Santa Fe, TX High School Shooting 5.18.18

Considering the weapons used this shooting shows us the Government either has to confiscate all guns from all people or come up with other solutions that have nothing to do with gun control.

The legal owner of any gun used in a school shooting should serve life in prison.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The legal owner of any gun used in a school shooting should serve life in prison.

If "we" are going to go that route it should be the legal owner of any gun used in any violent crime should serve life in prison.

I admit I know very little about this shooting but how is it a blow against boots on the ground?

This school had an SRO and he was gunned down just like the rest of them. The last I saw he is in critical condition.

Despite that I still think it makes sense to have SRO's but this shooting is evidence that having an SRO is not going to stop these events.

This school had an SRO and he was gunned down just like the rest of them. The last I saw he is in critical condition.

Despite that I still think it makes sense to have SRO's but this shooting is evidence that having an SRO is not going to stop these events.

Did an SRO stop a shooting not that long ago? Should we not have cops because there have been examples of cops being shot trying to stop crimes?

If "we" are going to go that route it should be the legal owner of any gun used in any violent crime should serve life in prison.

Prisons are going to fill up fast, which is fine with me...but it's going to cost a ton.

Should we also lock up legal owners of all cars that cause DUI fatalities, even if they weren't driving it?

Did an SRO stop a shooting not that long ago? Should we not have cops because there have been examples of cops being shot trying to stop crimes?

Yes several have been stopped by SRO's, but even having SRO's isn't a 100% fix. Most shootings stopped by SRO's are stopped before the gun is even brought to school by having a good rapport with students that they alert the SRO when they here threats being made. IF the SRO just stands around and looks tough, he's not doing his job. He also has to engage the students daily to a point they become comfortable with him/her and willing to come to them when they hear or know something is going to happen.

This shooting is also a blow against those who favor SRO's and arming teachers as a solution.

Normally I think you are one of the most reasonable and best voices on BGP but for whatever reason I believe you left the reservation on this issue.

Short of prison like security, boots on the ground are the only meaningful solution.

Prisons are going to fill up fast, which is fine with me...but it's going to cost a ton.

Should we also lock up legal owners of all cars that cause DUI fatalities, even if they weren't driving it?

I was just having a conversation inside this thread with PP92. In reality I don't think this (holding a non-present owner responsible for something) is a good approach.

Yes several have been stopped by SRO's, but even having SRO's isn't a 100% fix. Most shootings stopped by SRO's are stopped before the gun is even brought to school by having a good rapport with students that they alert the SRO when they here threats being made. IF the SRO just stands around and looks tough, he's not doing his job. He also has to engage the students daily to a point they become comfortable with him/her and willing to come to them when they hear or know something is going to happen.

Exactly. How many school shootings never even happened because of SROs? We will never know, but they are certainly very valuable.

If you are a parent, your kid may be alive today BECAUSE an SRO did his/her job...yet, you'll never know.