What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

theguru

Many protests are playing the long end game where the first step is simply to publicize the issue. They did accomplish that as there are a lot more people talking about it since the protests.

At this point the talk is reduced to almost nothing.

I mentioned it in another thread, the teachers will get a few crumbs and then BAM!

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggle with the draw of charters. Why not just inject more funding in the public school setting to lower class size rather than fund an entirely new school?

Because this is an opportunity to try something new, give people a choice, and see if it is a better way of educating our children.

Consider the source of this article, as it is from the Washington Post, but ... if the facts are accurate, not a good report on Charter Schools.

A dozen problems with charter schools - The Washington Post

I have a hard time seeing the value of charter schools. It seems to me that charter schools are just private schools funded with public money. How does that help education overall? The challenge is getting the kids with tough family situations and a lack of support to care and perform in school. Charter schools don't fix that.

I struggle with the draw of charters. Why not just inject more funding in the public school setting to lower class size rather than fund an entirely new school?

More funding usually gets fed to non-teaching positions. I'm not saying those are unnecessary, but there are too many and they gobble up funds.

More funding usually gets fed to non-teaching positions. I'm not saying those are unnecessary, but there are too many and they gobble up funds.

It happens. It doesn't have to. Schools follow tons of rules on allocation of money. This could be no different if the funding were earmarked for teachers and the reduction of class size. Trust me there are plenty of eyes to help enforce.

Because this is an opportunity to try something new, give people a choice, and see if it is a better way of educating our children.

No it isn't. if it were, then I'd support. The minute they let the behavior disordered kid from Covington into the suburban schools or the pregnant teen into their schools then we have true choice. Then it will have my support. But we know that ain't happening.

There are already plenty of private school options. Though they can be expensive, many have financial aid.

Sorry, I am confused. This isn't over is it? Didn't the governor veto the budget plan, yesterday?

Correct. We could see basically the same thing or worse as far as rallys and/or strikes are concerned. We are talking about two different support bills that affect schools and teachers: budget and pension reform.

He did not veto pension reform yet.

But the budget that increased SEEK funding and restored transportation funding was just vetoed.

Correct. We could see basically the same thing or worse as far as rallys and/or strikes are concerned. We are talking about two different support bills that affect schools and teachers: budget and pension reform.

He did not veto pension reform yet.

But the budget that increased SEEK funding and restored transportation funding was just vetoed.

I follow WLEX on twitter and found their report a bit misleading by mentioning the teacher walkout (their words not mine) in the same breath as the veto.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

It accomplished very little.

What could it accomplish? Not being smart, and I participated in the rally and was encouraged by the number of participants and the renewed interest in local/state issues, but even while there I wasn't sure what the end game was. Bottom line, I think everybody in the building (governor, legislators, teachers) all want something different and none have really shown much interest in working together to fix the issue in either the short- or long-term.

I follow WLEX on twitter and found their report a bit misleading by mentioning the teacher walkout (their words not mine) in the same breath as the veto.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

The biggest accomplishment of teacher rallies may be the attention that our public education system is getting.