that aren’t just one and done. Well they have that in Allen, and Ware, and most likely Brooks. Toppin now too even though he was a transfer a year ago. Then there is a good chance at least two of three return out of Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz. With a chance all three return. 

So this roster when complete literally will most likely be a complete roster that literally hits on almost every single complaint  fans have had through the years. So fans will have to find new ways to complain lol. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Here is the thing at this rate Cal is almost designing the exact roster that everyone has been saying it has wanted. At least in terms of it will have basically everything some fans have complained about at times. 

People have said they wanted more experience and not just one and done freshman. Well they have some top transfers coming in, who have a few years of college experience under their belt. Two of those guys were considered be to top 10 guys in the transfer market. So they gotten top transfers. 

Then people say they also wanted more guys on the roster that Cal recruits that aren’t just one and done. Well they have that in Allen, and Ware, and most likely Brooks. Toppin now too even though he was a transfer a year ago. Then there is a good chance at least two of three return out of Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz. With a chance all three return. 

So this roster when complete literally will most likely be a complete roster that literally hits on almost every single complaint  fans have had through the years. So fans will have to find new ways to complain lol. 

I can guarantee you that Cal could care less about what UK fans want or ask for, he is trying to complete a roster that can save his face for the horrendous season he put together last year.

36 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

I can guarantee you that Cal could care less about what UK fans want or ask for, he is trying to complete a roster that can save his face for the horrendous season he put together last year.

Beat that horse to death because it is the only thing you have to hang your opinion on in Cal's whole tenure at UK.

You remind me of the investor who has been screaming the market is going to crash for the last ten years. He will be right one day and scream I told you so, even though he has been wrong for ten+  years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

I want the best players, period.  It's great to have Kentucky guys, but I don't want kids just because they're from our state.  I also don't feel like it's a necessity to have multi-year guys.  The best players.

My agreement with nikeman is that this isn't a roster that excites me very much. At least that's how it seems to me.  I really hope to be wrong.

52 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I want the best players, period.  It's great to have Kentucky guys, but I don't want kids just because they're from our state.  I also don't feel like it's a necessity to have multi-year guys.  The best players.

My agreement with nikeman is that this isn't a roster that excites me very much. At least that's how it seems to me.  I really hope to be wrong.

My question is what would you rather have to make you more excited about it? Obviously it is still not complete. However, from the looks of it they at worst will most likely have 2 of the 3 back in Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz. They also got a couple of top freshman coming in with Collins and TyTy. Then also a few of the top transfers. 

It is still not a finish product and we will see exactly how the roster turns out. However, IMO the roster is shaken out to be very nice. So I’m just curious what really is holding you back in how you view it currently?

5 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

What you aren’t used to is someone giving an opinion and not praising Ky while doing it, there are other college basketball teams in the nation other than Ky and  that is just the facts.

Nothing wrong with opinions at all. Nothing wrong with people liking other teams. Just own it when your opinions wind up wrong. Which you don't do.

You say guys, especially at the PG position dont wannt play for Cal cause he makes them scapegoats and then he goes and signs a top PG recruit.

Not sure what any of that has to do with people liking other teams. Its just someone making a statement that was quickly proven wrong....again.

3 hours ago, futurecoach said:

My question is what would you rather have to make you more excited about it? Obviously it is still not complete. However, from the looks of it they at worst will most likely have 2 of the 3 back in Jackson, Brooks, and Mintz. They also got a couple of top freshman coming in with Collins and TyTy. Then also a few of the top transfers. 

It is still not a finish product and we will see exactly how the roster turns out. However, IMO the roster is shaken out to be very nice. So I’m just curious what really is holding you back in how you view it currently?

A couple of lottery picks are missing IMO.  Cream of the crop talent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

That is a valid concern. To win an NCAA title, you need first round draft picks on your roster. Teams that win titles almost always have at least 2 NBA first round picks.

We can talk all we want about Cal, coaching, recruiting, etc., but the bottom line is no matter who the coach is, if you don't have the talent (2 or more NBA 1st rounders) you aren't going to win an NCAA title. I don't care if you are Coach K, Izzo, Wright, Drew, Bennett, Cal or any other coach you want to list. You need those NBA 1st rounders to win the title.

• Like 1

Looking at recent NBA mock drafts, there is a possibility this year's UK team will have zero first round draft picks.

Clarke was the surest first rounder but the tragic car wreck took him away.

Boston is now being listed in the second round by the majority of the mock drafts I have looked at. 

Jackson is hovering at the end of the first or early second round. 

13 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

I could be wrong but I believe TyTy and Collins are both guys projected as having a chance at the lottery. Then if Jackson does return, there is a great chance he ends up in the lottery and possible top 5 guy. 

14 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

I could be wrong but I believe TyTy and Collins are both guys projected as having a chance at the lottery. Then if Jackson does return, there is a great chance he ends up in the lottery and possible top 5 guy. 

And there you go RP. FC is right.

Collins projected #11 in 2022 NBA draft.

TyTy Washington #16.

Jalen Hardy is projected #2 but he apparently just opted to go to the G League.

3 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I don't think either of those guys are lottery talent, but again, I hope to be wrong.

Of course, BJ Boston and Terrence Clarke were two talents I was really excited about and they didn't have lottery type seasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

And there you go RP. FC is right.

Collins projected #11 in 2022 NBA draft.

TyTy Washington #16.

Jalen Hardy is projected #2 but he apparently just opted to go to the G League.

Hardy is the type of kid that I am talking about.  I don't think Collins or Washington are that caliber of player.

I don't think they are comparable to Fox & Monk. Wall & Cousins, MKG & Davis, Randle, Towns, Murray, etc.  I think Hardy does more closely compare to those guys. 

But here's to hoping they exceed expectations, ala Booker, SGA, Herro, etc.

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

That is a valid concern. To win an NCAA title, you need first round draft picks on your roster. Teams that win titles almost always have at least 2 NBA first round picks.

We can talk all we want about Cal, coaching, recruiting, etc., but the bottom line is no matter who the coach is, if you don't have the talent (2 or more NBA 1st rounders) you aren't going to win an NCAA title. I don't care if you are Coach K, Izzo, Wright, Drew, Bennett, Cal or any other coach you want to list. You need those NBA 1st rounders to win the title.

My concern is who do you give the ball to and say, "Go get a bucket."  I think Championship teams need a guy like that, but I don't see one here.  Granted, I only know what scouts have written about some of them.