St. X family...am I wrong???

What could possibly be wrong with bringing this up? If it was clearly evident to be a non-issue, no one would worry about. Reading the other posts, it clearly is an issue among some X supporters. BTW, never liked the tape on the facemasks for Male either. Looks very tacky, especially since it was only done by Bush and his buddies, you don't see that crap in college football.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What could possibly be wrong with bringing this up? If it was clearly evident to be a non-issue, no one would worry about. Reading the other posts, it clearly is an issue among some X supporters. BTW, never liked the tape on the facemasks for Male either. Looks very tacky, especially since it was only done by Bush and his buddies, you don't see that crap in college football.

Check the tape (no pun intended), but you would have a hard time finding a Bulldog without tape on his facemask in the title game. There were only a few players that did it prior to the state game and it became an issue on this board. The Male team responded with a show of unity by all wearing tape on their facemasks in the final. Hey, maybe the entire X team will wear yellow shoes as a show of unity on Friday. Now that would be cool. I'm sure the guys at Nike would love it.

While I don't agree with the cleats, I do question the point of this thread.

:thumb: Exactly!!! There was also a player wearing (non flourescent) gold cleats as well but, not surprisingly, it wasn't brought up or probably even noticed because the individual is not the "player of interest" that Vic is and it wouldn't spark controversy. If the intent of this thread is to single out a HS kid (especially because of "who" he is) for open criticism in an open forum then it should be closed IMO. I will say that I am a fan of and would prefer uniformity for unity and perception, but I think that it is up to the Tiger staff to decide what is right or wrong for their players. Besides, the cleat color is small potatoes in comparison to some of the other things I have been irritated by that project the "look at me" syndrome. When the media repeatedly showcases and replays the daily antics of fine :rolleyes: role models like Terrell Owens, how can we expect HS kids to act very differently?

Why do only some of Manual's players wear their shirts tucked in, while the rest of the team doesn't? Do they feel they need to be individuals? When Bush was suiting up for Male, a number of Male players put tape on their facemasks. Did a solid dark color not look good on those players?

This thread could be about any team in the state, I just find it humorous that a Trinity fan brings up this discussion which is extremely vital to the playoffs this year...:rolleyes:

I mentioned in my first post that I've seen Manual players do the same... being at the time that I played for Manual my jersey was a bit too small to stay tucked in, I couldn't really complain then, but I do wish they all had a uniform look. I don't know if the tape looked good or not, but it doesn't matter... either the whole team should do it, or maybe all players at that position. I just don't care for the vanity of it. Especially if the player is as good as Vic... he doesn't need to show he's special in any way other than running all over people, which he does well enough.

Hey, maybe the entire X team will wear yellow shoes as a show of unity on Friday. Now that would be cool. I'm sure the guys at Nike would love it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

only if the coaches wear them too. I would love to see Coach Walsh's stockings with those cleats.

This is basically an old school thinking vs "modern" thinking. They have this come up all the time in the NFL, and fines are levied against the offenders becuase the NFL brass is very old school.

If you think Chad Johnson should be fined for the Ocho Cinco nameplate you're probably old school, if you think it's cool, funny or just doesn't really matter then you're probably "new" school.

I don't think the gold shoes are are smartest move by Vic, he's a hard back to bring down and is often dancing around piles of would be tacklers and blockers and those glowing cleats give tacklers an easy to see target even if they are on the ground.

I don't know why Male allows the tape on the facemask thing, I've been at several schools some of the guys at different school have put tape on their masks, some to look "cool" some would put a cross on the mask for presumably religious reasons. Regardless every facemask that I've had sent in for reconditioning with tape on it has come back rejected, at $15-$30 a facemask that can be a costly show of unity.

This was very noticeable from the second he stepped off the bus and I DID notice one other player who had cleats slightly more noticeable than the rest of the team. I do not think efforts to "justify" this would be so strong IF the ploy was not so objectionable. I had always respected the uniformity of St. X because it always spoke volumes about their discipline, maybe this shows a "changing of " emphasis by the staff. Did this make a difference in the game for either team? NO! I do agree with others who have stated that the player in question does not need to do anything to draw attention to himself other than play his game. Maybe the staff has more battles to fight with the obvious problems in the kicking game that will cause major problems until rectified. Uncharacteristic of ANY St. Xavier team I have EVER seen.

Manual players, on the other hand, do not chose to play with jerseys untucked, there are some that are just not long enough to remain tucked even through pre game.

The tape on the facemask thing is something I always objected to and had players remove whenever I saw it (on any team I have been with).

I will agree that if players choose to wear gloves or armbands they as well should be of uniform colors.

I, personally, do not think any other player could have pulled that move off over the staff! I think that may be the point, what does this lead to?

:thumb: Exactly!!! There was also a player wearing (non flourescent) gold cleats as well but, not surprisingly, it wasn't brought up or probably even noticed because the individual is not the "player of interest" that Vic is and it wouldn't spark controversy. If the intent of this thread is to single out a HS kid (especially because of "who" he is) for open criticism in an open forum then it should be closed IMO. I will say that I am a fan of and would prefer uniformity for unity and perception, but I think that it is up to the Tiger staff to decide what is right or wrong for their players. Besides, the cleat color is small potatoes in comparison to some of the other things I have been irritated by that project the "look at me" syndrome. When the media repeatedly showcases and replays the daily antics of fine :rolleyes: role models like Terrell Owens, how can we expect HS kids to act very differently?

I am in agreement with the intial post on this one. I am not from Louisville and I could care less which player it is everyone should be dressed in the school uniform. What happens when the next player decides to wear his away uniform at a home game or put his name on the seat of his pants or whatever crazy thing they think of next? Also the TO and Chad Johnsons of the world might not display the antics they do if they had of been reined in when they were in HS. The coaches, the administration, and the parents are the role models of these kids; let's not pass the blame to the NFL and the out of control TO's of the world. Just one unbiased outsiders opinion.

I thought about this for a long time before posting as I did not want to make this a knee jerk reaction. To cut to the chase, I was not at all happy to see a St. X player wearing fluorescent shoes last night. My gut reaction was that an "I" had been put in TEAM. I have been an X fan for longer than a lot of you BGPers have been alive and I never recall anyone trying to "express" themselves so boldly.

When in doubt, they say don't. And you shouldn't have this time. It appears petty and suspicious coming from a X grad who son is at T.

Vic, didn't wear those shoes for attention, he gets plenty of that. In fact he most of what he wears is reported somewhere on some board, as is this. He liked his shoes, that's it, he doesn't need to wear certain shoes to prove himself, he proves himself repeatedly with his playing ability. But it's doubtful he'll wear thoses shoes again because of all the attention.

I, too, liked the shoes, (never thought I'd agree with LSURock). Vic is very spirited and enthusiastic and I also like that about him. I'm not saying I agree with everything he says and does, but you, nor I, have the right to try to squash his spirit or vigor. Talk to players, coaches or even his teachers about his team loyalty and St. X allegiance. (I bet his sons will go to X).

I do agree it might have given a visual advantage to the opponents defense.

First of all he was given the OK by coach G to wear them, secondly there has been other X stars wear different color shoes in past years' ie (white ), and who cares if they match the uniform color and they make him feel better and play better then why not!Not an issue with me I thought they were cool.

The issue is whether the shoes are a distraction to the team and more importantly is the person wearing them for the wrong reason and is that player a distraction to the team.

The answer is no.

The Band of Brothers is still intact and Vic's senior leadership along with the other seniors ensures this.

If your perception is otherwise I do not think the team cares.

By the way, those shoes are ugly.

In looking at the pics on the Courier Journal website, I noticed that the shoes matched the color of the pants (pic 5). I also noticed in one of the other pics that a Manual player has red on his cleats. Why is there no discussion about this? Thirdly, if another player has off color cleats as well, why aren't we discussing him as well?

Again, I don't think anyone should single themselves out by wearing stuff like this, but I think it's interesting that a Trinity supporter (yes Pep, I can see his name, but he sits in the green/white section at PJCS, not the green/gold section) brings this up about one of X's star players. It also is funny that grown men (perhaps women as well) care enough about what an 18 year old wears on his feet, that they have to comment on it on a message board.

Maybe you need to read it again.

I dont need to read it again. I question it because of all the garabage that has gone back and forth between X and T this year. While I agree with the comment I dont agree with it being posted here as anything but to stir up trouble.

When in doubt, they say don't. And you shouldn't have this time. It appears petty and suspicious coming from a X grad who son is at T.

Vic, didn't wear those shoes for attention, he gets plenty of that. In fact he most of what he wears is reported somewhere on some board, as is this. He liked his shoes, that's it, he doesn't need to wear certain shoes to prove himself, he proves himself repeatedly with his playing ability. But it's doubtful he'll wear thoses shoes again because of all the attention.

I, too, liked the shoes, (never thought I'd agree with LSURock). Vic is very spirited and enthusiastic and I also like that about him. I'm not saying I agree with everything he says and does, but you, nor I, have the right to try to squash his spirit or vigor. Talk to players, coaches or even his teachers about his team loyalty and St. X allegiance. (I bet his sons will go to X).I do agree it might have given a visual advantage to the opponents defense.

Vic goes to almost all of the Freshman and JV games...He stands on the sidelines at these games and cheers for the little Tigers. He constantly pats players on the back and gives support....