College Football Is Broken: How To Fix It

Walter

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

I mean the answer is kind of simple, but some people won’t like it. The Group of 5 needs their own playoff. 

Or the NCAA needs to step in and attempt to level the playing field but I fear that horse left the barn a long time ago. 

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Or the NCAA needs to step in and attempt to level the playing field but I fear that horse left the barn a long time ago. 

That’s the point I’m trying to make. The NCAA can only regulate the eligibility of the athletes. They have no power in being able to level the playing field. The FBS conferences hold that power and no one is willing to give ground. That’s the issue. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

That is the way it has worked out. Agree?

If we include the BCS Championship that started in 1998, it has been all P5 teams.

Power 5 basically have their own playoff...Big 10, SEC, PAC 12, ACC and Big 12.

Group of 5 doesn't really get to go to the playoff. LOL.

Group of 5 is the MAC, Sunbelt, AAC, Conference USA and Mountain West.

To me saying the Power 5 have their own playoff is more accurate then saying the Group of 5 does. BTW, I think we are saying the same thing, just saying it different.

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

Not going to lie, I’m confused 🤷🏻‍♂️ 
Did you mean Power 5? Because Group of 5 is different than Power 5. 

16 minutes ago, punttheball said:

Power 5 basically have their own playoff...Big 10, SEC, PAC 12, ACC and Big 12.

Group of 5 doesn't really get to go to the playoff. LOL.

Group of 5 is the MAC, Sunbelt, AAC, Conference USA and Mountain West.

To me saying the Power 5 have their own playoff is more accurate then saying the Group of 5 does. BTW, I think we are saying the same thing, just saying it different.

Yeah, I can see how that was confusing. That post was meant to be a sarcastic joke referring to the Power 5 championship/playoff. I was saying since no team outside the Power 5 has made it into this supposed college playoff since 1998, it is already a Power 5 playoff, not a college championship playoff.

As to the G5 having their own playoff, I  will pass on that and every G5 team should also. The G5 needs to fight for that TV money. College football would be more interesting if there were more teams in a playoff and more upset opportunities.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

As to the G5 having their own playoff, I  will pass on that and every G5 team should also. The G5 needs to fight for that TV money. College football would be more interesting if there were more teams in a playoff and more upset opportunities.

The literally couldn’t disagree more. No tv company is going to fork over large amounts of money for games nobody outside of that fanbase cares about. College football would be best having a level playing field for the power 5 schools. There are 65 power 5 conferences teams. Add 10 more like UC, BYU, Boise, UCF, App State, etc. and call it a day. Create another division of college football. I just don’t see the point to be honest with you. The Power 5 is broken. The G5 doesn’t have a chance nor should they really have a chance to begin with. Give them their own playoff. I just don’t see how it helps the sport at all. The focus should be on creating parity where it matters. 

22 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

The literally couldn’t disagree more. No tv company is going to fork over large amounts of money for games nobody outside of that fanbase cares about. College football would be best having a level playing field for the power 5 schools. There are 65 power 5 conferences teams. Add 10 more like UC, BYU, Boise, UCF, App State, etc. and call it a day. Create another division of college football. I just don’t see the point to be honest with you. The Power 5 is broken. The G5 doesn’t have a chance nor should they really have a chance to begin with. Give them their own playoff. I just don’t see how it helps the sport at all. The focus should be on creating parity where it matters. 

The fatal flaw in all that is there is no TV money for a G5 playoff. No one will care. A G5 playoff means the P5 rich get richer.

42 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The fatal flaw in all that is there is no TV money for a G5 playoff. No one will care. A G5 playoff means the P5 rich get richer.

I don’t mean to be blunt about it, but no one really cares now. I’m not sure how it would be any different. It would just be in writing. The fatal flaw isn’t that there isn’t any money in it. The fatal flaw is the 10 conferences wouldn’t agree to it. Nobody is looking out for what’s in the best interest of the sport. In my opinion, what’s in the best interest of the power 5 is to: 1) Equitable TV deals for each conference.

2) Conference realignment and addition of a select group of G5 schools.

3) Equal number of teams in each conference and equal number of conference games. 

What’s in the best interest of what’s left of the group of 5? Have a group of 5 playoff and call it day. 

• Like 1