Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Turf Fields for Baseball

Featured Replies

I noticed that Somerset is in the process of putting Astroturf on their infield.

Is putting turf on baseball fields common or at least becoming more prevalent?

Which schools have "turf" baseball fields?

  • Replies 52
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Jumper_Dad
    Jumper_Dad

    That's like saying a dead spot on a basketball court where the ball won't bounce makes the game better. Or a divot on a soccer field or football field that players twist their ankles in, adds to the g

  • Holmes and Holy Cross Covington share a field that is all turf. I believe the Reds had some help with getting that done.

  • Jack of all Trades
    Jack of all Trades

    Bellevue as well.

Posted Images

Highlands has a turf infield. Trinity, St. X and Ballard all have turf. 

I believe Taylor County has added turf for baseball. All part of a huge renovation of their athletic facilities that included turf on their football stadium this past season.

Pleasure Ridge Park has a turf infield; I think their outfield is grass, though, if I recall correctly.

 

 

Beechwood is all turf. 

Holmes and Holy Cross Covington share a field that is all turf. I believe the Reds had some help with getting that done.

56 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

Holmes and Holy Cross Covington share a field that is all turf. I believe the Reds had some help with getting that done.

Bellevue as well.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:42 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

I noticed that Somerset is in the process of putting Astroturf on their infield.

Is putting turf on baseball fields common or at least becoming more prevalent?

Which schools have "turf" baseball fields?

I don't think you'll ever see as many turf baseball fields as turf football fields, mainly because it's basically single use. Many teams benefit and can use a turf football field.

I'm not a fan of turf baseball fields, but with the weather for the 1st half of the season that we experience around here, it sure does make it a lot easier to play games and practice. And you can't even quantify the amount of time and effort that's saved on maintenance....it allows teams and coaches to focus on baseball rather than being part time groundskeepers.

  • Author
55 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I don't think you'll ever see as many turf baseball fields as turf football fields, mainly because it's basically single use. Many teams benefit and can use a turf football field.

I'm not a fan of turf baseball fields, but with the weather for the 1st half of the season that we experience around here, it sure does make it a lot easier to play games and practice. And you can't even quantify the amount of time and effort that's saved on maintenance....it allows teams and coaches to focus on baseball rather than being part time groundskeepers.

That's a great point about time saved. Our Coach it seems, spends as much time working on the field as he does coaching.

On 1/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, ColonelMike said:

Pleasure Ridge Park has a turf infield; I think their outfield is grass, though, if I recall correctly.

 

 

Yes, you are correct.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, rjs4470 said:

I don't think you'll ever see as many turf baseball fields as turf football fields, mainly because it's basically single use. Many teams benefit and can use a turf football field.

I'm not a fan of turf baseball fields, but with the weather for the 1st half of the season that we experience around here, it sure does make it a lot easier to play games and practice. And you can't even quantify the amount of time and effort that's saved on maintenance....it allows teams and coaches to focus on baseball rather than being part time groundskeepers.

You say you aren't a fan and then rattle off multiple reasons why it is better than grass.

Color me confused ?

-CardinalsFan

16 minutes ago, CardinalsFan said:

You say you aren't a fan and then rattle off multiple reasons why it is better than grass.

Color me confused ?

-CardinalsFan

Turf is too "sterile". No bad hops, it takes away some of the strategy (bunting is much tougher and less effective on turf), and gives faster teams a big advantage. And I absolutely hate the way it looks...dirt just looks so much better. I simply prefer the way the game is played on grass opposed to the way it gets played on turf. While I'm not a fan of it aesthetically or the way it plays, I understand that the benefits of turf can outweigh what I don't like about it. I'll take playing on turf any day, over hours and hours of field maintenance and cancelled games due to poor field conditions. I'm not sure why that is confusing or why you are trying to paint me as someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

I feel the same way about turf for football as well. I'd rather play and watch the game on grass, but understand the advantages of playing on turf. 

On 2/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, CardinalsFan said:

You say you aren't a fan and then rattle off multiple reasons why it is better than grass.

Color me confused ?

-CardinalsFan

If you love baseball the way baseball was meant to be played, you hate turf on a baseball field. 
 

However, because of the schizo Kentucky weather, it does have its advantages for high school teams. None of the advantages make the game better. They just make it so that games/practices can be held more consistently.

  • Author
On 3/5/2021 at 12:44 AM, wrn1979 said:

If you love baseball the way baseball was meant to be played, you hate turf on a baseball field. 
 

However, because of the schizo Kentucky weather, it does have its advantages for high school teams. None of the advantages make the game better. They just make it so that games/practices can be held more consistently.

I'd think being able to play/practice more would be much BETTER and better for the game than not being able to play.

 

  • Author

I'll try to find a better shot when it's 100% complete. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.