Is Steve Lickert the Right Coach for Newport Central Catholic

BirdDaddy

1 hour ago, GC-Dragons said:

Hey Harry. 
If you looked at this years hires so far, 5 of the 7 coaches hired so far are previous head coaches. And most have 10-15 years or more in coaching. It’s hard for young guys to beat out guys with that many years of experience. 

Most years when I see openings, if young guys aren’t already in the program a more seasoned coach gets the opportunity when he applies over a new guy. I can’t say I fault the logic, but at the same time I see the issues for young and new coaches trying out for jobs. 
I honestly don’t know what the answer is, I think the bigger issue is what you eluded to earlier, keeping young and new coaches in and around the game. 

And there are a number of jobs open if a young coach really wants to try to be a HC. There is Western, Trimble, Evangle and maybe one or two others that would be open to hiring a new coach. Most established coaches wouldn’t touch those places. GRC will go to someone with experience more than likely. 

Now one piece of advice that is often given to young guys looking to be a HC. Don’t just take any HC position. If you go in and on paper it doesn’t look good then you’ll have a tough time getting another job. Heck Lickert and Barth both have done well and people still don’t think they look good on paper. People didn’t think the guy from South Oldham looked good on paper. If those guys don’t look good you can imagine hard of a sell others could be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I have a serious question for you and perhaps you know the answer and perhaps you don’t.  I have been told by several people that he did not apply thus did not interview.  Been told by others he applied but did not get interview.  If he applied and did not get interview I might reach out to administration and make sure they got my application.  

I don't know the answer but I wonder if you(Highland search committee, alumni, power brokers) would have reached out to him if you were going to seriously consider him? Did they? I don't have the answer.  

6 minutes ago, The sarge said:

I don't know the answer but I wonder if you(Highland search committee, alumni, power brokers) would have reached out to him if you were going to seriously consider him? Did they? I don't have the answer.  

I have never applied for a job in my professional career where I did not follow up. If Barth applied and did not follow up, that is a mistake by him. You probably don't know the answer to that. I am saying he needs to follow up if he wants the job. Let that committee know you want the job and want a chance to prove they should hire you.

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I have never applied for a job in my professional career where I did not follow up. If Barth applied and did not follow up, that is a mistake by him. You probably don't know the answer to that. I am saying he needs to follow up if he wants the job. Let that committee know you want the job and want a chance to prove they should hire you.

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't know but I agree with your assessment with the proviso that when I am looking to hire someone and I know there is a qualified candidate that has not applied I reach as well. Once again, I do not know if this happened and he declined or what. 

34 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

When it comes to head coaches, I think 40’s is young. They could be potentially coaching another 15 to 20 years. 

Agreed.  If you are in your 30’/40’s, you are a “young HC” IMO. For some reason in high school, at least as it seems in this state, it gets a little twisted. 

We could make a laundry list of coaches in college and NFL in their 50’s, 60’s and all is right in the world w that. Here in KY, though, for high school jobs?

...what’s those meme’s going around now w the younger woman and her grandmother on a walker? “It’s ok grandma- let’s get you to bed.”

B2AF42F5-9163-41F1-B23C-7AF3E179EDEC.jpeg

53 minutes ago, The sarge said:

I don't know but I agree with your assessment with the proviso that when I am looking to hire someone and I know there is a qualified candidate that has not applied I reach as well. Once again, I do not know if this happened and he declined or what. 

Do you reach out to all qualified candidates? If you had 25 qualified people apply for a position and 10 of them look like better candidates than the other 15, do you call those 15 and let them know they won't be called for an interview at this time? Or do you wait to see what happens as you work your way through the top 10 before contacting the other 15? If one of those other 15 called you and asked for a status update on the position or maybe requested a chance to have at least a phone interview, would that help their case?

Depends is the best answer.All qualified candidates would depend on what "qualified" means to the people looking. If I value them I do but not an apples to apples comparison. Barth is a alumni from the institution that is looking for the job and played on both Duffy and Mueller coached teams(understands history and culture) . He is still in the area and successful at his current job in the area.  He  has been with the same school for 11 years(loyalty). If those are not some of qualities that they are looking for then no I don't reach out to him(ie looking for an outsider). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

If I were a Highlands fan, the most concerning thing in Lickert's record is 1-10 five years into his tenure. A record like that is more understandable in the first couple years but in year five it causes doubt. But it happens. Marksberry had a 2-9 record at Simon Kenton more than 10 years in. Beatty had a 6-6 record at Trinity in 2013. But it would be something I would want the coach to be able to explain.

Talent, this is not the college game where you can bring in kids to build your program.  You only have so much help coming from your feeder school.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Talent, this is not the college game where you can bring in kids to build your program.  You only have so much help coming from your feeder school.

True but after 5 years wouldn't the coach be impacting the kids feeding into the program? And, dropping to 1-10 after 2 winning seasons is a pretty drastic drop.

8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

True but after 5 years wouldn't the coach be impacting the kids feeding into the program? And, dropping to 1-10 after 2 winning seasons is a pretty drastic drop.

Yeah, I get your point.  So, would you can Coach Cal after this year?  Most  all so called great coaches have a blemish or two on their records.

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

For private schools it is and some public schools with open enrollment. Plus private schools can be option for some kids from neighboring publics if public has bad coach or program.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Doesn’t impact genetics - 

You can have all the success you want in the world, but there is only so much “culture”, “excitement”, and all the fashionable - feel good buzz words that are fun for all of us to throw around. 

In the end, you have to take what walks through the doors of that school.  The cards YOU’RE dealt.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

Interesting post?  I have no knowledge but are you stating committee suggested one way and principal had a Dan Fogelberg moment and stated I am the leader of the band!  So move forward with other candidates.  Matt might have some explaining to do.  

Exactly what I was told. I can't say if it's 100% fact, but I assumed it was since I heard it from 4 different folks in Ft. Thomas. One of them works at HHS. They're not on any committee, but I figured if they work at the school they probably had good insight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GC-Dragons said:

Honest question Coach, Why do you think that is? I constantly see the same coaches being recycled and very few young coaches getting opportunities and most I know that are young that have applied always say schools want more experience. Only way to gain experience is to coach. It’s kinda a double edge sword. 

I respect your opinion a ton on these issues and can’t thank of a better man and person to ask. Thanks 

Getting your FIRST job is the toughest. You need to be on staff ( me @ Paris), late summer opening, get on the board as a 2nd/3rd choice & they get to you.  That is very tough and I was very frustrated going through it. 

why are there so few young coaches out there:

1-Fewer people going into education. And, of those who do & would be successful head coaches, many  end up going into administration instead of becoming a head coach so they can better provide for their family. 

2- When I was growing up, much less to do. HS 🏈 in my area... those guys were gods to us... Bo Yeast, Leonard Coulter, Dickie Mays, Tim Horn. Huge local media coverage (Bill & Larry Vaught).  That environment played out in several areas in KY & created a tremendous passion for Friday night HS football. Old guys like me... you can say we “love” football.... but more like an addiction. A huge part of who we are, part of our soul.... sounds crazy. A lot more choices for guys in the 21st century. 

3-Young guys more aware because of social media.... further south, HS 🏈 resources are much more available across the board. Several KY guys have told me they will never come back. Just too hard here compared to where they have been....GA, AL, etc. 

4- In all walks of life, “paying your dues”, has gone out of style. Some guys get out of coaching before they become a head coach.  Which is ok.... I love kids & football.... but being head coach is incredibly overrated. I had a whole lot more fun as an assistant. 

There are some really good young assistants out there that would make tremendous head coaches. I tell them all the time.... don’t take a job unless they give you what you need. Awful tough, and really not fair to those guys & their young families. 
  • Like 4