Breonna Taylor Killed In Her Apartment by LMPD Officers

TheDeuce

I only heard about this a couple of days ago and have read/seen little. I want to make sure that I have this correct. Her boyfriend fired a gun during the execution of a drug warrant and the police shot her, not him? Eight times? Is that correct?

Yes. They fired 20 rounds into the apartment. He fired one, striking an officer.

He has been arrested and charged with first degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.

I believe they would have announced police as they went in, also would have been decked out in police gear. This is a very unfortunate situation.

If the police bust in someones apartment at 1:00am, even announcing themselves, do they expect people to wake up, realize what's happening, and be coherent enough not to shoot them? That is an absurd expectation.

If the police bust in someones apartment at 1:00am, even announcing themselves, do they expect people to wake up, realize what's happening, and be coherent enough not to shoot them? That is an absurd expectation.

I don’t know if I have any good answers on this one. I think shooting first and asking questions later is a dangerous procedure, but if it’s 1am that’s tough. Then again, police like military probably go for the element of surprise.

I agree. Would be interesting to know what police cameras show. I would think you would have to repeatedly announce that you are the police.

I fully admit that I don’t know much about police procedures, but isn’t it more dangerous for officers to do this kind of thing in the middle of the night? I suppose you have the element of surprise, but this seems to illustrate the perfect reason why you shouldn’t do it.

I'm not saying that at all. In fact the constable I referenced was being arrested for violating peoples rights, making false claims on warrants, keeping evidence, false arrest and a myriad of other things.

My point was, it makes no sense to not announce who they were even if it's coming through the door. They don't want to be confused for a burglar and shot either.

No doubt. We all know that everything the cops do is the sensible and most rational thing. That’s why they do it. I’m with you, JD. The cops did everything right in this situation. Any specilation otherwise is just people who hate the police. The police are here to protect and serve. I’m sure we’ll find out all about how Kenneth Walker’s is a longtime criminal and how this is just another smear campaign against Louisville’s finest.

Folks always complaining about the police. What kind of society would we have without the police? Folks need to show more respect. They better not call the cops when something happens to them. Ingrates.

I agree. Would be interesting to know what police cameras show. I would think you would have to repeatedly announce that you are the police.

I fully admit that I don’t know much about police procedures, but isn’t it more dangerous for officers to do this kind of thing in the middle of the night? I suppose you have the element of surprise, but this seems to illustrate the perfect reason why you shouldn’t do it.

They weren't wearing cameras.

No doubt. We all know that everything the cops do is the sensible and most rational thing. That’s why they do it. I’m with you, JD. The cops did everything right in this situation. Any specilation otherwise is just people who hate the police. The police are here to protect and serve. I’m sure we’ll find out all about how Kenneth Walker’s is a longtime criminal and how this is just another smear campaign against Louisville’s finest.

Folks always complaining about the police. What kind of society would we have without the police? Folks need to show more respect. They better not call the cops when something happens to them. Ingrates.

Not sure why all of the sarcasm directed at me. I didn't say they did it right. All I pointed out was it wasn't in a police officers best interest to not announce their presence.

Not sure why all of the sarcasm directed at me. I didn't say they did it right. All I pointed out was it wasn't in a police officers best interest to not announce their presence.

What sarcasm? I’m with you. If the cops went to the wrong address I’m sure that they would have a heartfelt apology to the innocent victims. The fact that they haven’t said anything tells me that they got their man. I guarantee they announced their presence immediately and I am certain that once the investigation is fully completed we’ll find out that the victims aren’t so innocent and that it is yet another attempt to smear the name of police officers. It truly does not make any sense at all for the police to not announce their presence and then open fire on wanted criminals. And why are people believing the criminals over the police anyways?

Sad times when the words and actions of police officers aren’t believed and defended by the very people they protect.

Do cops normally announce themselves before they kick down someones door?

No knock warrants aren't nearly as common as they were in the past, despite what TV police dramas try to show us. The law enforcement officer requesting said warrant has to show why there is a strong necessity for that type of warrant, whether it be a safety issue or destruction of evidence. Realistically though, if it's a good warrant any evidence destruction shouldn't matter much because they've already established enough evidence to get said warrant and arrest the subject they're looking to apprehend. Another thing to consider is the judge allowing a no knock warrant could be held liable if something goes wrong or it was a bad reasoning for a no knock warrant and they aren't trying to hang themselves with a signature. A standard search warrant requires that you knock and announce then give a reasonable amount of time for someone to answer. If no one answers, in they go.

I'm not saying that at all. In fact the constable I referenced was being arrested for violating peoples rights, making false claims on warrants, keeping evidence, false arrest and a myriad of other things.

My point was, it makes no sense to not announce who they were even if it's coming through the door. They don't want to be confused for a burglar and shot either.

Aren't constables still elected officials? Often times with little or no law enforcement training? Never made much sense to me.

Police want to knock and announce long enough so that if they have to kick in a door, the people on the other side of the door know its the police. They would much rather prefer someone just answer the door quickly. They don't want to knock and announce long enough for the person on the other side of the door to fortify their position or attempt to ambush them as they make entry.

I may have missed it, has the news said if this was a search warrant or an arrest warrant?