Santa Fe, TX High School Shooting 5.18.18

Florida has a new law that allows police to confiscate weapons from people deemed mentally unstable. In the case I saw recently, a fellow went over to his ex-wife's house brandishing a rifle. He never did anything with it, but the cops seized all of his weapons and petitioned the court for a new "risk protection order" (granted), which prevented this person from legally purchasing a weapon.

I believe you can petition the court to get your guns back.

Not sure how it all works, but it is the law, now.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my daughter's high school everyone now has to enter through one set of doors and there are three people at the doors watching as everyone goes in. That is an easy first step that any school could do which would prevent someone from walking into a building with an arsenal.

Florida has a new law that allows police to confiscate weapons from people deemed mentally unstable. In the case I saw recently, a fellow went over to his ex-wife's house brandishing a rifle. He never did anything with it, but the cops seized all of his weapons and petitioned the court for a new "risk protection order" (granted), which prevented this person from legally purchasing a weapon.

I believe you can petition the court to get your guns back.

Not sure how it all works, but it is the law, now.

I do not like the idea of confiscation without due process. I'd challenge that law in court.

At my daughter's high school everyone now has to enter through one set of doors and there are three people at the doors watching as everyone goes in. That is an easy first step that any school could do which would prevent someone from walking into a building with an arsenal.

Seems like common sense that every school should have this samw process.

Could we train a certain percentage of the National Guard to do the job, having rotating shifts? Just a thought, not sure if it's a good one.

What does the National Guard do with their regular jobs?

What does the National Guard do with their regular jobs?

They're basically part time as you likely know. According to their website, the Guard responds to domestic emergencies, overseas combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and more. Guard Soldiers’ primary area of operation is their home state.

I was pretty much spit-balling when I made the suggestion. I don't know that it's a viable solution. @BigVMan23 certainly doesn't think it's a good idea. He may be 100% correct, I don't know.

Another idea that's been brought up by others is using ex military and ex police officers. I think we'd have to be very selective in any force we'd use for this, psychological profiling and vetting would be of the utmost importance. They would also have to have special training for the job. It could be none of this is financially possible. I'm just trying to think of solutions or deterrents.

The fact they let him wear a trench coat daily blows my mind.

I think we start with easy things like clear bags or no bags, School Uniform, and one entrance and exit.

Secondly, we get more people in schools. Running schools on the cheap exacerbates these problems.

I do not like the idea of confiscation without due process. I'd challenge that law in court.

DCF removes children from homes all of the time without due process for the parents, all in the name of protecting the kids. Law enforcement has been given the power to remove weapons from people deemed dangerous to themselves or the general public under the same blanket.

I'm not saying I agree with it. Just reporting. But these are the cans that get opened when looking for instant fixes to complex problems.

DCF removes children from homes all of the time without due process for the parents, all in the name of protecting the kids. Law enforcement has been given the power to remove weapons from people deemed dangerous to themselves or the general public under the same blanket.

I'm not saying I agree with it. Just reporting. But these are the cans that get opened when looking for instant fixes to complex problems.

I don't like it in those cases either it's on the government prove guilt not the citizen to prove innocence.

Not that it needs to be said, but, COWARD!

New report I read from LA Times says the girl wasn't his girlfriend but one he was pursuing. She kept trying to let him know she wasn't interested. She finally "embarrassed" the boy in the classroom. That may have been a trigger.