Alabama Coaching Situation

KY Thorobred

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Curry, Dennis Francionne, Mike Price has no ties to Bama and they were all hired so that one comment about "Bear" is wrong. Plus they were tuned down by several coaches (Butch Davis, Frank Breamer, and Jim Leviate). Average, thats your $00.02 and yours and mine are different, but I know more about the program than you probaby do.

Yes and all of those hires worked out so well for the Tide. No, maybe you don't have to be one of "Bear's Boys" to get hired, just to be accepted by the fans..............

Didn't Bill Curry go 10-1 his last season and still had people wanting him out. It truly is as close to the UK basketball job as you can get. Whoever takes it better have them in the national championship hunt every year. I also think they won a national title with all of Currys recruits the year after he left.

I pity who ever takes the job. The pressure for Alabama Football is like Kentucky basketball.

I see what you are saying here Augger, but imo most good coaches (the caliber that Bama will be able to draw) want that pressure and scrutiny. Most put more presure on themselves than anyone else could. JMO

Didn't Bill Curry go 10-1 his last season and still had people wanting him out. It truly is as close to the UK basketball job as you can get. Whoever takes it better have them in the national championship hunt every year. I also think they won a national title with all of Currys recruits the year after he left.

If I remember correctly B. Curry was one play away vs. Miami that season from winning a national title.

Ok now I have heard... Chuck Norris or even this guy...

newcoach.jpg

:D

Chuck Norris once scored 16 TD's in one game. He sat out the second, third, and fourth quarters. But seriously, would anything strike more fear in the hearts of opposing coaches than the iminent threat of a round house kick at the 50 yard line if the opponent won?

Wood, I don't believe there are many offers out there yet. A coach has to be offered to turn the job down, a coach coming out saying "I don't want the Bama job" doesn't carry a lot of weight. Believe me if we want someone we will get him.

Those days are over Larry, and not just at Bama. ND wanted Urban Meyer, he declined in favor of UF. The merry-go-round that is Alabama football right now is scary for most guys out there. Shula goes 10-2 then 6-6 and gets canned. They are hiring their fifth coach in like 10 or 12 years. I think that Mal may be the problem. He needs to learn to lead and not get jerked from pillar to post by Paul Jr. and the boys.

Not sure who will be coaching there next year, but on Tidefans there are reports of the Tide talking to and/or wishing for the following....

Bobby Petrino (Louisville)

Nick Saban (Miami Dolphins)

Steve Spurrier (South Carolina)

Paul Johnson (Navy)

Bob Stoops (Oklahoma)

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest)

As for Petrino, I don't know if he would take the job considering he has turned down the Oakland Raiders a few years in a row. And as far as his kids, they wouldn't mind being Hoover Bucs would they???

I don't see Petrino, Saban, Spurrier or Stoops being very interested at all.

Wood, I don't believe there are many offers out there yet. A coach has to be offered to turn the job down, a coach coming out saying "I don't want the Bama job" doesn't carry a lot of weight. Believe me if we want someone we will get him.

You're living wayyy in the past on this one. Alabama is currently the 3rd best program in the West and either the 5th or 6th best in the SEC. The days of snapping their fingers and getting whoever they want are long gone. Why do you think that you got stuck with Shula in the first place? This is a program that is treading water, they aren't anywhere close to elite--and they won't draw an elite coach.

You're living wayyy in the past on this one. Alabama is currently the 3rd best program in the West and either the 5th or 6th best in the SEC. The days of snapping their fingers and getting whoever they want are long gone. Why do you think that you got stuck with Shula in the first place? This is a program that is treading water, they aren't anywhere close to elite--and they won't draw an elite coach.

They were stuck with Shula because of the pending punishments that were going to be set @ Alabama at that time. Anyone who keeps up with Bama football knew that...

Before Stoops Oklahoma was going through rough times, Before Carroll USC had some down years, Even your beloved Irish has struggled recently before Weis....Alabama is just going through a rough time in their great history, they will be back on top.

What do you have against Bama anyways other than being an Irish fan?