Is Steve Lickert the Right Coach for Newport Central Catholic

BirdDaddy

2 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Yeah, I get your point.  So, would you can Coach Cal after this year?  Most  all so called great coaches have a blemish or two on their records.

1 hour ago, Harry Doyle said:

Doesn’t impact genetics - 

You can have all the success you want in the world, but there is only so much “culture”, “excitement”, and all the fashionable - feel good buzz words that are fun for all of us to throw around. 

In the end, you have to take what walks through the doors of that school.  The cards YOU’RE dealt.

1-10 is not an automatic disqualifier. But it is something I would definitely be inquiring about in the interview. The next year his team was 4-8, which would lend itself to the genetics/talent explanation as at least part of the reason for 1-10 the year before. And by itself I would not be as concerned about a 4-8 as 1-10. 

In 29 seasons,, we have been 1-9 & 2-8....our staff and kids did a great job. Awful injuries. Kept the wheels on. Finished as strong as possible. Bounced back strong the following years. 

I could not disagree more with disqualifying a coach with that record. If you don’t give up.... you emerge from it a much better coach. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

1-10 is not an automatic disqualifier. But it is something I would definitely be inquiring about in the interview. The next year his team was 4-8, which would lend itself to the genetics/talent explanation as at least part of the reason for 1-10 the year before. And by itself I would not be as concerned about a 4-8 as 1-10. 

I can’t speak on personal dealings w a bigger “county” school like Campbell County, but I know for a fact that for sooooooooo many of your more rural/small town (talking less than 3-4K in the county seat) schools (let’s say 1A-4A), soooo many of your programs the majority of the years are literally hanging on by a thread when it comes to depth/overall talent. 

...and, that “thread” usually is hanging into the wings of a handful or so of skill guys that can make or break your season.  I’ve seen teams win Region Titles, that had they lost 1-2 guys wouldn’t have even made it close to .500 and I’ve seen teams that would’ve been a VERY OVERACHIEVING at best .500 team lose a couple guys at key spots and go 0’fer.

Conversely, I’ve see those teams not lose anybody- despite having those handful of kids NEVER come off the field Bc you just can’t afford for them to and you somehow manage to make that .500 mark (+\- 1 game).

...and, the “Culture” be every bit as good (and, in some cases BETTER) on those worse years. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Well, this may be the wackiest Highlands coaching thread yet. Not sure what to say about some of the posts above. But, I was looking at Lickert's coaching record the last 10 years and here is what I saw:

Campbell County

2011 ..... 4-8

2012 ..... 7-5

2013 ..... 8-4

2014 ..... 6-5

2015 ..... 1-10

2016 ..... 4-8

2017 ..... 7-5

Newport Central Catholic

2018 ..... 5-7

2019 ..... 10-3

2020 ..... 8-3

Total: 60-58

What you don’t see-  

2 district titles at CC. First time in over fifty years I believe. 

Hosted and played in more playoff games than any other coach in CC history. 

Beat Highlands, first time in how long? 

Winningest senior class in CC history. 

2018- CC went I believe 8-3 and hasn’t won since. Product of Lickerts program? I would say so. 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

I can’t speak on personal dealings w a bigger “county” school like Campbell County, but I know for a fact that for sooooooooo many of your more rural/small town (talking less than 3-4K in the county seat) schools (let’s say 1A-4A), soooo many of your programs the majority of the years are literally hanging on by a thread when it comes to depth/overall talent. 

...and, that “thread” usually is hanging into the wings of a handful or so of skill guys that can make or break your season.  I’ve seen teams win Region Titles, that had they lost 1-2 guys wouldn’t have even made it close to .500 and I’ve seen teams that would’ve been a VERY OVERACHIEVING at best .500 team lose a couple guys at key spots and go 0’fer.

Conversely, I’ve see those teams not lose anybody- despite having those handful of kids NEVER come off the field Bc you just can’t afford for them to and you somehow manage to make that .500 mark (+\- 1 game).

...and, the “Culture” be every bit as good (and, in some cases BETTER) on those worse years. 

Agree with all this.

Campbell County is a 6A school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefSmoke said:

In 29 seasons,, we have been 1-9 & 2-8....our staff and kids did a great job. Awful injuries. Kept the wheels on. Finished as strong as possible. Bounced back strong the following years. 

I could not disagree more with disqualifying a coach with that record. If you don’t give up.... you emerge from it a much better coach. 

Agree with this too. That's why I said 1-10 is not a disqualifier. It is a topic in an interview.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haze said:

What you don’t see-  

2018- CC went I believe 8-3 and hasn’t won since. Product of Lickerts program? I would say so. 

Good point about Campbell County record since Lickert left. One win in 2019 and two wins in 2020.

3 hours ago, haze said:

What you don’t see-  

He definitely had CC going in the right direction. And NCC will head same way I’m sure. Like I said earlier, I think his time will come at Highlands. Little more seasoning and maybe a couple State Championships, he will get his pick. Next time around. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

He definitely had CC going in the right direction. And NCC will head same way I’m sure. Like I said earlier, I think his time will come at Highlands. Little more seasoning and maybe a couple State Championships, he will get his pick. Next time around. 

Thata way Tdy... #GoBreds

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NKYCoach859 said:

What about Coach Lickert's resume stands out and makes people feel like he would be a good hire at Highlands? Just curious.

Highlands needs to hire him. I believe it will be a big mistake if they don't get him. He has been on some programs that would be hard for any coach to win. With Campbell he had them going in the right direction. Now with NCC, they went deeper in the playoffs each year he coached and this year they lost to the eventual state championship. Highlands is the guys dream job, he knows the Highlands formula to win as well. Would be a big miss for Highlands and a blessing for NCC. If he stays at NCC they will return to what Eddie had going and win some more state championships.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NKYCoach859 said:

What about Coach Lickert's resume stands out and makes people feel like he would be a good hire at Highlands? Just curious.

I think the Pro Lickert would say bc he is a HHS alum, I just wonder if you look past the fact that he is a HHS alum would his resume really excite people? I get that he has had a passion to want to be the HHS coach since day 1, but man I would like to hear some really positives about the guy to want to pull the trigger now. I agree with TFVH that if he continues on an upward path maybe next time....unless HHS cant find someone now maybe I guess the time is now. I am torn....where are the leaks to know how the wind is blowing???

On 1/17/2021 at 3:31 PM, The Oracle said:

Exactly what I was told. I can't say if it's 100% fact, but I assumed it was since I heard it from 4 different folks in Ft. Thomas. One of them works at HHS. They're not on any committee, but I figured if they work at the school they probably had good insight.

If you have heard this from different sources, chances are good that same rumor has reached Lickert.  Would explain some frustration... He’s a top quality individual and nobody wants to be treated unfairly.

• Like 2