Herd Immunity and Shelter-in-place policies

theguru

Are plumbers and electricians making house calls if we have an emergency? Do I have money for their fees? (NO :lol2:)

I am quarantined with a guy who can fix almost anything, with the right parts from ACE hardware.

I think most are. I just had my washer repaired (under warranty) and a plumbing repair done in a downstairs shower, both since the shutdown.

How do you know that? Seems bold to publicly speak for everyone, just because someone shows you the counter argument to staying home.

Just horrible.

I saw a historical based model that projects 77,000 Americans are likely to die from suicide and drug overdoses as a result of layoffs due to shutdown.

I do wonder if the situation we are in may help those awful projections. There has to be a some personal responsibility that isn't there in a normal job loss or economic downturn that the Lancet studies reviewed. The whole "we're in it together" has to help the guilt and despair. Of course if this stretches to next March...or longer...:down:

Mental health has been a focus of many states' plans to help their citizens. I hope that continues once this virus crisis ends.

I work in insurance. People need things sold at places like Lowes or Home Depot. Storm season is just starting. Tree limbs break windows put holes in roofs etc. Pipes break and flood houses, fires occur. You can't just sit around until this is over with a hole in your roof and water running in everytime it rains until the whole house is covered in mold.

As much as I would like to stay home during this time, I still have customers that need to be taken care of in their time of need when something happens to their home. I'm currently dealing with a fire that occurred a couple weeks ago. This family will be out of their home for quite a while as it is, you can't expect them to stay in temporary housing several months before they are even allowed to begin repairing their home.

People aren’t flooding hardware stores for the emergency situations you point out. Unless miraculously everyone’s stuff started breaking in the last month.

People “care” now because they are being inconvenienced. It’s pretty clear from my view. Maybe your experiences are different. We don’t have to agree.

We don’t have to agree, that’s true. Even if we just called it poverty, meaning if more people died from poverty, than the virus, that would change a lot of people’s perspective on the virus/economy. All I’m saying is we have to look at the big picture.

We don’t have to agree, that’s true. Even if we just called it poverty, meaning if more people died from poverty, than the virus, that would change a lot of people’s perspective on the virus/economy. All I’m saying is we have to look at the big picture.

I agree.

Everyone keeps saying it's lives vs the economy.

It's not. It's lives vs lives.

Uh oh. I was curious about the impact of a bad economy on death rates. I googled deaths caused by great depression and found this study:

Life and death during the Great Depression | PNAS

This study says death rates improved during the worst years of the depression and declined again in the years that the economy grew. Only suicides increased in the bad years and that was minimal impact overall.

This study is not good for those claiming the shutdown is causing deaths.

Uh oh. I was curious about the impact of a bad economy on death rates. I googled deaths caused by great depression and found this study:

This study says death rates improved during the worst years of the depression and declined again in the years that the economy grew. Only suicides increased in the bad years and that was minimal impact overall.

So you might not be immune even if you get CV, and it's not going to cause more death because the economy is down.

Running out of reasons to open things back up...

This makes sense to me. One thing we are good at as a country, is pulling together during the really tough times (not so much when things aren't tough), when the country as a whole is in trouble. Just from what I've seen lately, people have been friendlier, crime is down, folks are more charitable, and sympathetic. There's been no looting. No violent protests. All you hear is about how everyone is suffering financially in some way. Big difference mentally when you look around and everybody is struggling, than when your struggling alone and everyone else seems to be doing well.

Edited by rjs4470

This makes sense to me. One thing we are good at as a country, is pulling together during the really tough times (not so much when things aren't tough), when the country as a whole is in trouble. Just from what I've seen lately, people have been friendlier, crime is down, more charitable, and sympathetic. There's been no looting. No violent protests. All you hear is about how everyone is suffering financially in some way. Big difference mentally when you look around and everybody is struggling, than when your struggling alone and everyone else seems to be doing well.

This is so true!

The quarantine has leveled the playing field.

And it has diminished the stress of being left out or not measuring up.

Brag about your latest big purchase? Can’t.

Brag about your awesome vacation? Uh, no.

Brag about your latest party? No

Name drop who you hung out with? Not happening.

When's the last time the economy took a dip and didn't return?

Oh, never?

When is the last time we’ve had 20+ million without a job? The Great Depression. You simply can’t compare this to a traditional, sub-prime housing lending recession. This is different and it’s going to be a slow recovery. Who’s out blowing money right now which is 2/3rds of our economy? When will people feel safe blowing money again? What about all of the lost tax revenue at the state level which goes towards tons of social funding?

When is the last time we’ve had 20+ million without a job? The Great Depression. You simply can’t compare this to a traditional, sub-prime housing lending recession. This is different and it’s going to be a slow recovery. Who’s out blowing money right now which is 2/3rds of our economy? When will people feel safe blowing money again? What about all of the lost tax revenue at the state level which goes towards tons of social funding?

The economy will rebound.

I agree.

Everyone keeps saying it's lives vs the economy.

It's not. It's lives vs lives.

It's lives vs. lives + economy

Perfectly stated. Economy aside, I’m seeing early stage depression in my community from kids who missed half their senior year, senior prom, spring sports, spring break, possibly walking at graduation.

Perfectly stated. Economy aside, I’m seeing early stage depression in my community from kids who missed half their senior year, senior prom, spring sports, spring break, possibly walking at graduation.

Kids or the parents of those kids? All of those things while important to kids, always have seemed to me way more important to parents. Most wont even remember who they sat next to or who the speaker was at their graduation. How many do you think still talk to their prom date after 10 years? Or who the band was that played? If your senior year was the greatest year of your life, you didn’t do much of anything as an adult.