Santa Fe, TX High School Shooting 5.18.18

I disagree, there are some schools and administrators out there working hard trying to find a balance between education and prison-like environment.

Your second statement is correct, there will never be a 100% fix. If the schools are locked down then the next thing will be a school bus shootings...I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened already. Or shootings outside the school before the students reach the ring of security.

Exactly, there will ALWAYS be a soft target.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, there are some schools and administrators out there working hard trying to find a balance between education and prison-like environment.

Your second statement is correct, there will never be a 100% fix. If the schools are locked down then the next thing will be a school bus shootings...I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened already. Or shootings outside the school before the students reach the ring of security.

Fair enough. It just seems we will always disagree with what needs to be done. I don't see that changing.

Exactly, there will ALWAYS be a soft target.

Sad, but true.

We already have a successful recipe for such security, it is called TSA at the airports.

Less than 400 airports, over 98,000 public schools. There are 57,000 TSA employees for 400 airports, how many would it take to secure 98,000 schools? I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, but is it even feasible?

Less than 400 airports, over 98,000 public schools. There are 57,000 TSA employees for 400 airports, how many would it take to secure 98,000 schools? I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, but is it even feasible?

Could we train a certain percentage of the National Guard to do the job, having rotating shifts? Just a thought, not sure if it's a good one.

Could we train a certain percentage of the National Guard to do the job, having rotating shifts? Just a thought, not sure if it's a good one.

National Guard, VFD, Army Reserves, etc....I imagine any of them would be more than qualified to do the job.

Somehow, someway. There has to be a way to limit the sell of guns to specific people or types of people.

Even take guns from certain parents of kids who have issues.

Somehow is hard.

The problem is he had home made explosives also so even without a gun, he could have set one of near a large group of kids.

Think I mentioned this in the last thread about the Florida shootings. I think they could do this if they would be in a less military-looking uniform.

Side note...was at the flying pig a couple weeks ago and it felt weird to see SWAT members walking around in full gear with their rifles out.

Guys, you do know how the NG and Army Reserve work, right? I'm not saying I have the solution, but this isn't it.

The problem will never stop unless or until people are identified early who are capable of perpetrating something like this. Is that even doable? And even if it was/is, would it be legal to take preemptive action? Something is triggering these kids. They are either mentally unstable in some way, extremely weak/feeble minded, on drugs, devoid of feelings, inherently evil, something...maybe in some cases a combination of some or all of these things, and maybe a few other things I didn't mention.

I true believe if this continues, school as we know it will drastically change. I can see middle and high school going to a "virtual" setting where kids don't even go to a school but do almost everything on line. That would drastically cut the number of schools down...then if you consolidated some elementary schools, further shrinking the number of total schools, you might get it down to a manageable number to better protect the facilities with police/guards/equipmen, etc. Feasible? Who knows, but things are probably going to change at some point in time.

One answer may be to surround the school campuses with prison type fences and have all entrants (students, teachers, visitors) into the school searched each day.

So all schools will look like Alonzo High in Tampa? The place already looks like a prison.