Shot Clock

I watched a 5 OT in the 12th Region final where neither team scored in the first OT, and there may have been 3 total possessions for the whole OT. Someone please tell me how that's fun to watch as a spectator?

The drama of a close regional final would be fun enough for me...

The drama of a close regional final was be fun enough for me...

The game was. For me personally, those 4 mins weren’t. I prefer to watch something other than the guards weaving back and forth near the half court stripe.

I don't think there would need to be an additional person to run the shot clock. A clock operator with the proper equipment should be able to do it and every game already has a clock operator.

I’m not so sure about that. The way I understand it the shot clock is an entirely different connection to the main clock. I was always told that it would take two people to work both clocks. Maybe some of the more affluent schools could afford a two in one combo but I imagine most schools would have two separate clocks.

Now, as someone experienced with running the regular scoreboard there is no way I’d want the responsibility of operating both clocks. That would be an invitation to a ton of mistakes on my part and one of the main reasons I’ll never be a referee is because I don’t take public criticism well. I always say something back. I can only imagine the things I would hear when I mess up both clocks. :lol2: :lol2:

A regular scoreboard operator has to keep up with starting and stopping the clock at the whistle, both teams scores, both team fouls as well as personal fouls, bonus free throws, possession and in some cases timeouts. Adding another clock that resets every time the ball hits the rim is a huge responsibility. I’d use two people until one person can prove they handle that load.

We should be more focused on changing the rule that allows defenders to slide under an airborn player to draw a charge than a shot clock. The slide under charge ruins the game and it is amazing more people aren’t getting hurt by it.

Or a ref actually counting when a player is closely guarded. The rule says 5 feet. Players almost have to be all over them before they start counting. That would speed up some teams holding the ball.

Or a ref actually counting when a player is closely guarded. The rule says 5 feet. Players almost have to be all over them before they start counting. That would speed up some teams holding the ball.

6ft from front foot to front foot. And most officials will tell you there’s a difference between guarding a ballhandler and standing 6ft from them.

6ft from front foot to front foot. And most officials will tell you there’s a difference between guarding a ballhandler and standing 6ft from them.

And most officials don't count unless they are on top of them. You hear coaches all the time asking for a count. Officials just don't consistently count when it is closely guarded.

We should be more focused on changing the rule that allows defenders to slide under an airborn player to draw a charge than a shot clock. The slide under charge ruins the game and it is amazing more people aren’t getting hurt by it.

Amen brother!! This is a topic for another thread, and I believe one we have discussed before. I love defense and I love it when a defender gets in position to draw a charge, but way, way too often defenders are getting charges while still sliding their body after the offensive player has picked up his dribble and started his shooting motion.

The one that is getting just as bad now is the offensive player getting a defender into the air and then jumping into him to draw a foul. In my opinion, if the offensive player creates the contact by jumping into a defender, that is an offensive foul if anything and certainly not a foul on the defender.

OK. That's all. I don't want to run off on a tangent, although I probably already did. :lol2:

You are assuming a lot.

1. More possessions also means more turnovers and in many cases uglier games.

2. It doesn't eliminate stall ball at the end of quarters, teams would still hold for however long the shot clock.

3. 2 for 1 at the end of quarters doesn't necessarily help the game, kids would dribble down and shoot the 30 footers.

4. I disagree for it allowing for more comebacks, I think it would do just the opposite.

Just go watch AAU if you don't want to value possessions.

No it won't. Good teams with a couple good guards are very difficult to stop from stalling a game out.

The best analogy I can think of off the top of my head is a nascar race. If 2 teammates got in the lead and decided that they were going to slow down and weave back-and-forth on the lead over the last couple of laps of a race to ensure they finish 1st and 2nd, that would make for a terrible ending. It also goes against the grain of what the race is all about. It is a race to the finish.

Stalling in basketball does not reward good oftensive players nor good defensive players. Why is there a five second rule when players are not trying to score? Isn't that a quasi shot clock rule to try and prevent teams from stalling? The fact that the higher levels of basketball have a shot clock proves to me that stalling is a "loophole" in game rules that should also be closed at the high school level.

At the high school level you might have a handful of quality players headed to the next level, but most kids do not play after high school.

The college level is full of talented players capable of playing at that level so therefore you have less of a cupcake scenario than you will at the high school level.

While a shot clock works at the college level, the high school level is a whole different kettle of fish that with a shot clock you will be creating even more disparity than there already is between high level teams and cupcakes.

If you added the shot clock then cupcake teams might as well just pack it in and forfeit themselves from even putting a team on the court because while they didn't have much of a chance to begin with, now they have none.

You are assuming a lot.

1. More possessions also means more turnovers and in many cases uglier games.

2. It doesn't eliminate stall ball at the end of quarters, teams would still hold for however long the shot clock.

3. 2 for 1 at the end of quarters doesn't necessarily help the game, kids would dribble down and shoot the 30 footers.

4. I disagree for it allowing for more comebacks, I think it would do just the opposite.

Just go watch AAU if you don't want to value possessions.

92 already said it in so many words, and I agree with both of you. Instead of seeing a bunch of 45 to 30 games; you'll see a bunch of 80 to 40 games. Ugh.

At the high school level you might have a handful of quality players headed to the next level, but most kids do not play after high school.

The college level is full of talented players capable of playing at that level so therefore you have less of a cupcake scenario than you will at the high school level.

While a shot clock works at the college level, the high school level is a whole different kettle of fish that with a shot clock you will be creating even more disparity than there already is between high level teams and cupcakes.

If you added the shot clock then cupcake teams might as well just pack it in and forfeit themselves from even putting a team on the court because while they didn't have much of a chance to begin with, now they have none.

Agreed; the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. And there will much less strategy and more disparity in games between high level teams and mid-level teams, which is even more bothersome to me.