Turf Fields for Baseball

Jumper_Dad

On 1/20/2021 at 2:42 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

I noticed that Somerset is in the process of putting Astroturf on their infield.

Is putting turf on baseball fields common or at least becoming more prevalent?

Which schools have "turf" baseball fields?

I don't think you'll ever see as many turf baseball fields as turf football fields, mainly because it's basically single use. Many teams benefit and can use a turf football field.

I'm not a fan of turf baseball fields, but with the weather for the 1st half of the season that we experience around here, it sure does make it a lot easier to play games and practice. And you can't even quantify the amount of time and effort that's saved on maintenance....it allows teams and coaches to focus on baseball rather than being part time groundskeepers.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I don't think you'll ever see as many turf baseball fields as turf football fields, mainly because it's basically single use. Many teams benefit and can use a turf football field.

I'm not a fan of turf baseball fields, but with the weather for the 1st half of the season that we experience around here, it sure does make it a lot easier to play games and practice. And you can't even quantify the amount of time and effort that's saved on maintenance....it allows teams and coaches to focus on baseball rather than being part time groundskeepers.

That's a great point about time saved. Our Coach it seems, spends as much time working on the field as he does coaching.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, rjs4470 said:

You say you aren't a fan and then rattle off multiple reasons why it is better than grass.

Color me confused 😕

-CardinalsFan

16 minutes ago, CardinalsFan said:

You say you aren't a fan and then rattle off multiple reasons why it is better than grass.

Color me confused 😕

-CardinalsFan

Turf is too "sterile". No bad hops, it takes away some of the strategy (bunting is much tougher and less effective on turf), and gives faster teams a big advantage. And I absolutely hate the way it looks...dirt just looks so much better. I simply prefer the way the game is played on grass opposed to the way it gets played on turf. While I'm not a fan of it aesthetically or the way it plays, I understand that the benefits of turf can outweigh what I don't like about it. I'll take playing on turf any day, over hours and hours of field maintenance and cancelled games due to poor field conditions. I'm not sure why that is confusing or why you are trying to paint me as someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

I feel the same way about turf for football as well. I'd rather play and watch the game on grass, but understand the advantages of playing on turf. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, CardinalsFan said:

Color me confused 😕

-CardinalsFan

If you love baseball the way baseball was meant to be played, you hate turf on a baseball field. 

However, because of the schizo Kentucky weather, it does have its advantages for high school teams. None of the advantages make the game better. They just make it so that games/practices can be held more consistently.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:44 AM, wrn1979 said:

If you love baseball the way baseball was meant to be played, you hate turf on a baseball field. 

However, because of the schizo Kentucky weather, it does have its advantages for high school teams. None of the advantages make the game better. They just make it so that games/practices can be held more consistently.

I'd think being able to play/practice more would be much BETTER and better for the game than not being able to play.