Santa Fe, TX High School Shooting 5.18.18

Did an SRO stop a shooting not that long ago? Should we not have cops because there have been examples of cops being shot trying to stop crimes?

The point is an SRO is not the be-all-end-all answer. As I stated in my post I am in favor of a SRO's in schools but we need to do more than that.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I think you are one of the most reasonable and best voices on BGP but for whatever reason I believe you left the reservation on this issue.

Short of prison like security, boots on the ground are the only meaningful solution.

My post said that I am in favor of a SRO's. Where did I go off the reservation?

What else do we need to do?

I like what I saw posted perhaps in this thread or elsewhere that entry points to the schools need to be a screening ground. I am not saying you have to have a metal detector, but having the SRO and others standing at the door where every student walks in the building "greeting" students as they enter the building sounds like one of the best ideas I have heard. If it is a big school with multiple entries then you need "greeters" at each entry.

I like what I saw posted perhaps in this thread or elsewhere that entry points to the schools need to be a screening ground. I am not saying you have to have a metal detector, but having the SRO and others standing at the door where every student walks in the building "greeting" students as they enter the building sounds like one of the best ideas I have heard.

Unless it is going to be real screening (think TSA level) that would nearly be a waste of time and resources.

One other thing, you never want to get into a situation where the SRO (the man or woman with a gun) is in the exact same spot at the exact same time everyday. Assigining them to "door duty" makes them the logical first target for any shooter. I can see the SRO being around the entrance somewhere during the morning, but it has to be flexible and unpredictable.

Should we also lock up legal owners of all cars that cause DUI fatalities, even if they weren't driving it?

Why do people continue to use this analogy. It’s such a bad analogy. The purpose of guns is strictly to kill something. Nothing more. Nothing less. Until cars are made for the sole purpose of killing and not transportation this guns vs cars analogy will never work. Treating cars the same as guns is a completely flawed logic.

Why do people continue to use this analogy. It’s such a bad analogy. The purpose of guns is strictly to kill something. Nothing more. Nothing less. Until cars are made for the sole purpose of killing and not transportation this guns vs cars analogy will never work. Treating cars the same as guns is a completely flawed logic.

Wrong

I have several guns and none of them have been used for killing, that is not their sole purpose. I've target shot with my dad, grandpa, son and friends my entire life...never once entertained the idea of killing someone with them. Heck I don't even hunt (kill animals), but I love to shoot.

Your logic that guns are only for killing is completely flawed.

I was just having a conversation inside this thread with PP92. In reality I don't think this (holding a non-present owner responsible for something) is a good approach.

Folks want to keep their guns, correct? My solution allows responsible, law abiding gun owners to keep their guns.

How many school shootings came from kids who got their guns in some shape, fashion or form from their parents? If you are a gun owning parent and your kid has access to your guns and then shoots up the school then whoever owns those guns should go to jail for life. Or hell, give them the death penalty. I’m good with that too. If you can’t keep your guns out of your kid’s hands(and chances are the parents know that their kid has issues) and your kid goes and shoots up the school then you don’t deserve to own guns and that blood is on your hands. People say all of the time how they shouldn’t have to lose their guns because other folks aren’t responsible with theirs. I agree 100%. If the folks who allow these kids to get their hands on the guns don’t face any consequences then folks will never be smarter about making sure their kids don’t have access to their guns. I’m biased but I don’t see how anyone could have a problem with this solution. Forget a civil suit. Criminal charges changes everything.

Wrong

I have several guns and none of them have been used for killing, that is not their sole purpose. I've target shot with my dad, grandpa, son and friends my entire life...never once entertained the idea of killing someone with them. Heck I don't even hunt (kill animals), but I love to shoot.

Your logic that guns are only for killing is completely flawed.

Guns were not invented for target practice. Come on now.

So you are saying guns were invented so people could have target practice? I want to be clear as day on where you are coming from.

No, I'm saying plenty of things can kill you including guns. But they are not for killing only, as you stated.

Millions of things can kill if you use them in an unlawful manner...not just guns.