The Bengals are lowering their ticket prices to $20 per game

The Bengals are typically in bottom 5 of the nfl in ticket sales even during good seasons. It's a bad sports city period in terms of fans attending games. A lot of people like to say well it's because of this or that. But the reality is it's just not a good sports city. Even during good seasons the attendance sucks. People always like to refer to the reds in the 70s and Bengals in the 80s to try to justify well if they truly compete for a championship people come. Times have changed, I truly believe the Bengals could win the super bowl and the next season the attendance still would be bottom 10 in the nfl. The only thing that would change is the excuse for why people dont come.

It's just not a good sports city. Realistically investment wise it would be smart for any owner to leave this city.

Imo I think the Bengals will one day end up in St. Louis. When St. Louis decides to want to get a NFL team again and have plans for a new stadium in place.

They did sellout 7 straight seasons from '03-'10.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bengals are typically in bottom 5 of the nfl in ticket sales even during good seasons. It's a bad sports city period in terms of fans attending games. A lot of people like to say well it's because of this or that. But the reality is it's just not a good sports city. Even during good seasons the attendance sucks. People always like to refer to the reds in the 70s and Bengals in the 80s to try to justify well if they truly compete for a championship people come. Times have changed, I truly believe the Bengals could win the super bowl and the next season the attendance still would be bottom 10 in the nfl. The only thing that would change is the excuse for why people dont come.

It's just not a good sports city. Realistically investment wise it would be smart for any owner to leave this city.

Imo I think the Bengals will one day end up in St. Louis. When St. Louis decides to want to get a NFL team again and have plans for a new stadium in place.

It is true about Cincinnati being an overall bad sports city regardless of things going well or bad. I hope that the Bengals don’t end up getting sold, but it wouldn’t be surprising to me if it eventually happens.

Don't have time to look it up, but Cincinnati has got to be at (or very, very near) the bottom of cities that have not one, but two, professional sports franchises. I think there are only so many entertainment dollars to go around. And when you have a smaller group of people to pool from, each base has to share quite a few fans. So, when you have the opportunity to save a few Benjamins by watching the games in the comfort of your home...you take it.

And for what it's worth, I don't think it's the ticket prices that are always the determining factor...I know it's not for me. It's the associated costs...the parking, concessions, etc. that seem to be the biggest budget eater.

Don't have time to look it up, but Cincinnati has got to be at (or very, very near) the bottom of cities that have not one, but two, professional sports franchises. I think there are only so many entertainment dollars to go around. And when you have a smaller group of people to pool from, each base has to share quite a few fans. So, when you have the opportunity to save a few Benjamins by watching the games in the comfort of your home...you take it.

And for what it's worth, I don't think it's the ticket prices that are always the determining factor...I know it's not for me. It's the associated costs...the parking, concessions, etc. that seem to be the biggest budget eater.

Agree with this 100 percent. Do not mind paying the ticket price, but the incidental costs are outrageous.

Agree with this 100 percent. Do not mind paying the ticket price, but the incidental costs are outrageous.

I bought the jungle pass just because of the ticket price. You can limit your incidentals.

I bought the jungle pass just because of the ticket price. You can limit your incidentals.

You (in the general sense) can limit the incidentals. For Reds games, maybe you can get there right at 6 and snag a metered spot that's now free. Maybe you bring bottled water from home, instead of buying it at the stadium. Maybe you're in and out for just the price of the ticket. Can it be done? Sure. Is it done a lot? Heck no. For some people, they'll pay the $10 or $15 to be closer to the stadium because they can't walk the extra quarter-mile (or more) to some of the metered spots in downtown. And on hot, humid days, having an ice-cold drink in the 6th or 7th inning is a lot preferable to a now-warm bottle they could've brought from home.

You (in the general sense) can limit the incidentals. For Reds games, maybe you can get there right at 6 and snag a metered spot that's now free. Maybe you bring bottled water from home, instead of buying it at the stadium. Maybe you're in and out for just the price of the ticket. Can it be done? Sure. Is it done a lot? Heck no. For some people, they'll pay the $10 or $15 to be closer to the stadium because they can't walk the extra quarter-mile (or more) to some of the metered spots in downtown. And on hot, humid days, having an ice-cold drink in the 6th or 7th inning is a lot preferable to a now-warm bottle they could've brought from home.

Me personally, I'll park in Covington for free and walk over. I do that to burn calories for the beer I'll drink while at the game. I'll not curb my spending at the game, but others, with will power, could do so. :D

I can definitely agree with this point too. I’ve stopped going over ownership and management issues as my main reason, but the cost for parking, f&b, etc definitely played a role for me too near the end when I bought tickets.

Ice cold drink????? Haven't ever found an ice cold beer at PBS or GAB since either opened. Let's talk barely chilled for accuracy.

You can take a small soft-sided cooler into Reds games with unopened drinks in plastic bottles. We take in soft drinks/sports drinks and our own snacks. Makes it much cheaper than paying $5+ each for a brat and coke.

I was a season ticket holder for 4 years, went to every home game and 1 road game a year. The cost never really drove me away, but living an hour plus away made for a really long day after tailgating and getting back home. My wife would go to the good weather games, but she got tired of it and we eventually started watching at home with friends or going to a friend's house or bar to watch. The cost was alot less and we were home by 4:30 after a 1 o'clock game.

I still go once or twice a year, but it's just not worth it to me cost or time wise to spend my whole day for a game. I'm a fan and always will be, but the ownership along with things mentioned above have drove me away.

I was a season ticket holder for 4 years, went to every home game and 1 road game a year. The cost never really drove me away, but living an hour plus away made for a really long day after tailgating and getting back home. My wife would go to the good weather games, but she got tired of it and we eventually started watching at home with friends or going to a friend's house or bar to watch. The cost was alot less and we were home by 4:30 after a 1 o'clock game.

I still go once or twice a year, but it's just not worth it to me cost or time wise to spend my whole day for a game. I'm a fan and always will be, but the ownership along with things mentioned above have drove me away.

I had season tix when Marvin arrived and it was fun for a while but back-to-back Sunday’s, 10-6 with traffic.. no way. I just bought a new TV and it suits me just fine.

and you can park in Bellevue or Newport and ride the bus for $1, drops you off right under the arena.

• 11 months later...

Just in from the Bengals, the 2019 Jungle Pass goes away in 5 days:

The $200 mobile-only Jungle Pass includes 10 Bengals games, eight in the regular season and two in the preseason. Quantities are EXTREMELY limited. Limit 2/person. Tickets are not eligible for resale and are non-transferable.

• 2 weeks later...