Now that NCC has 2 straight, Will Schneider step up and play HHS?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all the Highlands faithful are all that interested in playing NCC. To some extent, it would be fun to see the kids play against each other. But I don't honestly think the games would be competitive 14 out of 15 years. Having watched the state championship replay last night on Insight, it really reminded me of the huge difference between A and AAA level football teams. Other than getting some perverse satisfaction of beating a much smaller school (and I'll pass on that), I see no reason to play NCC. If we are looking to renew a rivalry, lets reschedule Campbell Co. I think with the renewed committment to football out there, its going to be a program to be reckoned with. I believe they would be much more challenging to us. Just my opinion.

Correction....Ft. Thomas/Bellevue/Dayton/Cold Spring/Alexandria/Newport/Catholics......vs. Ft. Thomas Public... lets make sure we have it straight who feeds who. But I agree... the Birds would probably prevail but it would be a great game to watch.

I read the first part of your post and thought you were talking about Highlands until I got to the end of your post. It seems it would be more accurate this way.....

Ft. Thomas/Bellevue/Dayton/Cold Spring/Alexandria/Newport/Catholics at a private school...... vs. Ft. Thomas/Bellevue/Dayton/Cold Spring/Alexandria/Newport/Catholics......at a public school.:D

Ditto for Trinity and X kids with DeSales and Holy Cross kids. I can't see much interest in those games on either side. I guess I just don't get NKY football.

Not sure but it may be because there is not such a big difference in size between NCC and HHS as between Trinity and the others. Most years it would not be a blowout up here where it would be in Louisville. IMO

Not all the Highlands faithful are all that interested in playing NCC. To some extent, it would be fun to see the kids play against each other. But I don't honestly think the games would be competitive 14 out of 15 years. Having watched the state championship replay last night on Insight, it really reminded me of the huge difference between A and AAA level football teams. Other than getting some perverse satisfaction of beating a much smaller school (and I'll pass on that), I see no reason to play NCC. If we are looking to renew a rivalry, lets reschedule Campbell Co. I think with the renewed committment to football out there, its going to be a program to be reckoned with. I believe they would be much more challenging to us. Just my opinion.

I believe that the game would be competitive most years. The last two years of the last series were not very competitive, but lets be fair. That was Highlands greatest stretch in school history with Lorenzon, Smith, Stegman, Ulbrich, Kunhein, Lindeman, Gibson, Grover, and Scott to name a few. This stretch at Highlands coincided with NewCath going 6-6, 6-5, and 2-9. The '96 game was very competitive with NewCath losing by around 14 to the Bluebirds who were #23 in the country and wound up winning the state championship. The last two were blowouts. However, since Highlands has scrapped the spread and gone to whatever they run now, NewCath is better suited to play them. NewCath notoriously has problems with the pass....hence the CovCath scores. However, they generally do very well against the run under Coach Wagner. For that reason, and that NewCath is a lot faster nowadays than it was in the late 90's, I believe that the games would be competitive.

I'm struggling to find one benefit for NCC to schedule this game. Coach Schneider and gang have things rolling along smoothly on the hill and have brought the hardware home the last 2 years.

Though I must admit, playing in that game was always a highlight, as I grew up with and played youth ball with friends who played at NCC.

I believe that the game would be competitive most years. The last two years of the last series were not very competitive, but lets be fair. That was Highlands greatest stretch in school history with Lorenzon, Smith, Stegman, Ulbrich, Kunhein, Lindeman, Gibson, Grover, and Scott to name a few. This stretch at Highlands coincided with NewCath going 6-6, 6-5, and 2-9. The '96 game was very competitive with NewCath losing by around 14 to the Bluebirds who were #23 in the country and wound up winning the state championship. The last two were blowouts. However, since Highlands has scrapped the spread and gone to whatever they run now, NewCath is better suited to play them. NewCath notoriously has problems with the pass....hence the CovCath scores. However, they generally do very well against the run under Coach Wagner. For that reason, and that NewCath is a lot faster nowadays than it was in the late 90's, I believe that the games would be competitive.

While I respect your opinion, I totally disagree with it. And I definitely do not believe NCC was better suited to stop Highlands this year. Not at all. We'll obviously never know for sure, but based on what I saw of NCC this year, including the state game against Danville, I'm pretty confident we'd be able to run the ball quite effectively against NCC. But I respect your right to have a differing opinion. If you are basing your rationale that the games would be competitive in the future in part on the fact that Highlands has scrapped the spread, I'm not sure I agree with that logic either. I wouldn't say Highlands has scrapped the spread. Dale didn't run it the last two years because he thought the personnel fit better in another system. You never know when he'll bring it back. Heck it may be next year because I do think we'll have the personnel for it. Perhaps because of the rivalry and the emotions the games may be a little closer, but I would expect the games to go along the lines of when we played Beechwood two years. Those two games proved nothing other than a pretty good 3A school can beat a pretty good 1A school. And I do think Campbell County's potential to turn into a much better program than it is currently is greater than NCC's potential. Heck if Campbell County continues to improve its football program (and I think it will), it may have an adverse effect on NCC's, and if Brossart's football program turns into a decent one (and I have no clue on that) it may also adversely effect NCC's.

I'm not trying to dog NCC at all. I coached several players on the team and coached against more of them. They are good kids and I'm happy, truly happy, for their successes. And there is no doubt that several of them could have started at Highlands this year. But I just don't think the talent is as great across the board as it is at Highlands most years. And it shouldn't be as they have a much smaller pool to find that talent in. Campbell County on the other (which when I played was a bigger rival than NC and we played both of them), has a much bigger pool to find talent and I think they will find and develop that talent.

Hope that didn't come across as offensive. Truly not trying to be.

LN: somewhere...deep down in the memory banks, you want another shot at CC to make up for the one blemish on that senior year record. ;)

In reality, if you are trying to build a program (or rebuild a program), HHS is the last team you want on your schedule. Any progress you might be making during a season can be quickly wiped out. As you've stated on many occassion, HHS isn't into "helping" anybody. If HHS can beat you by 100, then by all means, it's the opponents job to stop that from happening. If you're an up and coming program trying to build on baby steps, a 70-0 smashing (with an onside kick thrown in for good measure) doesn't do you much good.

LN: somewhere...deep down in the memory banks, you want another shot at CC to make up for the one blemish on that senior year record. ;)

In reality, if you are trying to build a program (or rebuild a program), HHS is the last team you want on your schedule. Any progress you might be making during a season can be quickly wiped out. As you've stated on many occassion, HHS isn't into "helping" anybody. If HHS can beat you by 100, then by all means, it's the opponents job to stop that from happening. If you're an up and coming program trying to build on baby steps, a 70-0 smashing (with an onside kick thrown in for good measure) doesn't do you much good.

You have misread my prior posts in this thread as I have never stated that if I was Campbell County I would want to play Highlands. I simply said that I would rather see Highlands play Campbell County than NCC, as I think the games would be more competitive. My crystal ball is as good (or more likely bad) as anybody's, but I think Campbell County's program is really going to improve and has more up side potential than NCC's. As such, if not currently, then soon, I think Campbell County will present more of a challenge to the Birds than NCC. I may be all wet about that, but its what I foresee, and if we are going to renew an old rivalry, I'd rather it be the Camels.

Not sure the beating they gave us my senior year factors into my opinion, but it may:ylsuper:. And I certainly still feel that its not Highlands job to hold down its scoring, its the opponents job to do it*.

* The caveat to that principle is that Highlands remove its starters and turn the game over to the subs, who should be trying their little hearts out to score every time they get their hands on the ball.