Covington Catholic vs. Trinity

Who wins?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

When I say atypical, I mean maybe a couple times in program history.

Exactly.

CovCath has been good for exactly three years. So basically one or two classes of great players. Now all of a sudden they can beat Trinity? Please.

As I’ve said every time this discussion has come up, stay in your lane, CovCath...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trinity is Kentucky’s flagship program and has been for a long time.

I think these kinds of threads are good for sustaining the website and fan interest, but they fatigue me. It’s like Trinity fans saying they could beat small college teams. No, no they couldn’t. If you make that argument chances are you’ve never been on the field.

I'm about as big a Cov Cath fan as they come, but I also think after having lived in Louisville for over half a decade and having personally attended numerous Trinity, St. X, and Male football games in addition to having watched game broadcasts of numerous more games involving those three teams, I have a little more first-hand knowledge of those teams than the average casual observer. I also have to guess that within the last decade, there probably aren't many people in Kentucky who have attended more Trinity, St. X, Male, and Cov Cath games in the same season than I have.

With that said, one thing I think a LOT of Covington Catholic fans lose sight of is the fact that northern Kentucky is to Cincinnati as southeast Indiana is to Louisville. Cov Cath is part of the "small market" in the large metropolitan area of Cincinnati, while Trinity, St. X and Male are part of the "large market" of the large metropolitan area of Louisville. Each of the Louisville schools has a SIGNIFICANTLY larger enrollment than Cov Cath, giving them a larger talent pool to draw from, and additionally each of those schools draws from a significantly larger population based on their geographical location in the city.

Look at these enrollment figures:

Covington Catholic - 592 boys (2017-18)

Elder (OH) - 868 boys (2018-19)

Male - 859 boys (2017-18)

Moeller (OH) - 861 boys (2018-19)

St. Xavier - 1341 boys (2017-18)

St. Xavier (OH) - 1596 boys (2018-19)

Trinity - 1205 boys (2017-18)

Louisville schools, in terms of size, are right in line with the GCL South teams that Cov Cath football has a career record of 3-28 against. For what it's worth, there have maybe been 4 or 5 near-wins for Cov Cath against the GCL South teams that don't figure in when you just look straight at the win/loss numbers, but all the same......3-28.

Colonel fans need to realize that yes, in one of our very good years, we can compete with Louisville teams, just like we can against GCL South teams sometimes. There's probably the occasional year where we might even win against one of the "big three" Louisville teams if we were to play. But still, on a year-to-year-to-year basis, we can't stand up against the likes of Trinity, St. X and Male because, frankly, we just don't have the student numbers to draw the amount of talent out of that those schools have. No shame in that - whatsoever.

With all of that stated, I've still gotta say, it's been REALLY entertaining over the years to see the extreme amount of indignation that soooooo many of the Louisville high school football fans take at any mention of a team from elsewhere in Kentucky, or God forbid a team northern Kentucky managing to beat one of the 6A big-boys here in Louisville. It's genuinely laughable watching the amount of huffing and puffing they come right out with.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Cov Cath's career record against Ohio competition:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 366]

[TR]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[TD=align: center]Wins[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Losses[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Last Played[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Anderson[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2015[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Badin[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1969[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bishop Watterson[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2006[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cardinal Mooney[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2008[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Clermont Northeast[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1986[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Elder (GCL South)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2008[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fairfield[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1972[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Kings[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2018[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LaSalle (GCL South)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2012[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Massilon[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1990[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Moeller (GCL South)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]10[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2014[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Oak Hills[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2016[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Purcell[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1974[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Roger Bacon[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1971[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]St. Charles[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2007[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]St. Xavier (GCL South)[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2015[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]St. Francis DeSales[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2018[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sycamore[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2016[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Turpin[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1976[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Williamsburg[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1967[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Tie[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]OHIO SCHOOLS TOTAL[/TD]

[TD=align: center]14[/TD]

[TD=align: center]47[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GCL SOUTH TOTAL[/TD]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=align: center]28[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

One more thing I'll add, I think the vast majority of the BGP members from the Cov Cath fanbase are not convinced that Cov Cath is better than the big-three teams in Louisville, nor do they think we would beat those teams very often.

There are relatively few people who keep the "Cov Cath could beat Trinity" conversation going, year to year. However, I do think that were you to attend a football game at Covington Catholic, you would here a WHOLE lot more Cov Cath fans making that (incorrect) statement.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

With all of that stated, I've still gotta say, it's been REALLY entertaining over the years to see the extreme amount of indignation that soooooo many of the Louisville high school football fans take at any mention of a team from elsewhere in Kentucky, or God forbid a team northern Kentucky managing to beat one of the 6A big-boys here in Louisville. It's genuinely laughable watching the amount of huffing and puffing they come right out with.

Do you mean in threads like this, or when an NKY team beats one of the Big 3? Because how often has that happened?

Do you mean in threads like this, or when an NKY team beats one of the Big 3? Because how often has that happened?

Rational CCH fans with kids on the team aren’t clamoring for this. T is the top dog in Ky....period. Wish this thread was never started.

SOS takes all opponents into account. CovCath didn't play anybody as bad as Eastern or J-town (twice) that year.

And that is why Cov Cath's SOS is close. Those two weak district opponents drag down Trinity's SOS.

The past two years, Cov Cath has been capable of beating Trinity. This year, no chance they could beat Trinity.

Exactly.

CovCath has been good for exactly three years. So basically one or two classes of great players. Now all of a sudden they can beat Trinity? Please.

As I’ve said every time this discussion has come up, stay in your lane, CovCath...

Before you overreact to a simple question asked by what may be a non CovCath fan you may want to read the whole thread. There is exactly 1 CovCath poster on record in this thread saying CovCath would have beat Trinity the last 2 years.

Every time one of these silly hypothetical questions comes up you bite hook, line and sinker. If you take the time to look at who is saying what you would realize for the most part it is not CovCath fans that are claiming that CovCath would beat Trinity.

So now you can relax and know that CovCath is in their lane, which happens to be a very crowded lane this year.

Before you overreact to a simple question asked by what may be a non CovCath fan you may want to read the whole thread. There is exactly 1 CovCath poster on record in this thread saying CovCath would have beat Trinity the last 2 years.

Every time one of these silly hypothetical questions comes up you bite hook, line and sinker. If you take the time to look at who is saying what you would realize for the most part it is not CovCath fans that are claiming that CovCath would beat Trinity.

So now you can relax and know that CovCath is in their lane, which happens to be a very crowded lane this year.

Nailed it brother.