Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Featured Replies

I don't think this is a political statement so I'll give it a shot ....

 

What I would like to see done is all those legislators and governors who underfunded the pension for all these years and created this crisis have their pension benefits reduced or removed.

  • Replies 318
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think this is a political statement so I'll give it a shot ....

 

What I would like to see done is all those legislators and governors who underfunded the pension for all these years and created this crisis have their pension benefits reduced or removed.

 

Does that include those in the Education department that agreed with the Legislators and Governors to do it?

I don't think this is a political statement so I'll give it a shot ....

 

What I would like to see done is all those legislators and governors who underfunded the pension for all these years and created this crisis have their pension benefits reduced or removed.

 

I don't think my response is political either, but I would like to see them go to prison.

I don't think this is a political statement so I'll give it a shot ....

 

What I would like to see done is all those legislators and governors who underfunded the pension for all these years and created this crisis have their pension benefits reduced or removed.

 

Well the governors were removed from office. Not sure how that will affect their pension.

It seems teachers will only be satisfied if the current pension has zero change, meaning new hires get the same pension plan as current teachers. I get they want what they were promised to remain in tact and I agree. But to expect the retirement system for new hires to not evolve is just ignorance. In regards to the protests, I'm not sure that question can be answered yet. Still too much to come.

I don't think my response is political either, but I would like to see them go to prison.
To be fair everyone has a hand in this. We all turned a blind eye to it and allowed it to happen.
I don't think my response is political either, but I would like to see them go to prison.

 

Genuine question here....For what exactly? What laws did they break?

  • Author
There are already plenty of private school options. Though they can be expensive, many have financial aid.

 

Generally speaking aren't the majority of those religious based?

 

Also for everyone, are Charter Schools really private schools?

 

The Truth about Charter Schools:

 

What do charter schools all have in common? They are independent entities that have received a charter, which is a set of self-written rules (and promises) about how the school will be structured and run. Essentially, they are able to organize a school that’s outside the control of the local school district but still funded by local, state, and federal tax money. This allows charter schools to create free public schools that don’t have to follow the same regulations as district schools. Sometimes this results in a very high-performing school, sometimes not. This approach to education tends to produce a more diverse range of schools than might traditionally be found within school districts.

 

The Myths about Charter Schools:

 

MYTH #1: Charter schools are private.

 

Charter schools are not private schools — all charter schools are public. It’s confusing because some charter schools are operated by for-profit companies or groups called education management organizations (EMOs). Because these for-profits make money, some people think they’re private but they’re not; charter schools don’t charge tuition.

 

The truth about charter schools | Parenting

  • Author

Another question I have (and I missed it if it has been answered somewhere) is how and when do the students make up the day of school missed when the teachers protested?

 

Also, what did the teachers do that day? Did they use a sick day? Something else?

Another question I have (and I missed it if it has been answered somewhere) is how and when do the students make up the day of school missed when the teachers protested?Also, what did the teachers do that day? Did they use a sick day? Something else?
Henderson was on spring break so we won't have to make it up. However I'm interested in what other systems are having to do.
  • Author
Henderson was on spring break so we won't have to make it up. However I'm interested in what other systems are having to do.

 

I am interested too.

Another question I have (and I missed it if it has been answered somewhere) is how and when do the students make up the day of school missed when the teachers protested?

 

Also, what did the teachers do that day? Did they use a sick day? Something else?

 

I think about 90%+ of the districts were on spring break. I would imagine most schools would add a day on the end of the calendar, no different than a snow day. If enough teachers put in for a sick day that the district simply decided to close, the teachers wouldn't be charged with a sick day because the school wasn't open that day.

  • Author
I think about 90%+ of the districts were on spring break. I would imagine most schools would add a day on the end of the calendar, no different than a snow day. If enough teachers put in for a sick day that the district simply decided to close, the teachers wouldn't be charged with a sick day because the school wasn't open that day.

 

That sounds like another way of saying students were cheated out of educational opportunities.

 

And if schools weren't open, then no one gets paid, correct?

That sounds like another way of saying students were cheated out of educational opportunities.

 

And if schools weren't open, then no one gets paid, correct?

 

How were they cheated out of opportunities if they didn't have school on Monday, April 2 but are making it up in May? They'll still have the exact same amount of schooling, right? It isn't any different than being snowed out on a random day in January and making it up in May.

And if schools weren't open, then no one gets paid, correct?

 

Teachers are salaried employees required to work a certain amount of days during the course of the year. The school being closed doesn't affect that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.