What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

theguru

That sounds like another way of saying students were cheated out of educational opportunities.

And if schools weren't open, then no one gets paid, correct?

Not cheated. They will just tack it on at the end.

But now you mention it, students will be cheated out of many more educational opportunities as a result of the reform bill.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How were they cheated out of opportunities if they didn't have school on Monday, April 2 but are making it up in May? They'll still have the exact same amount of schooling, right? It isn't any different than being snowed out on a random day in January and making it up in May.

So that day is being made up and that is official?

So that day is being made up and that is official?

I can't speak for other districts and ours was on Spring Break, but I'd have to think it would be since the law requires students/teachers to attend a specific number of hours/days.

I can't speak for other districts and ours was on Spring Break, but I'd have to think it would be since the law requires students/teachers to attend a specific number of hours/days.

Thanks for the info.

If anyone else has an unambiguous answer we are all ears?

I thought I saw where Fayette said they would not, but I think they work 2 more days than most other districts.

This is a good point. Per Kentucky law, student time in school per year is measured by hours while teacher time is measured by days. Districts like Fayette send their kids longer than others. Some districts also have students go longer each day than required (to make a simple example, say kids have to be educated 6 hours per day but a district instead has them go for 6 hours and 10 minutes)* and that time banks, which could result in not making up a day or maybe two.

* - That "banked" time doesn't necessarily count all time they are at school, but rather time in class. You don't count time between class changes, breaks, etc.

Or we could say Fayette County is now working one less day than they are being paid to work.

If their kids go to school more than they have to, that "one less day" could be made up as a teacher work day at the end of the school year.

Genuine question here....For what exactly? What laws did they break?

Technically, they didn't break the law. But the fact that law exists allowing them to do what they did--take pension money to fund the budget--well...in my world I would like to see them imprisoned.

Technically, they didn't break the law. But the fact that law exists allowing them to do what they did--take pension money to fund the budget--well...in my world I would like to see them imprisoned.

It has been going on with all the pension money from all the funds for decades.

In short, it is systematic failure by Frankfort.