Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shot Clock

Featured Replies

This weekend I decided to make the best of a rainy Saturday and watch the high school semifinals. Once again I was reminded why I don’t go to the games…. No shot clock. Can someone please explain to me why there is no shot clock in high school? Is this the same for other states as well?

  • Replies 115
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • bodyarmor
    bodyarmor

    I just went through this thread and read every post. Let me throw this info out for the sake of discussion. I have run the shot clock for a D-I and D-II university for the last 29 years. I have run th

I've said the same thing. In the year 2019, we need a shot clock.

I’ve got to believe costs for each school to install new equipment has to be a factor. There are small districts that may not be able to budget for it. You need someone to understand the rules and how to run it. Then you can question why people want it. Are they so accustomed to watching the college game that they want the same level of excitement in the high school game? There is some level of teaching going on during the game. I hate slow down games as much as anyone, but it’s a strategy that has been k own to work from time to time. I vote NO on a shot clock.

This weekend I decided to make the best of a rainy Saturday and watch the high school semifinals. Once again I was reminded why I don’t go to the games…. No shot clock. Can someone please explain to me why there is no shot clock in high school? Is this the same for other states as well?

 

Currently, eight U.S. states require the use of a shot clock of 30/35 seconds in high school competition: California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Washington

This weekend I decided to make the best of a rainy Saturday and watch the high school semifinals. Once again I was reminded why I don’t go to the games…. No shot clock. Can someone please explain to me why there is no shot clock in high school? Is this the same for other states as well?

 

8 states and the District of Columbia use a shot clock.

 

Cost is the issue.

The price of purchasing, installing, and operating a shot clock are not cheap.

 

Research suggests that it will cost approximately $2,000 – $4,000 for most schools to purchase the shot clocks and have them installed.

 

Depending on the current facilities in each high school gym, it’s not as simple as purchasing a shot clock and away they go…

 

There are installation costs that will vary greatly depending on the current setup. Some may need to purchase entire new scoreboards to make it happen which will be a remarkably more significant cost.

Slowdown games in high school don't bother me one bit.

 

In most cases, shooting percentage is bad enough as it is.

The price of purchasing, installing, and operating a shot clock are not cheap.

 

Research suggests that it will cost approximately $2,000 – $4,000 for most schools to purchase the shot clocks and have them installed.

 

Depending on the current facilities in each high school gym, it’s not as simple as purchasing a shot clock and away they go…

 

There are installation costs that will vary greatly depending on the current setup. Some may need to purchase entire new scoreboards to make it happen which will be a remarkably more significant cost.

 

Why would new scoreboards be needed?

Just put a shot clock on top of each backboard and be done with it. A quick Google search finds them available for significantly less than $2,000.

  • Author

If two kids were being recruited by the same team and they both had the same rating/skill set, would the advantage to go to the kid that played 3 or 4 years with a shot clock?

I don't know if the shot clock is the answer but I get awful tired of watching teams struggle to get to 50. First team to Fifty wins. I always made fun of the Ohio schools scoring in the 40's and the Kentucky state tournament was the same thing. So was the girls Regional. I want more scoring but the shooting has been terrible.

I use to think it was the small schools that slowed it down to have a chance to play with the big boys. After watching regional and state games I am beginning to think the complete opposite on who slows the game down.

We don't need a shot clock in my opinion.

Try to look at it like this, let's say your kid is having some trouble with grades and not understanding his or her homework. So you come up with this brilliant plan to make them do their homework faster and shorten the time on each problem or question. Do you think they would make for a better outcome.

I want a shot clock purely to stop 4 corners type of stalling. For that, a 40 or 45 second shot clock should work.

I want a shot clock purely to stop 4 corners type of stalling. For that, a 40 or 45 second shot clock should work.

 

Same for me. I watched a game recently that went four corners with 4:00 left on the clock. Drove me insane.

To this day I have yet to hear one valid argument that can convince me that a shot clock is needed in HS basketball.

 

A shot clock isn’t going to improve low quality basketball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.