Now that NCC has 2 straight, Will Schneider step up and play HHS?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason being alot of these kids have grown up together...It would be fun for the community to restart this rivalry.. The schools are also about a mile apart.

Ditto for Trinity and X kids with DeSales and Holy Cross kids. I can't see much interest in those games on either side. I guess I just don't get NKY football.

I guess I just don't get NKY football.
Now that's for sure! ;)

But seriously, I think this would be a great match-up and beneficial to both teams. I don't understand those that say that Highlands would not (and should not) want to play NCC. This isn't the weaker NCC team of the past. It seems like a natural fit.

I don't care if you've heard it or not.....I have. The reason I put the Ft. Thomas Publics vs Ft. Thomas Catholics is because these are the people that care the most about this game being played.:irked:

Don't know for sure, but I have heard that more than a couple of the kids that play for the team from Ft. Thomas are, dare I say it......

"Catholic".....:laugh: :lol: :D

What class will NCC be next year? Won't Highlands be in 5A? If NCC is still a 1A school, why would this game be attractive to Highlands? I'm sure Male doesn't have any interest in playing Louisville Holy Cross or Christian Academy.

HHS is a natural 3A size school playing up in 5A. NCC is a natural 2A. Not much difference in size and the game would generate a lot of community buzz. I think it is a good fit. I am skeptical of the reason posted earlier as to why the game is no longer played, I have heard the offer to play has been laid on the table for several seasons by Mueller and has not been taken by NCC. But that could be wrong.

I understand that some feel that a HHS -v- NCC matchup would not be in Highlands best interest because it is just a bigger school picking on the smaller school but I disagree. I think it would be great for the kids and the community alike. The two schools are close enough in size that it should be a great game.

I don't care if you've heard it or not.....I have. The reason I put the Ft. Thomas Publics vs Ft. Thomas Catholics is because these are the people that care the most about this game being played.:irked:

No, they aren't. I never lived in Ft. Thomas, and I probably never will. However, I was raised as Highlands being our chief rival, and I would like to see this game just as much as anyone. I guarantee that that goes for the majority of NewCath fans in Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Highland Heights, Cold Spring, Woodlawn, Southgate, and Alexandria.

The reason that it's annoying, this whole Ft. Thomas Catholic thing, is that there is a perceived arrogance in Ft. Thomas. Comments like Ft. Thomas Catholics help solidify that perception.

HHS is a natural 3A size school playing up in 5A. NCC is a natural 2A. Not much difference in size and the game would generate a lot of community buzz. I think it is a good fit. I am skeptical of the reason posted earlier as to why the game is no longer played, I have heard the offer to play has been laid on the table for several seasons by Mueller and has not been taken by NCC. But that could be wrong.

I understand that some feel that a HHS -v- NCC matchup would not be in Highlands best interest because it is just a bigger school picking on the smaller school but I disagree. I think it would be great for the kids and the community alike. The two schools are close enough in size that it should be a great game.

I wouldn't believe everything you hear. There was some dialogue between ADs a couple of years ago but that would have been a one time deal in that St. Luke sponsored bowl but it never came to fruition.

Couple of things you have to remember in this. Whether you agree with it or not, Highlands Mueller was in search of national recognition in the late 90s and beating a 1A school by 60 that had just had its first losing seasons since 1973 wasn't going to do much for that goal. Highlands was already scoring in the 60- 80s range on bigger schools like Holmes and Campbell Co. So if you were going to ax a team so you could take on the Moeller, Elder, Trinity, Male teams it make sense at the time to get rid of a 1A school. Now it is no secret that Coach Schneider wasn't happy about that, but it did enable Highlands to play at the PIT and at PBS etc. and those types of games only build interest and improve your play even if you lose them. Would Highlands fans really think playing NCC instead of Elder would be beneficial? Additionally, if Highlands wanted to continue to play the NKY 4A schools like Dixie, Conner, Ryle, Boone Co. those games had to be played in the first 3 weeks of the season because the 4A schools had 7 district games to be played in the last 7 weeks of the season.

NCC also had 6 district games to play and additionally had to play Newport every year. So now fewer district games for both Highlands and NCC does alleviate that hurdle. So it may be more possible in the future.