Herd Immunity and Shelter-in-place policies

theguru

Now do Italy and Spain, who are slowly opening up. Like I said, nobody is forcing anyone to leave their house if their afraid, or feel it’s unsafe due to their risk factors.

Just a question. How successful will a reopening be if 1/2 of the population doesn’t want to participate because they feel unsafe?

Sorry. Not buying it. If it was in Kentucky in December, why weren't there Wuhan like numbers in February? There would have been an increase in people in ICU, on ventilators and deaths by early February. Especially if you consider all the people who would have been exposed over Christmas and New Years.

There’s no way to know what the numbers were because they were calling it all the flu. The number who are requiring vents isn’t a high number, and the ones who were could’ve been presumed to have pneumonia or the flu. We didn’t know it existed in the US then, much less western Kentucky. To put it bluntly, you have no idea what treatment people were receiving here. There were A LOT of people assumed to have the flu down here but were testing negative. I know this for a fact.

Western Kentucky doesn’t have the dense population that Wuhan has. Simply putting it, people are spread out due to the rural nature of West KY.

There’s no way to know what the numbers were because they were calling it all the flu. The number who are requiring vents isn’t a high number, and the ones who were could’ve been presumed to have pneumonia or the flu. We didn’t know it existed in the US then, much less western Kentucky. To put it bluntly, you have no idea what treatment people were receiving here. There were A LOT of people assumed to have the flu down here but were testing negative. I know this for a fact.

Western Kentucky doesn’t have the dense population that Wuhan has. Simply putting it, people are spread out due to the rural nature of West KY.

Two people die on a ventilator that tested negative for the flu and had CV19 symptoms would have been discovered. Our doctors and nurses would not miss that.

One month after the first case was reported in Kentucky there were over 1,000 cases. There were 59 deaths. You are saying there were cases in Kentucky in December and it was two and a half months before one was officially reported.

Two people die on a ventilator that tested negative for the flu and had CV19 symptoms would have been discovered. Our doctors and nurses would not miss that.

One month after the first case was reported in Kentucky there were over 1,000 cases. There were 59 deaths. You are saying there were cases in Kentucky in December and it was two and a half months before one was officially reported.

Once again, you’re just assuming they would’ve thought it was something unique. That’s just not likely if they did not know this illness was here. People are sick and die on vents everyday. Most of your deaths are elderly and elderly having the flu and dying is not rare. Also, as I stated before, people were testing negative but still being diagnosed with the flu, myself included. The quote from the Dr. To me was, “you tested negative for the flu, but the test is only 50% accurate but you’re showing all symptoms and signs of the flu.”

Once again, you’re just assuming they would’ve thought it was something unique. That’s just not likely if they did not know this illness was here. People are sick and die on vents everyday. Most of your deaths are elderly and elderly having the flu and dying is not rare. Also, as I stated before, people were testing negative but still being diagnosed with the flu, myself included. The quote from the Dr. To me was, “you tested negative for the flu, but the test is only 50% accurate but you’re showing all symptoms and signs of the flu.”

Within the next few months you will find out if you have been exposed, but I have to agree with VOR, I don’t think this has been rampant. The mortality rate in KY would be extreme.

Case #1 in Kentucky on March 6.

One month later on April 6 there were 1,008 cases and that is with restrictions.

That is the way CV19 spreads. If there were 1 case in Kentucky in December, it would have been rampantly spreading by the first week of February. ICU's would be filling up and there would be a noticeable number of deaths.

One month later on April 6 there were 1,008 cases and that is with restrictions.

That is the way CV19 spreads. If there were 1 case in Kentucky in December, it would have been rampantly spreading by the first week of February. ICU's would be filling up and there would be a noticeable number of deaths.

I have read and watched so much and I can’t even corroborate the source, but it is in my brain: with the flu you may infect 14 people, with CV you can infect 59,000.

Just a question. How successful will a reopening be if 1/2 of the population doesn’t want to participate because they feel unsafe?

I don’t think half the population is afraid to leave their houses, Walmart suggest otherwise. I also think once the fear mongering subsides, people will feel more comfortable. We need to see where we’re at in early May.

Because a dictatorial government said so. Besides, it was never that bad there to begin with, right?

I couldn't tell you. I don't live there.

The first case there is now traced back as far as November, meaning they are now at five months since the first case.

How many months has it been here?

"Intermittent distancing may be required into 2022 unless critical care capacity is increased substantially or a treatment or vaccine becomes available," they wrote in their report. "Even in the event of apparent elimination, SARS-CoV-2 surveillance should be maintained since a resurgence in contagion could be possible as late as 2024."

The team at the Harvard School of Public Health used what's known about COVID-19 and other coronaviruses to create possible scenarios of the current pandemic.

"If intermittent distancing is the approach that's chosen, it may be necessary to do it for several years, which is obviously a very long time," Dr. Marc Lipsitch, an author on the study and an epidemiology professor at the Harvard School of Public Health, told reporters.

I’ll include @PurplePride92 as well, thoughts on hunkering down or intermittent distancing until 2022? Would this even be possible?

Within the next few months you will find out if you have been exposed, but I have to agree with VOR, I don’t think this has been rampant. The mortality rate in KY would be extreme.

I’m not saying it was rampant, but I’m saying I think it’s been here and they’re are experts out there who think so as well and that China didn’t disclose what they knew when they knew it.

Simply put, they were not testing for it. I do not believe for a split second that the first positive test, was the first case in KY. It’s just the first documented case.

I have read and watched so much and I can’t even corroborate the source, but it is in my brain: with the flu you may infect 14 people, with CV you can infect 59,000.

I don't doubt that somebody said that, but:

The past flu numbers from the CDC do not back that up. Since 2010 in the US the lowest flu year was 9.3 million people and the worst was 49 million people, and that is considering 46.8% of the population gets the flu vaccine.

"Intermittent distancing may be required into 2022 unless critical care capacity is increased substantially or a treatment or vaccine becomes available," they wrote in their report. "Even in the event of apparent elimination, SARS-CoV-2 surveillance should be maintained since a resurgence in contagion could be possible as late as 2024."

The team at the Harvard School of Public Health used what's known about COVID-19 and other coronaviruses to create possible scenarios of the current pandemic.

"If intermittent distancing is the approach that's chosen, it may be necessary to do it for several years, which is obviously a very long time," Dr. Marc Lipsitch, an author on the study and an epidemiology professor at the Harvard School of Public Health, told reporters.

I’ll include @PurplePride92 as well, thoughts on hunkering down or intermittent distancing until 2022? Would this even be possible?

It is for me. I‘ll be hunkering down until at least summer 2021. Y’all can go test the waters. I’ll be at home trying my hardest to not get infected but it will be difficult due to so many people relying on the economy for life.

Unless a miracle happens herd immunity is going to happen just like it did with the Spanish Flu because Americans are weak mentally.

It is for me. I‘ll be hunkering down until at least summer 2021. Y’all can go test the waters. I’ll be at home trying my hardest to not get infected but it will be difficult due to so many people relying on the economy for life.

Unless a miracle happens herd immunity is going to happen just like it did with the Spanish Flu because Americans are weak mentally.

And for the record I am 100% against herd immunity. I don’t believe in giving up and that is what herd immunity is. I’ll go to my grave saying this is/was preventable. We could be doing way more now to prevent herd immunity but eventually herd immunity is going to happen because we are dumb Americans.

It’ll probably be similar to how the Spanish Flu ended but I think the death numbers will be much lower than Spanish Flu but still way more deaths than there should have been.

Edited by PurplePride92