Breonna Taylor Killed In Her Apartment by LMPD Officers

TheDeuce

21 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

It doesn’t though, if they announced “police, open up,” or “police, we’re coming in,” they aren’t an intruder.

That’s why many of us want more facts.

Whether or not they announced absolutely matters. If they didn’t, they were breaking and entering and every person with a gun would have shot at someone breaking in their apartment in the middle of the night. LMPD knows that, so they have to try to make it look like they announced themselves. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

It doesn’t though, if they announced “police, open up,” or “police, we’re coming in,” they aren’t an intruder.

That’s why many of us want more facts.

They had a legal right to be there with or without announcing themselves before entering.  I think that's what VOR is getting at.  Now, I certainly get that people don't like that, but police had a legal right to make entry.  At the end of the day, those officers were following the laws and regulations put in place that evening.

• Like 5

If Breonna Taylor and Kenneth Walker were both white and a police officer was shot while making entry into the residence.  Does anyone honestly think that the police don't shoot back because of their race?  Does anyone think that they don't pursue a warrant or serve it at that time of night, simply because they were white?

27 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Whether or not they announced absolutely matters. If they didn’t, they were breaking and entering and every person with a gun would have shot at someone breaking in their apartment in the middle of the night. LMPD knows that, so they have to try to make it look like they announced themselves. 

And the often not acknowledged part of the scenario is that Kenneth Walker was telling people off the record that the cops were hollering and beating on his door so he shot first. But he has to make it look like the LMPD didn't announce themselves.

I sleep through my alarm clock sometimes. I slept through a car running into the tree in my front yard at 35 miles an hour one night. In college I slept through all kinds of crazy noise coming from the apartments near mine. But the LMPD has a resident from the apartment complex on record stating that they heard the LMPD announce themselves.

This whole situation sucks, but making Kenneth Walker out as a clear good guy and the LMPD out as evil lying bad guys isn't necessarily the truth. What sucks out loud is the fact that hardly any of the LMPD was wearing their body cams and the one guy who was had it turned off. If that wasn't the case there would be a much different scenario taking place in Louisville right now. Sucks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

If Breonna Taylor and Kenneth Walker were both white and a police officer was shot while making entry into the residence.  Does anyone honestly think that the police don't shoot back because of their race?  Does anyone think that they don't pursue a warrant or serve it at that time of night, simply because they were white?

Yes I absolutely believe that. That’s why people are protesting because they all believe that too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

They had a legal right to be there with or without announcing themselves before entering.  I think that's what VOR is getting at.  Now, I certainly get that people don't like that, but police had a legal right to make entry.  At the end of the day, those officers were following the laws and regulations put in place that evening.

They had a warrant, they had every right to be there.  But homeowners have a right to self-defense if someone kicks a door open after midnight.  This wasn’t a spec ops mission trying to capture an HVT.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan41 said:

That's about the dumbest thing I've read all YEAR, sad world we live in.

With you 100% here.  To think that only blacks would be shot in the situation as we know it speaks volumes about our society today.  There are laws in this country for a reason.  If you don’t like them pack up and move somewhere else.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

They had a warrant, they had every right to be there.  But homeowners have a right to self-defense if someone kicks a door open after midnight.  This wasn’t a spec ops mission trying to capture a HVT.  

That doesn't seem to be the issue here though.  It's been made very clear that it's a race issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan41 said:

That doesn't seem to be the issue here though.  It's been made very clear that it's a race issue.

I don’t necessarily look at it as a race issue.  I think it was a lack of training, lack of planning issue.  That’s why the city is paying out 12 million.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

You believe that the police wouldn't return fire, just because the shooters would be white?

I think the entirety of the situation would have played out differently if Walker and Taylor were white. If they were white, I don’t think the situation would have ever happened. The warrant wouldn’t have been served at night, body cams would have been on, they wouldn’t have knocked down the door, and most importantly Breonna Taylor would be alive. To answer the question you asked though, yes the officers would have fired back if Walker was firing at them, but I 100% believe they would have found a way to apprehend Walker and Taylor without lethal force if they were white. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

That's about the dumbest thing I've read all YEAR, sad world we live in.

It doesn’t matter if you believe it. It matters what the people believe that this is affecting. This is THEIR reality. I don’t and I’m assuming you don’t live your life in fear of law enforcement. I have zero negative encounters with police. But when I hear story after story of people who do fear law enforcement and feel as though they aren’t treated equally, I listen. I listen to them, I ask questions about why they feel that way, I open my eyes to realities besides my own, and I support them. 

• Thanks 1