Is Steve Lickert the Right Coach for Newport Central Catholic

BirdDaddy

10 minutes ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

How do we know that HHS hasn’t reached back out to Coach Lickert. Or did I miss something

Exactly. And I don’t see anything but positive messages on his social media. People are crazy trying to tear down one of  our own, even if he is a little bitter. We would probably all feel the same way. ( which I don’t get from his social media anyway)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

How do we know that HHS hasn’t reached back out to Coach Lickert. Or did I miss something

Because If they did it would be a done deal by now and we wouldn’t have the 3 top threads on BGPs talking about the HHS job or people associated with it... as you say #justsayin

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I tend to agree. Something doesn’t add up. Is there something personal with Steve and the administration? Steve’s character has never been in question and he’s produced. HHS had their guy and he backed out. You’d think it would be an easy solution to go back to Steve. 

I heard the principal and Lickert graduated from HHS together and the principal had a grudge from ye olden days. Heard one of them was in the band and one of them was the star quarterback, or something like that. Imagine if Screech didn't want AC Slater to get hired back at Bayside to coach the wrestling team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Coach Lickert is an outstanding young football coach. 

Had a very successful AD say to me a few weeks ago.... "these programs that think they want a new coach. They better be careful what they wish for. I don't see that many young, good, quality head football coaches out there."

His words.... not mine. 

Honest question Coach, Why do you think that is? I constantly see the same coaches being recycled and very few young coaches getting opportunities and most I know that are young that have applied always say schools want more experience. Only way to gain experience is to coach. It’s kinda a double edge sword. 

I respect your opinion a ton on these issues and can’t thank of a better man and person to ask. Thanks 

• Like 2

Well, this may be the wackiest Highlands coaching thread yet. Not sure what to say about some of the posts above. But, I was looking at Lickert's coaching record the last 10 years and here is what I saw:

Campbell County

2011 ..... 4-8

2012 ..... 7-5

2013 ..... 8-4

2014 ..... 6-5

2015 ..... 1-10

2016 ..... 4-8

2017 ..... 7-5

Newport Central Catholic

2018 ..... 5-7

2019 ..... 10-3

2020 ..... 8-3

Total: 60-58

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GC-Dragons said:

Honest question Coach, Why do you think that is? I constantly see the same coaches being recycled and very few young coaches getting opportunities and most I know that are young that have applied always say schools want more experience. Only way to gain experience is to coach. It’s kinda a double edge sword. 

I respect your opinion a ton on these issues and can’t thank of a better man and person to ask. Thanks 

I’m very interested to hear his response too. I wonder if part of it is finding good assistant coaches. It is very hard to find good assistant coaches. If you have less assistant coaches you end up with less individuals ready to be HCs. Then look at the jobs that come open. Not too many people want to pick up and move to take HC jobs to get experience. Less people getting into education. People not staying in coaching like they used to which should open up jobs. The thing is if they start as an assistant and don’t stay then they never make it to being a HC. 

Currently you have a level of top tier coaches. They are guys that have coaching typically for a long time and/or that have had a lot of success. Some jump around a little but most stay put. 

Then you have the next tier of good coaches that many don’t know about or could even name. They don’t have the records that standout or their success is forgotten due to a down cycle. A number of these guys are known of by other coaches but mainly by region. 

Then you have the rest. Coaches that kind of come and go. They get out, disappear or move back to being assistant coaches places. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GC-Dragons said:

What coaches do you see getting recycled? Bc the vast majority of these jobs are guys NOT playing leapfrog & if they are, they’ve usually had a certain level(s) of success.  

More coaches are getting out of it altogether than in it- and, probably at a higher rate than ever before. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Oracle said:

I heard the principal and Lickert graduated from HHS together and the principal had a grudge from ye olden days. Heard one of them was in the band and one of them was the star quarterback, or something like that. Imagine if Screech didn't want AC Slater to get hired back at Bayside to coach the wrestling team.

Interesting post?  I have no knowledge but are you stating committee suggested one way and principal had a Dan Fogelberg moment and stated I am the leader of the band!  So move forward with other candidates.  Matt might have some explaining to do.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

Interesting post?  I have no knowledge but are you stating committee suggested one way and principal had a Dan Fogelberg moment and stated I am the leader of the band!  So move forward with other candidates.  Matt might have some explaining to do.  

I have no idea if that is what happened. There was a post in the other HHS thread where someone stated the Principal pulled the “I’m the Principal” card and nixed someone. So whoever posted that might be able to shed some light on that. 

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Well, this may be the wackiest Highlands coaching thread yet. Not sure what to say about some of the posts above. But, I was looking at Lickert's coaching record the last 10 years and here is what I saw:

Campbell County

2011 ..... 4-8

2012 ..... 7-5

2013 ..... 8-4

2014 ..... 6-5

2015 ..... 1-10

2016 ..... 4-8

2017 ..... 7-5

Newport Central Catholic

2018 ..... 5-7

2019 ..... 10-3

2020 ..... 8-3

Total: 60-58

I’m sure in 2015 was same coach as other years. Just shows talent you have more indicative of success than coaching ability. 

• Like 2