BGP QOTD: What's The Coolest Thing You've Ever Done?

TheDeuce

I’ve hit 3 walk off home runs in my life.

2 in little league and 1 in high school.

Nothing beats that feeling...

I hit plenty of home runs in my life over 20 years of playing baseball from little league to college to semi-pro, probably over 1000 games. I can't remember ever having a walk off hit, let alone a walk off homer.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had to think about this for awhile. Becoming a father was beyond cool. So, that's right there at the top. After that, I'd have to go back 30 years or so when I was working in Cincinnati radio. One year, Red Baron pizza has some sort of promotion that we covered, and they had several vintage biplanes come in to town. After covering the event, we were invited to fly along with them. Now these weren't Sopwith Camels or whatever the German equivalent was that the actual Red Baron flew, but they were open seated biplanes. (I'm guessing probably a Stearman.) Was very surreal to be in the front seat flying over the Blue Ash/Kenwood area of Cincinnati.

To this day, I still remember the "talk" the pilot gave prior to getting in. "This is your parachute. If I tell you, unbuckle your seat belt, jump away from the plane, and pull this lever. Also, don't press on any of the pedals with your feet. And don't touch the stick."

I hit plenty of home runs in my life over 20 years of playing baseball from little league to college to semi-pro, probably over 1000 games. I can't remember ever having a walk off hit, let alone a walk off homer.

I played from the time I could swing a bat through a couple years of college.

You definitely need some luck to even have a shot at one.

The 2 in little league were both time games. The one in high school was down 1 run with a man on second.

The incredible thing about a walk off is the amount of time you have to savor the feeling as you round the bases.

Jogging around the diamond as the other team walks off the field and seeing 12 or so of your teammates gathered around home plate is an indescribable feeling...

Other than than all the cool things that come with family probably two things.

a) Getting PADI certification for scuba-diving while living and working in Florida during college. Did the checkout dive in John Pennekamp State Park, Florida's underwater coral reef park in the Keys.

b) Taking up coaching, playing and refereeing roller hockey and ice hockey after the age of 40. No checking, but still playing against 20-somethings trying to relive their glory days. Took Team Kentucky U14s to national finals as a coach in roller hockey State Wars tournament when it was hosted in Cincinnati.

Flat-lining Lake Trout in front of Plummer's Lodge in the middle of the night at Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories in 2001 during 24 hours of daylight.

You don't get that opportunity every day.

Sitting on the floor at Rupp Arena when our Brossart Mustangs beat Graves County in the 2000 State Basketball Tournament is right up there also.

No comparison to the births of my son/daughter and grandson.

As an amateur sports photographer who followed both my kids through their soccer and basketball careers, the coolest thing for me was to be on the floor at BB&T Arena as a photographer for our local newspaper when my daughter's team won the 2017 KHSAA Girls Sweet Sixteen. That heart pounding feeling as I was able to get the shot of my daughter, a senior (role player), get the rebound and have the ball at the end of game as she was overcome with emotion realizing the Lady Titans had just won their first state championship. Best sports photo I have ever taken!!

No comparison to the births of my son/daughter and grandson.

As an amateur sports photographer who followed both my kids through their soccer and basketball careers, the coolest thing for me was to be on the floor at BB&T Arena as a photographer for our local newspaper when my daughter's team won the 2017 KHSAA Girls Sweet Sixteen. That heart pounding feeling as I was able to get the shot of my daughter, a senior (role player), get the rebound and have the ball at the end of game as she was overcome with emotion realizing the Lady Titans had just won their first state championship. Best sports photo I have ever taken!!

That's awesome.

Teaching my son to fish with artificial lures and watching him catch his first bass on a BeetleSpin.

Co-Coaching my daughter's machine-pitch softball team one season...coaching little girls > little boys!!!

Surviving being hit by lightning.