Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Herd Immunity and Shelter-in-place policies

Featured Replies

In a sense yes. Maybe not so much yet that it isn't going to spread. But there is one of two things going on in KY.

 

1. We're not testing enough and that is not giving us a true representation for what is happening in the state.

 

or

 

2. We've achieved some kind of a herd immunity. Probably not a completely effective herd immunity but it's enough to keep our numbers lower.

 

Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Missouri are all reporting significantly higher numbers then KY. All are reporting significantly higher infection rates. Sure, some may be due to population size.

 

Lastly, I won't speak in absolute certainties on this. It's still too new and there is so much inconsistent information out there to form absolute certainties. What I do know is it has been here long enough to know that it's not as deadly as what some are saying. It's not worth bringing our economy to its knees.

 

I have eight people in my work group. I'd put money on 3 out of the 8 already having the virus back in January. I coached eight young boys in basketball. I'd put money on 4 of them already having the virus back in February. I can't explain why or how I haven't gotten it unless I'm one of the asymptomatic people.

 

Until an effective antibodies test we are all guessing. My issue is that Kentucky would have seen more deaths earlier if we had CV running rampant. Deaths nor hospitalizations didn't start occurring until the disease made its way into the state, and then we shutdown before the :poop: hit the fan.

 

When New York City is only showing 21% of citizens have been exposed it's really hard to believe that Kentucky has had 60-70% exposed for herd immunity.

 

KY has to test more until that happens we are guessing and both options with guessing are bad.

  • Replies 201
  • Views 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire coronavirus/Covid situation has been and remains a complete guess-fest.

A few reports from Europe over the wkd.

1. Spain reported that serology reports are showing only 5% of their citizens have had the virus. Their numbers are still worse per million than the US.

 

2. France opened some schools and have already had to shut some down as kids have tested positive of COVID-19.

 

3. Sweden still not a model.

A few reports from Europe over the wkd.

1. Spain reported that serology reports are showing only 5% of their citizens have had the virus. Their numbers are still worse per million than the US.

 

2. France opened some schools and have already had to shut some down as kids have tested positive of COVID-19.

 

3. Sweden still not a model.

This is what I am afraid of.

There are 13 sailors on the USS Roosevelt that have become infected a second time.

 

Did they show symptoms the first time? If so, are the symptoms greater, lesser, or the same as last time? People get the flu all of the time, over and over again.

 

People still get SARS-COVID-1, the Nile, and Swine flu, too, who have had it before.

Did they show symptoms the first time? If so, are the symptoms greater, lesser, or the same as last time? People get the flu all of the time, over and over again.

 

People still get SARS-COVID-1, the Nile, and Swine flu, too, who have had it before.

 

Sorry, I don't know the details.

The results of a Spanish study involving COVID-19 antibody testing performed on 61,075 individuals from a total of 35,883 randomly selected households from locations all over Spain showed that numbers of individuals with antibodies are not likely to support herd immunity theories.

Spain has the third-highest number of cases in Europe, behind Russia and the United Kingdom. As of July 6, 2020 there are 250,545 confirmed cases and 28,385 deaths.

Spanish Covid-19 antibody study suggests herd immunity infeasible

On 7/7/2020 at 12:00 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The results of a Spanish study involving COVID-19 antibody testing performed on 61,075 individuals from a total of 35,883 randomly selected households from locations all over Spain showed that numbers of individuals with antibodies are not likely to support herd immunity theories.

Spain has the third-highest number of cases in Europe, behind Russia and the United Kingdom. As of July 6, 2020 there are 250,545 confirmed cases and 28,385 deaths.

Spanish Covid-19 antibody study suggests herd immunity infeasible

 

On 7/13/2020 at 10:13 AM, Voice of Reason said:

I have read a couple other reports that say herd immunity is unlikely to happen with CV19.

So that suggests that any vaccine based on building up antibodies is basically useless. 

40 minutes ago, swamprat said:

So that suggests that any vaccine based on building up antibodies is basically useless. 

I'm not sure I follow.

The way I was understanding it, the study was showing that there were not enough individuals testing positive for COVID-19 antibodies to suggest that herd immunity is feasible for fighting back against COVID-19.

My take on that was that that meant, if left to "natural order" without medical intervention (vaccines), it does not appear that enough people are developing the antibodies for herd immunity to work. Adding a vaccine into the scenario would increase the number of people developing COVID-19 antibodies.

3 hours ago, swamprat said:

 

So that suggests that any vaccine based on building up antibodies is basically useless. 

The issue isn’t that antibodies don’t prevent it. The issue is that not everyone that has had it develops antibodies. That’s why herd immunity is going to be hard to accomplish. At least that’s how it was explained to me. 

Herd immunity was a farce to begin with and still is. 

3 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm not sure I follow.

The way I was understanding it, the study was showing that there were not enough individuals testing positive for COVID-19 antibodies to suggest that herd immunity is feasible for fighting back against COVID-19.

My take on that was that that meant, if left to "natural order" without medical intervention (vaccines), it does not appear that enough people are developing the antibodies for herd immunity to work. Adding a vaccine into the scenario would increase the number of people developing COVID-19 antibodies.

I apologize. I took it a different way. I don't know where my brain was.  :classic_blush:

On 7/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, swamprat said:

 

So that suggests that any vaccine based on building up antibodies is basically useless. 

Other component of immune system is memory T cells that last longer than antibodies. SARS 1 which is a Corona virus that infected people showed that T cells lasted longer than a year. Vaccine being tested by Moderna produced antibodies as much as 4 times more than someone who had Covid so that means antibodies would last longer. The Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine also had T cell/ antibody response which bodes well for longer immunity. Could be that you just get a booster shot each year like flu shot

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.