Pierce says Rajon Rondo has a Natural Gift- Could be a Special Player

If you want to have that debate then that is fine. But does this give Rondo or any other player the right to "butt heads" or protest the coaching practices of Tubby Smith or any other college basketball coach?

I don't think the players should ever butt heads with the coach. I'm kind of old school like that and it makes me sick when I see a player getting all over the coach on the sidelines. However, as a 3rd party on the outside looking in - I see a lot of flaws in Tubby's system.

Exhibit 1: The UK women are ranked higher than the UK men in the preseason poll this year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He averaged 11.5 PPG and 4.0 APG for an NBA career of 14 seasons. Also a couple of NBA titles and an All Star game appearance. Not sure where you're coming from besides just wanting to be argumentative.

Zeke is an HOFer and has proven he knows nothing about assembling a team. A does not lead to B.

He averaged 11.5 PPG and 4.0 APG for an NBA career of 14 seasons. Also a couple of NBA titles and an All Star game appearance. Not sure where you're coming from besides just wanting to be argumentative.

Ainge was average in the NBA and benefitted from playing on good teams. He's done nothing in Boston. Granted, he has waaaaay more talent than anyone on this sight, but compared to many pro players he didn't have much talent at all.

I disagree. There is no reason Rondo couldn't have played in that system. I've seen PG's with athletic ability (Hawkins/Turner) thrive in it and play above their talent level.

The problem was that Tubby held him back. I agree he should have been able to play in the system but I also think Tubby had a very special talent that he misused, and if used right I really believe Rondo could have led them to a NCAA title.

The problem was that Tubby held him back. I agree he should have been able to play in the system but I also think Tubby had a very special talent that he misused, and if used right I really believe Rondo could have led them to a NCAA title.

Rondo was a passer. He came into college to drop dimes. AT Ky there wasn't much talent to pass to. Granted Rondo would have been more effective in a "Run and Gun", but with the other "talent" around him who else would have been?

Exhibit 1: The UK women are ranked higher than the UK men in the preseason poll this year.

I must've missed the memo that the men and women are now in one league. This should make for an exciting year. Hopefully the men can beat the Lady Cats when they face off this year.

Read: What does the women's program have to do with anything?

Ainge was average in the NBA and benefitted from playing on good teams. He's done nothing in Boston. Granted, he has waaaaay more talent than anyone on this sight, but compared to many pro players he didn't have much talent at all.

I coudn't disagree more.

On some nights Danny Ainge outshined Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Magic Johnson, etc., and it wasn't out of the ordinary.

Danny Ainge was a far from average player, and a far better athlete than you "heard" he was or make him out to be.

I coudn't disagree more.

On some nights Danny Ainge outshined Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Magic Johnson, etc., and it wasn't out of the ordinary.

Danny Ainge was a far from average player, and a far better athlete than you "heard" he was or make him out to be.

Who guarded (or payed attention to) Danny Ainge? He was an average NBA player. 11 point averages aren't going to change many minds.

I must've missed the memo that the men and women are now in one league. This should make for an exciting year. Hopefully the men can beat the Lady Cats when they face off this year.

Read: What does the women's program have to do with anything?

They are more successful presently at the level in which they compete.

I think it speaks volumes about the UK Men's basketball, which went from dominating the SEC, to being the 3rd best program on campus (UK Baseball had a better season).

Who guarded (or payed attention to) Danny Ainge? He was an average NBA player. 11 point averages aren't going to change many minds.

The opposing team's best guard always defended Ainge when he was with the Celtics.

His average is watered down because he played well past his prime, for whatever reason. He was nothing more than a role player in his later years with the Suns & Trailblazers, but back in the day he could flat light it up.

The opposing team's best guard always defended Ainge when he was with the Celtics.

His average is watered down because he played well past his prime, for whatever reason. He was nothing more than a role player in his later years with the Suns & Trailblazers, but back in the day he could flat light it up.

Got ya. I do remember Ainge playing in his prime, but most of my memories are of him in the later years.

They are more successful presently at the level in which they compete.

I think it speaks volumes about the UK Men's basketball, which went from dominating the SEC, to being the 3rd best program on campus (UK Baseball had a better season).

How is that a knock on UK basketball that they are gettin better in other sports.:rolleyes:

How is that a knock on UK basketball that they are gettin better in other sports.:rolleyes:

It's not a knock because they are getting better, it is a knock because those teams are on the rise and UK is on the decline.

Tubby's style of play has lost fans and recruits. You can still win games without one of those, but not without both.

Remove Blue-Colored glasses and the truth will be seen.

I liked Ainge the player. He had some talent and , more imporantly, provided the Celtics with a toughness that was not there with the other players for the most part.

If you're of a certain age, you'll also remember his end-to-end drive and basket against ND in the NCAAs.