College Football Is Broken: How To Fix It

Walter

10 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Expanding to 12 and giving the Top 4 a bye does absolutely nothing. 

Why? You really think adding UGA, Oklahoma, Florida, and Texas A&M at full strength with no opt outs wouldn't add juice to some of those match ups in the elite 8? Here's how it would have played out this year (assuming 6 AQ, 6 at large):

5 Texas A&M ( At Large) v 12 Oregon (Pac 12 AQ)

6 Oklahoma (B12 AQ) v 11 Indiana (At Large)

7 Florida (At Large) v 10 Iowa State (At Large)

8 Cincinnati (G5 AQ) v 9 Georgia (At Large)

Elite 8, assuming higher seed/favorite wins:

1 Bama v 9 Georgia

2 Clemson v 7 Florida

3 Ohio State v 6 Oklahoma

4 Notre Dame v 5 Texas A&M

Are we confident we end up with the same 4 team semi final in that scenario?

I could very easily see Ohio State and Notre Dame losing in that set up and Florida potentially outscoring Clemson. 

I don't think a 12 team playoff is that crazy.

How important is it for G5 teams that UC beat Georgia?

Are all the P5 schools and fans rooting for Georgia?

If UC wins, does it have any impact on college football?

Personally, the UC Georgia game is the only college game I will make it a point to watch. It is appointment TV for me. I honestly don't even know what day or time the playoff games are being played.

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

How important is it for G5 teams that UC beat Georgia?

Are all the P5 schools and fans rooting for Georgia?

If UC wins, does it have any impact on college football?

Personally, the UC Georgia game is the only college game I will make it a point to watch. It is appointment TV for me. I honestly don't even know what day or time the playoff games are being played.

Triple header today, just turn UC on and go with the flow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

If they stay with a 4 team playoff, I want the loser of a conference title game eliminated from consideration. If #1 beats #2 in the SEC title game, sorry #2 but you are not eligible for the 4 team playoff. You have to be conference champion to make the 4 team playoff.

I want to see the best four teams myself.

14 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

I want to see the best four teams myself.

Impossible. It is too subjective and too much money on the line. Did the best four teams play last night? My takeaway looking at those scores from last night is the ACC was way overrated and we end up with two ACC teams in the title because of money and subjectivity. 

If you make the conference title games elimination games it is a quasi extension of the playoffs and takes some subjectivity out of the process.  

1 minute ago, theguru said:

A 16 team playoff should accomplish that. 

No doubt it would. 

Still, if it remains four teams, I want to see the four best.  It's undoubtedly a subjective process, but I don't like penalizing a conference for being strong or rewarding one for being weak.

Just now, Randy Parker said:

No doubt it would. 

Still, if it remains four teams, I want to see the four best.  It's undoubtedly a subjective process, but I don't like penalizing a conference for being strong or rewarding one for being weak.

I am with VoR and some others on this, in short, college football is too corrupt to always give us the best four teams. 

Just now, theguru said:

I am with VoR and some others on this, in short, college football is too corrupt to always give us the best four teams. 

I don't disagree about the corruption, but you're always going to have that when this much money is involved.  College sports is pretty filthy.

2 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I don't disagree about the corruption, but you're always going to have that when this much money is involved.  College sports is pretty filthy.

Unless the NCAA gets their act together but I won't hold my breath.  Plus, I think there is a lot less incentive to sneak teams in when you get up in the teens. 

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, theguru said:

Great news!

I would go with 16 for good measure.

And I am really looking forward to college football season. 

I think 12 is a good number. 6 AQ and 6 auto bids. Keeps it from being too watered down.

Do we really want to see Bama/Clemson/OSU against the MAC or Sun Belt champ in the first round of a 16 team format?