College Football Is Broken: How To Fix It

Walter

Just now, Walter said:

I think 12 is a good number. 6 AQ and 6 auto bids. Keeps it from being too watered down.

Do we really want to see Bama/Clemson/OSU against the MAC or Sun Belt champ in the first round of a 16 team format?

Actually I do.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, theguru said:

Actually I do.

Fair enough. 

I'm definitely interested to see the route they take. Could be a game changer for sure with talent being more evenly distributed across college football. 

The blue bloods will still land the 5* and high 4* kids but I think you would potentially see more kids opting to play for the "hometown team" since there would be a clearer path for a playoff spot and chance to play for a championship. 

1 minute ago, Walter said:

Fair enough. 

I'm definitely interested to see the route they take. Could be a game changer for sure with talent being more evenly distributed across college football. 

The blue bloods will still land the 5* and high 4* kids but I think you would potentially see more kids opting to play for the "hometown team" since there would be a clearer path for a playoff spot and chance to play for a championship. 

This!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Walter said:

I think 12 is a good number. 6 AQ and 6 auto bids. Keeps it from being too watered down.

Do we really want to  see Bama/Clemson/OSU against the MAC or Sun Belt champ in the first round of a 16 team format?

Or it could be the AAC or WAC champ against OSU/Bama or Clemson. LOL

Just now, punttheball said:

Or it could be the AAC or WAC champ against OSU/Bama or Clemson. LOL

Sounds like a great recruiting pitch, we played Bama to three touchdowns last year and we are going to be better this year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, theguru said:

I get that knowing what I know but my point is we need to spread the wealth and a 16 team playoff will eventually do that. 

The better teams from those conferences have been trying to get Power 5 teams to play them for years (unsuccessfully).  The Power 5 teams don't want to risk the upset.  Now, the match-ups can happen!

• Like 1

My preference would be 8 team play off but if it were going to be 12 teams, seeds 1-4 get byes to the second round and then let MAC, Sunbelt, PAC10, etc. champions weed out the weaker teams amongst them and let the stronger teams among them move to the second round to play seeds 1-4 (Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc.) which you would think would decrease the likelihood of boring blow outs in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

The system now is working perfectly.

I’ve never been less invested in college football, and the majority of fans that aren’t part of the Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State fanbases are in the same boat. This is the worst system they’ve ever had as currently comprised. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, DragonFire said:

I’ve never been less invested in college football, and the majority of fans that aren’t part of the Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State fanbases are in the same boat. This is the worst system they’ve ever had as currently comprised. 

If the majority of fans are in the same boat in that they are less invested in college football, the college playoffs are getting some pretty impressive ratings on just three fan bases (granted two of those fan bases I imagine are #2 and 3 in size of fan bases).

My guess is the fan bases of SEC, ACC and Big 10 conferences are very interested and the Big 12 to a somewhat lesser degree but most of those fan bases agree with the rest of college football fan bases that expanding the playoffs should be done.

• Like 1