Alabama Coaching Situation

KY Thorobred

Not sure who will be coaching there next year, but on Tidefans there are reports of the Tide talking to and/or wishing for the following....

Bobby Petrino (Louisville)

Nick Saban (Miami Dolphins)

Steve Spurrier (South Carolina)

Paul Johnson (Navy)

Bob Stoops (Oklahoma)

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest)

As for Petrino, I don't know if he would take the job considering he has turned down the Oakland Raiders a few years in a row. And as far as his kids, they wouldn't mind being Hoover Bucs would they???

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

Add these to the list as well....

Houston Nutt (Arkansas)

Chan Gailey (Georgia Tech)

Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech)

Rich Rodriguez (West Virginia)

Kirk Ferentz (Iowa)

Greg Shiano (Rutgers)

Steve Kragthorpe (Tulsa)

Brian Kelly (Central Michigan)

Chris Ault (Nevada)

Bill Cubit (Western Michigan)

Art Briles (Houston)

Mike Leach (Texas Tech)

Jim Leavitt (South Florida)

As long as Rich Brooks isn't on this list I will be happy!!! Next thing you know, Danny Hope will be on there!

How many of the above played for The Bear at Bama? That will be a requirement for the next coach--as it usually is....

Not sure, Ill have to look into it tomorrow...

But here is a link that I just got about Coach Shula.http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061126/NEWS/61127001/1011

The sad thing is that this isn't really all Shula's fault. He was a knee-jerk hiring after Mike Price decided that hanging out with strippers was more important than coaching the Tide. Alabama is a good job, but honestly, except for people blinded by Crimson glasses it isn't the job it used to be. As a matter of fact the argument could be made that it is only the 5th to 6th best job in the SEC behind: (in no particular order so don't email me) Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn. Alabama has a proud tradition but I don't think it still holds the cachet to lure a coach that will make a rapid push back to the top.

I would lovd to see Coach Rod (WVU) at Bama. Grobe (WFU) and Schiano (Rutgers) would also be good choices. A poster earlier mentioned one of "Bears" boys and that is probably correct. I just have a feeling that this time depending on who they can get it might not be a requirement as it has in the past. Good Luck to Bama in finding a great head coach, ther should be a long list of interested applicants considering the tradition at Bama. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

The sad thing is that this isn't really all Shula's fault. He was a knee-jerk hiring after Mike Price decided that hanging out with strippers was more important than coaching the Tide. Alabama is a good job, but honestly, except for people blinded by Crimson glasses it isn't the job it used to be. As a matter of fact the argument could be made that it is only the 5th to 6th best job in the SEC behind: (in no particular order so don't email me) Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn. Alabama has a proud tradition but I don't think it still holds the cachet to lure a coach that will make a rapid push back to the top.

Imo the Bama job will still be the prestigious(spelling?) job that it has been in the past. Bama doesn't have 12(I believe) National Titles to its credit for nothing. I realize that it has been a while but the love for football and the tradition is still there. JMO

Not sure who will be coaching there next year, but on Tidefans there are reports of the Tide talking to and/or wishing for the following....

Bobby Petrino (Louisville)

Nick Saban (Miami Dolphins)

Steve Spurrier (South Carolina)

Paul Johnson (Navy)

Bob Stoops (Oklahoma)

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest)

As for Petrino, I don't know if he would take the job considering he has turned down the Oakland Raiders a few years in a row. And as far as his kids, they wouldn't mind being Hoover Bucs would they???

I am not sure how interested he would be in leaving, but Paul Johnson at Navy is one of my favorites. I am not sure what kind of recruiter he is, but for a coach I think he is awesome.

Imo the Bama job will still be the prestigious(spelling?) job that it has been in the past. Bama doesn't have 12(I believe) National Titles to its credit for nothing. I realize that it has been a while but the love for football and the tradition is still there. JMO

No doubt about it.

How many of the above played for The Bear at Bama? That will be a requirement for the next coach--as it usually is....

Mike Shula didn't play for "The Bear". He played for Ray Perkins. Gene Stallings played for "The Bear" but not at Bama. He played at A&M. If you check there are more.

Alabama will be bringing back some great skilled players next with the return of wideouts: D.J. Hall, Keith Brown, and Tyrone Prothro as well as QB John Parker Wilson. The problem with Coach Shula has been the play calling and lack of offensive output. Bama needs an experienced offensive play calling HC or OC to go along with the likes of Joe Kines on Defense...

Bill Curry, Dennis Francionne, Mike Price has no ties to Bama and they were all hired so that one comment about "Bear" is wrong. Plus they were tuned down by several coaches (Butch Davis, Frank Breamer, and Jim Leviate). Average, thats your $00.02 and yours and mine are different, but I know more about the program than you probaby do.