Is Steve Lickert the Right Coach for Newport Central Catholic

BirdDaddy

Look, NewCath is NewCath. It’s a family atmosphere up there with a proud tradition of their own and Lickert was a fantastic hire for them. He is a great leader for those kids and that program.

No doubt I believe Lickert will win and win big someday at NewCath. This imo will put him in the driver’s seat to someday make his choices.

Who knows, it might be sooner than later. And who knows he might wind up being a career guy at NewCath with lots of championships.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

Look, NewCath is NewCath. It’s a family atmosphere up there with a proud tradition of their own and Lickert was a fantastic hire for them. He is a great leader for those kids and that program.

No doubt I believe Lickert will win and win big someday at NewCath. This imo will put him in the driver’s seat to someday make his choices.

Who knows, it might be sooner than later. And who knows he might wind up being a career guy at NewCath with lots of championships.

And now if he has Geisler transferring in and Lickert can keep him from jumping ship somewhere else (which might be hard to do) he has a stud to build his team around for the next 3 years.....

11 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Highlands needs to hire him. I believe it will be a big mistake if they don't get him. He has been on some programs that would be hard for any coach to win. With Campbell he had them going in the right direction. Now with NCC, they went deeper in the playoffs each year he coached and this year they lost to the eventual state championship. Highlands is the guys dream job, he knows the Highlands formula to win as well. Would be a big miss for Highlands and a blessing for NCC. If he stays at NCC they will return to what Eddie had going and win some more state championships.

I wonder what NCC enrollment is like? They went back to 1A for the first time in awhile with the last realignment, and then the state doing the inter district for the first two rounds also was a positive for NCC.  So I am curious if NCC enrollment has gone up or not? If it has, they could be back in 2A with Beechwood. Meaning they would have to get by Beechwood in the second round. 

If NCC is able to stay in 1A, I agree he will get NCC a few Championships soon. If their enrollment went up, and they end up back on 2A in two more years. Then it all of a sudden gets a lot harder. So it will be interesting to see what happens with NCC in the next realignment in two years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I wonder what NCC enrollment is like? They went back to 1A for the first time in awhile with the last realignment, and then the state doing the inter district for the first two rounds also was a positive for NCC.  So I am curious if NCC enrollment has gone up or not? If it has, they could be back in 2A with Beechwood. Meaning they would have to get by Beechwood in the second round. 

If NCC is able to stay in 1A, I agree he will get NCC a few Championships soon. If their enrollment went up, and they end up back on 2A in two more years. Then it all of a sudden gets a lot harder. So it will be interesting to see what happens with NCC in the next realignment in two years. 

The Diocese of Covington website currently shows New Cath as having 239 total enrolled students. As we know, the KHSAA uses boys enrollment numbers for classifying football. When they realigned classes for 2019-2022 and New Cath dropped from 2A to 1A, the KHSAA showed New Cath's average boys enrollment numbers from the previous four school years at 184.5 boys. Glancing at the KHSAA's list, Pikeville (185.8), Crittenden County (187.0), Fort Knox (191.3), Bracken County (191.5), and Betsy Layne (196.8) were all larger 1A schools than New Cath.

Trimble County (189.0), Middlesboro (199.5), Owensboro Catholic (207.0) Newport (212.3), and Beechwood (216.5) were the five smallest schools in 2A at the time of the last realignment. I believe Trimble County requested to play up in 2A because of geographic isolation from other 1A programs, so Betsy Layne was given the opportunity to switch from being the smallest 2A school to the largest 1A school, and elected to do so.

It's currently the 3rd of 4 years used to average out enrollment numbers for the next realignment, and New Cath is barely showing enough total enrollment to qualify as a 2A school...and that's before you separate out just the male enrollment from their 239 students to figure out their football classification. I think, at least for the immediately foreseeable future, New Cath is going to be staying put in 1A.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The Diocese of Covington website currently shows New Cath as having 239 total enrolled students. As we know, the KHSAA uses boys enrollment numbers for classifying football. When they realigned classes for 2019-2022 and New Cath dropped from 2A to 1A, the KHSAA showed New Cath's average boys enrollment numbers from the previous four school years at 184.5 boys. Glancing at the KHSAA's list, Pikeville (185.8), Crittenden County (187.0), Fort Knox (191.3), Bracken County (191.5), and Betsy Layne (196.8) were all larger 1A schools than New Cath.

Trimble County (189.0), Middlesboro (199.5), Owensboro Catholic (207.0) Newport (212.3), and Beechwood (216.5) were the five smallest schools in 2A at the time of the last realignment. I believe Trimble County requested to play up in 2A because of geographic isolation from other 1A programs, so Betsy Layne was given the opportunity to switch from being the smallest 2A school to the largest 1A school, and elected to do so.

It's currently the 3rd of 4 years used to average out enrollment numbers for the next realignment, and New Cath is barely showing enough total enrollment to qualify as a 2A school...and that's before you separate out just the male enrollment from their 239 students to figure out their football classification. I think, at least for the immediately foreseeable future, New Cath is going to be staying put in 1A.

Thank you! It definitely helps NCC chances of winning a title by getting to stay in 1A. Even though it would have been fun to see them and Beechwood back in the same district again in 2A. Then having the three river schools, and I’m assuming Brossart all be in the same district in 1A. However, based off those numbers it definitely looks like NCC will be staying in 1A for awhile. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 9:47 PM, FrankNicodemus said:

And now if he has Geisler transferring in and Lickert can keep him from jumping ship somewhere else (which might be hard to do) he has a stud to build his team around for the next 3 years.....

What's up with that kid? Does he want to try every school in NKY b4 he graduates?