College Football Is Broken: How To Fix It

Walter

23 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I think with NIL now implemented the big teams will just be stronger now. No group of 5 team going to be able to compete with the amount of money kids will get going to Power 5 conference teams and especially the SEC teams where football is a religion.

I disagree with this. Bigger market teams will thrive off of the NIL (regardless of conference affiliation) for the simple fact there's more opportunities in their area.

These kids aren't going to be making money off national brands. The majority of it will come from being paid by the local businesses in the area to mention them in posts or doing an autograph session. Does that mean a few schools with rich boosters will take advantage? Sure. But that isn't happening just in the SEC. A lot of schools out there with wealthy business owning alums/boosters. 

Also, the amount you are able to make off your NIL is going to have more to do with your social following than who you play for. 

The Cavinder (sp?) Twins that play for Fresno State Women's hoops just signed a 6 figure deal with Boost Mobile and another company because of the 5+ mil followers they have between IG and Tik Tok. 

LSU has a gymnast that is receiving similar deals due to her massive social media following. 

Women's athletes are the biggest winners with the new NIL rules and their earnings , IMO,  will far exceed what we see the majority of men's college athletes getting. 

This is a big change to college sports but won't change it as much as some are thinking. 

As for the college football playoff expanding and how it will affect the "G5 teams" and the rest of college football, I love this quote from UC CB Coach Perry Eliano in a recent Justin Williams article on The Athletic:

The Bearcats still encounter familiar derision on the (recruiting) trail, home or away, with opposing programs suggesting that Fickell will leave for a bigger job or reminding prospects that Cincinnati isn’t in a Power 5 conference. UC coaches simply respond that Fickell has had every opportunity to leave and hasn’t, that he’s an Ohio guy and his son is a freshman on the team, and they point to the impending College Football Playoff expansion tipping the scales in their favor.

"Guess what, we’re going to be in the 12-team playoff going for a national championship, and those guys telling you that, they’re in the middle of the pack in their conference and will never sniff it,” Eliano said.

Personally think that was him taking a shot at programs like Kentucky and pretty much everyone in the B1G not named OSU, but that's just my opinion. 

I was on a zoom meeting with the UC AD yesterday morning and he seems to think this gets done with 2023 as the first year of a 12 team playoff, based off the discussions he's had.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Walter said:

Dabo stated in an interview that he doesn't want a 12 team playoff. His team doesn't want to play more games and he doesn't think there's 12 teams good enough to expand. 

Three teams that don't want a 12 team playoff...Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State.  No surprise there.

• Like 3

On 7/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, nikeman49 said:

If you guys think football is broken now, just wait until these teams moving from conference to conference are finished, then take a look!

How does realignment break college football further, in your opinion?

On 7/26/2021 at 7:50 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

I don't think Texas and Oklahoma would be going to SEC if weren't going to 12 team playoff. I think that is big key. Much harder to make 4 team playoff playing in SEC compared to Big 12. 

They're 100% expanding to a 12 team playoff. Sankey knew what he was doing when talks started with OU/TX to the SEC. 

It's the other conferences that pushed for expansion... But the SEC that will benefit the most. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walter said:

They're 100% expanding to a 12 team playoff. Sankey knew what he was doing when talks started with OU/TX to the SEC. 

It's the other conferences that pushed for expansion... But the SEC that will benefit the most. 

I agree, the playoff expansion will be a boon for the SEC.

Looking to the immediate future assuming OU/Texas are already in the SEC. A 12-team playoff will look something like this in most years.

B1G- Ohio State lock, with PSU probable most years, Wisconsin most years, random other school having a great season....so on an average year B1G will get two or three teams in, with four teams being possible. 

ACC/ND- Clemson lock, ND probable, Miami/FSU could make a run at any time, UNC/Duke/VaTech likely one of those three make a run each year. ACC/ND probably going to average three teams on any given season.

PAC- no locks, USC, Oregon, Stanford, Washington one of that group will likely get in on a yearly basis. I think the ceiling for the PAC is 3, but for now no more that 2 will get in and most years only 1.

Big 12- who knows??? Let's say for now they will average one spot per year.

Non-power conference teams, 1 team for now. But if the best of those teams all roll into the big 12, they may lose their auto bid.

SEC- Alabama (until Saban leaves), UGA, more years than not, Oklahoma more years than not. That leaves Florida, LSU, Texas, A&M, Auburn, and the rest of the SEC to battle it out for a fourth spot, if one is available. 

Talk of the SEC getting 5 or even 6 teams in the playoffs looks nearly impossible based on current team trends. It would take down years by both the ACC and B1G for that to even have a chance of happening. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

Not realignment, just teams jumping around because of the almighty dollar!!

It would be fiscally irresponsible if the universities didn't look to better their financial positions. At the end of the day Texas and OU don't owe the other schools anything other than what's in their contracts. In nearly every sport they are going to be more challenged year in and year out in the SEC than they are currently.

I don't remember people being this upset when teams left their conferences to join the ACC, B1G or PAC.

On 12/29/2020 at 5:43 PM, Walter said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-to-fix-the-college-football-playoff-problem-210911186.html

College football isn't competitive anymore. It's Alabama and Clemson. It's the haves and the have-nots. Is there a way to fix that?

It’s really like 6-7 teams. The SEC is going to try to get them all. Then the SEC will be the top league. Might be kind of cool. 

21 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

It would be fiscally irresponsible if the universities didn't look to better their financial positions. At the end of the day Texas and OU don't owe the other schools anything other than what's in their contracts. In nearly every sport they are going to be more challenged year in and year out in the SEC than they are currently.

I don't remember people being this upset when teams left their conferences to join the ACC, B1G or PAC.

This is the SEC, no comparison to any other conference, just to many teams IMO

• 1 month later...

SEC Implements Education Based Benefits for Athletes

The surprise is not that the SEC is the first conference to use Alston for its benefit; rather, it's the fallout that comes from the announcement. Additional educational benefits give the nation's most powerful conference, at least for now, a recruiting advantage. That's at least the way it will be portrayed by other coaches and administrators

SEC schools who give Alston benefits can promise internships that involve overseas travel and even transportation if a car is deemed an educational benefit. It's reasonable to expect all 14 SEC programs will provide football and basketball athletes the full amount of the benefit.