Alabama Coaching Situation

KY Thorobred

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised I didn't see Bo Pellini's name on your exhaustive list. I would have thought they'd at least want to talk to him.

These are just some of the names that I saw, there is a thread on Tidefans on just about every D1 HC in the nation... Some of those folks have some serious conspiracy theories going on, you should check it out, its free...

Reports from Alabama newspapers indicate the Crimson Tide could make a decision perhaps as early as today whether to keep Shula.

Four years ago, Leavitt was offered the Alabama job on two different occasions by Alabama athletic director Mal Moore. When Leavitt didn't accept, Moore hired Mike Price, who was replaced by Shula six months later after Price's much-publicized incident involving exotic dancers.

"Remember Jim Leavitt … who started the football program at South Florida in 1996," The Huntsville (Ala.) Times reported Sunday. "Leavitt, the only coach in Bulls' history, upset Louisville last year and pulled an even bigger surprise this weekend when USF stunned West Virginia. Leavitt was one of the coaches Alabama AD Mal Moore interviewed - and liked very much."

I'm afraid one of these times he's going to accept one of these jobs.

Leavitt's Work Is Getting Noticed

Here is coach Shula's statement...

"I am deeply disappointed to be fired as the Head Football Coach at the University of Alabama. From my very first day on this job, I had a single mission: To return the Crimson Tide to its place among the elite programs in college football. Although I maintain that we were moving steadily in that direction, I regret sincerely that I will not be given the opportunity to finish the job I was hired to do.

I am forever grateful to my loyal coaching staff, who worked so tirelessly to help us overcome the difficulties we faced during these past four years. Despite inherited restrictions, including probation and scholarship limits, our teams played with integrity and commanded respect. Our 10-2 record in 2005 was no fluke; it was evidence of a program on the rise. Although the past season was not fulfilling, it was nevertheless a season that witnessed the emergence of several young players who will help the Crimson Tide win big in the years to come.

I want to thank our players and their families for committing to our mission. I am sorry that our record this past year did not reflect your passion and commitment to winning. When we met Sunday night, I fully believed that I was going to remain the head coach at the University. I apologize that you did not learn of the firing from me. Do not let the circumstances of my firing allow you to lose your focus. Do not let this transition rob you of your potential for greatness. Together with the talented recruits who have committed to join the Tide next year, I am fully confident that the pieces are in place for you to accomplish great things.

Finally, I want to acknowledge and thank those of you who made our four-year stay at Alabama a rewarding experience. Your kindness toward me, Shari and our family will be remembered fondly.

In closing, I leave Alabama proud that the football program is a better place than the one I inherited four years ago. Although time will ultimately gauge the depth of our progress, I am confident that the return on our effort will be realized by the University and its football community.

As a former player and a graduate of this great University, I wish the program great success in the years ahead. Roll Tide."