Shot Clock

After watching all four games Trinity played in the state tournament last week, the reason their opponents averaged 34.5 points was not that the opponents were stalling. The problem was they couldn't get a shot. I think a shot clock would work very much to Trinity's advantage.

I watched a 5 OT in the 12th Region final where neither team scored in the first OT, and there may have been 3 total possessions for the whole OT. Someone please tell me how that's fun to watch as a spectator?

Chess match between two of the best coaches in the 12th but if we are going to be realistic the overall quality of high school basketball is down. That’s the issue. Not a shot clock.

I watched a 5 OT in the 12th Region final where neither team scored in the first OT, and there may have been 3 total possessions for the whole OT. Someone please tell me how that's fun to watch as a spectator?

And therein lies the problem.

Why should a high high school basketball game be about the spectators?

After watching all four games Trinity played in the state tournament last week, the reason their opponents averaged 34.5 points was not that the opponents were stalling. The problem was they couldn't get a shot. I think a shot clock would work very much to Trinity's advantage.

They would probably become even better. And folks would still complain about them.

Chess match between two of the best coaches in the 12th but if we are going to be realistic the overall quality of high school basketball is down. That’s the issue. Not a shot clock.

I always value your opinion, but we will have to agree to disagree on "chess match".

Shot clock would also help kids transition better to the collegiate game just saying. I'm sure dribbling the basketball around for mins. at a time really helps them get prepared to play at the tempo and pace required at the next level. But, what do I know? Oh wait, I lived it and understand the transition period between playing in a slow down high school pace to an up tempo college pace.

A serious question, because I don't know the answer.

Of the (purely a guess here) 3,000 kids on high-school rosters (and that doesn't count the girls), how many are going to play college basketball at any level? And how many more would play college basketball with the implementation of a shot clock?

Good question. Not sure. I do know recruiters love exploring JUCO options more than HS kids especially at the NAIA level. I'm sure there is a correlation somewhere. A lot of our kids aren't prepared to play at the pace required at the next level coming out of HS.

I doubt there would be high school athletics if people didn't pay to come watch them.

Like baseball games where despite being 35+ players on both teams, maybe 50 people show up to watch. Or tennis matches where there aren't enough spectators to have a 3 on 3 pickup basketball game. Outside of football and basketball, most high school sports have pretty poor attendance.