Santa Fe, TX High School Shooting 5.18.18

The one thing almost every mass shooter has had in common is some sort of mental health issue. Seems to me if we were serious about preventing these incidents from occurring we'd try to find a way to keep firearms out of their hands. Medical records absolutely must be a part of it IMO. I see no issue with a person needing a mental health evaluation within a certain number of years of the purchase date to own a gun. What all that entails, I don't know, but IMO there needs to be something to try and prevent mentally unstable individuals from purchasing guns.

I like the ideas of having armed officers at entrances and in schools, but I worry we don't have enough of them to staff all our schools. I don't believe metal detectors would be much of a deterrent unless they were used properly. Most I've seen at sporting events and the like are nothing more than for show.

The mental health issue is the main problem, but also a slippery slope. We would have to tread very carefully in that area. I'm in agreement that we need to find a way. I just don't want to make it intrusive or overreaching. I don't know if it's possible in all honesty.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a concert in Memphis and the man 2 up from us in line had a small knife he said he forgot he brought it. They made him give it up. It worked there. I think detectors will work, but I agree with you that they need to be used correctly. A fear I do have with them is that schools will use them for 2 or 3 years, and then slowly stop using them. Huge expense for schools to do that or for them not to use them correctly.

Right. It's more about the enforcement of them. Numerous times at concerts and sporting events, I've seen them go off and the security just wave the person through to keep the line moving.

We have had some Rule 2 problems in this thread so we are done.

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes, name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, team, or school. Additionally this includes a pattern of posts that inflames or incites other posters (i.e. trolling or gaslighting). Also, keeping in mind the youth of our student athletes, excessive "bashing" of high school athletes is prohibited. Do not comment on the manner in which another member has posted, or any violations you find in their posts. Such public remarks will be considered a violation under this rule. If you feel that a specific post violates our rules, please report it using the "Report Post" feature which is located under the username in every post.