What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

theguru

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being reminded why we should stop daily.

Right, you work your 5 1/2 hours and you hit the road.

And if a Teacher wants credit for 6 hours a day they can stay after school for 30 minutes to make up for their lunch break.

Generally speaking aren't the majority of those religious based?

I'm guessing most are, but they have kids from other religions attending those schools. Matter of fact, Holy Trinity grade school hit my father up for a donation years ago and were proud to say over 40% of the kids were not catholic?

What do you consider Highlands or Beechwood, Are they private? Do their teachers got the state pensions or are they self funded?

Right, you work your 5 1/2 hours and you hit the road.

And if a Teacher wants credit for 6 hours a day they can stay after school for 30 minutes to make up for their lunch break.

:lol2:

So you believe teachers work 8-2?

I'm guessing most are, but they have kids from other religions attending those schools. Matter of fact, Holy Trinity grade school hit my father up for a donation years ago and were proud to say over 40% of the kids were not catholic?

What do you consider Highlands or Beechwood, Are they private? Do their teachers got the state pensions or are they self funded?

The are Independent, one school, school districts that are part of the state pension system.

If I am wrong here anyone please help us out.

:lol2:

So you believe teachers work 8-2?

I believe someone on here was making a case for the Fayette County teachers getting a free day on the protest day because they work 6 hours and 10 minutes a day.

Or in simple terms I was using the numbers provided in this thread.

But to be specific, when does the school day start at most schools and when does it end, we can figure the math here.

I believe someone on here was making a case for the Fayette County teachers getting a free day on the protest day because they work 6 hours and 10 minutes a day.

But to be specific, when does the school day start at most schools and when does it end, we can figure the math here.

7:25- 4:00 at best ...if buses are early

Teachers have duties before and after school.

I'm saying the students are in class for a certain amount of time per day (it isn't necessarily the hours/minutes for each school that I put in my example). Some districts require students to attend longer - that's the district decision. Teachers are required to work a certain amount of time before and after students arrive/leave (that's set by the school/district) and are required to work a certain number of days per year, including professional development and staff work days (those are set by the state).

Our students' school day starts at 8 and ends at 3. They have six 1-hour classes. I am not sure if their time in lunch counts toward that time - if so, then they are educated for 6 hours and 25 minutes if you factor in the five minutes allowed between class changes.

Our teachers are required to be here no later than 7:45 and must stay until 3:15 - 7.5 hours. Most are here by at least 7:30 and stay until 3:30, although there are always exceptions.

Those numbers are probably similar for most schools around the state, with some wiggle room. Just an FYI.

I'm saying the students are in class for a certain amount of time per day (it isn't necessarily the hours/minutes for each school that I put in my example). Some districts require students to attend longer - that's the district decision. Teachers are required to work a certain amount of time before and after students arrive/leave.

Our students' school day starts at 8 and ends at 3. They have six 1-hour classes. I am not sure if their time in lunch counts toward that time - if so, then they are educated for 6 hours and 25 minutes if you factor in the five minutes allowed between class changes.

Our teachers are required to be here no later than 7:45 and must stay until 3:15 - 7.5 hours. Most are here by at least 7:30 and stay until 3:30, although there are always exceptions.

Those numbers are probably similar for most schools around the state, with some wiggle room. Just an FYI.

I am just trying to get something meaningful out of this thread.

To summarize, your teachers are required to be in the building for 7.5 hours a day and that includes their lunch so your teachers log 7 hours a day working at school. However, at your school, most teachers are there slightly longer than required.

The only thing I could find on Henderson teachers was that their pay was based on a 185 day year.

185 days of work is the number I normally hear.

With most full time jobs the salary/pay is based on about 240 days a year.

So you are telling us it is all contractual and all teachers are at school at least 8 hours and 35 minutes a day?

Most districts require teachers to be there 20 minutes prior to opening bell and stay 20 minutes after the final bell. So if school for students was 8-3, then teachers would be required to be there from 7:40 - 3:20. Now most teachers arrive at least 30 minutes to an hour prior and stay the same afterwards, but most are required to be there 7-2/3 hours. Most get at least a 30 minute planning (usually 40-45 minutes) although that is not required and a 20 minute lunch. Some schools also require a least once a month 60-90 minute after school faculty meetings, many require more than monthly. That is the minimum, not the norm. But there are those in every district that stay to these minimums and there are no consequences if you stay to the minimum.

I always chose to finish whatever work I had, grading papers, planning, etc. at school rather than take it home. I chose the time, not what I had to do, you have to plan and grade papers. So if I had 2 hours of that I stayed until 5:00 and went home. Some chose to go home and do that work. On average, I had 90 minutes-2 hours of after hour work. I know teachers that spent more time and those that spent less. I easily worked a 9-10 hour day, plus usually coached something and for many years had to take graduate classes to get my required Masters and then a Rank 1 (30 hours beyond a Masters for a step in pay). Not complaining at all, just explaining. Part of the job that most know getting into it.

I understand the perception on time worked, but I gave the reality of my experiences.