What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

theguru

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is a political statement so I'll give it a shot ....

What I would like to see done is all those legislators and governors who underfunded the pension for all these years and created this crisis have their pension benefits reduced or removed.

Does that include those in the Education department that agreed with the Legislators and Governors to do it?

What I would like to see done is all those legislators and governors who underfunded the pension for all these years and created this crisis have their pension benefits reduced or removed.

I don't think my response is political either, but I would like to see them go to prison.

Well the governors were removed from office. Not sure how that will affect their pension.

It seems teachers will only be satisfied if the current pension has zero change, meaning new hires get the same pension plan as current teachers. I get they want what they were promised to remain in tact and I agree. But to expect the retirement system for new hires to not evolve is just ignorance. In regards to the protests, I'm not sure that question can be answered yet. Still too much to come.

There are already plenty of private school options. Though they can be expensive, many have financial aid.

Generally speaking aren't the majority of those religious based?

Also for everyone, are Charter Schools really private schools?

The Truth about Charter Schools:

What do charter schools all have in common? They are independent entities that have received a charter, which is a set of self-written rules (and promises) about how the school will be structured and run. Essentially, they are able to organize a school that’s outside the control of the local school district but still funded by local, state, and federal tax money. This allows charter schools to create free public schools that don’t have to follow the same regulations as district schools. Sometimes this results in a very high-performing school, sometimes not. This approach to education tends to produce a more diverse range of schools than might traditionally be found within school districts.

The Myths about Charter Schools:

MYTH #1: Charter schools are private.

Charter schools are not private schools — all charter schools are public. It’s confusing because some charter schools are operated by for-profit companies or groups called education management organizations (EMOs). Because these for-profits make money, some people think they’re private but they’re not; charter schools don’t charge tuition.

The truth about charter schools | Parenting

Another question I have (and I missed it if it has been answered somewhere) is how and when do the students make up the day of school missed when the teachers protested?

Also, what did the teachers do that day? Did they use a sick day? Something else?

Another question I have (and I missed it if it has been answered somewhere) is how and when do the students make up the day of school missed when the teachers protested?Also, what did the teachers do that day? Did they use a sick day? Something else?
Henderson was on spring break so we won't have to make it up. However I'm interested in what other systems are having to do.

Another question I have (and I missed it if it has been answered somewhere) is how and when do the students make up the day of school missed when the teachers protested?

Also, what did the teachers do that day? Did they use a sick day? Something else?

I think about 90%+ of the districts were on spring break. I would imagine most schools would add a day on the end of the calendar, no different than a snow day. If enough teachers put in for a sick day that the district simply decided to close, the teachers wouldn't be charged with a sick day because the school wasn't open that day.

I think about 90%+ of the districts were on spring break. I would imagine most schools would add a day on the end of the calendar, no different than a snow day. If enough teachers put in for a sick day that the district simply decided to close, the teachers wouldn't be charged with a sick day because the school wasn't open that day.

That sounds like another way of saying students were cheated out of educational opportunities.

And if schools weren't open, then no one gets paid, correct?

That sounds like another way of saying students were cheated out of educational opportunities.

And if schools weren't open, then no one gets paid, correct?

How were they cheated out of opportunities if they didn't have school on Monday, April 2 but are making it up in May? They'll still have the exact same amount of schooling, right? It isn't any different than being snowed out on a random day in January and making it up in May.