What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

theguru

Most districts require teachers to be there 20 minutes prior to opening bell and stay 20 minutes after the final bell. So if school for students was 8-3, then teachers would be required to be there from 7:40 - 3:20. Now most teachers arrive at least 30 minutes to an hour prior and stay the same afterwards, but most are required to be there 7-2/3 hours. Most get at least a 30 minute planning (usually 40-45 minutes) although that is not required and a 20 minute lunch. Some schools also require a least once a month 60-90 minute after school faculty meetings, many require more than monthly. That is the minimum, not the norm. But there are those in every district that stay to these minimums and there are no consequences if you stay to the minimum.

I always chose to finish whatever work I had, grading papers, planning, etc. at school rather than take it home. I chose the time, not what I had to do, you have to plan and grade papers. So if I had 2 hours of that I stayed until 5:00 and went home. Some chose to go home and do that work. On average, I had 90 minutes-2 hours of after hour work. I know teachers that spent more time and those that spent less. I easily worked a 9-10 hour day, plus usually coached something and for many years had to take graduate classes to get my required Masters and then a Rank 1 (30 hours beyond a Masters for a step in pay). Not complaining at all, just explaining. Part of the job that most know getting into it.

I understand the perception on time worked, but I gave the reality of my experiences.

That sounds reasonable BM.

Thanks for all of your hard work educating children.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I easily worked a 9-10 hour day

About what my wife does. She's there by about 7:10 and home at around 5:00. Some others do the same.

Having said that, I often stop by at the end of the school day and several teachers are pulling out of the parking lot as I'm pulling in at 3:15.

About what my wife does. She's there by about 7:10 and home at around 5:00. Some others do the same.

Having said that, I often stop by at the end of the school day and several teachers are pulling out of the parking lot as I'm pulling in at 3:15.

Teaching is no different than many jobs. Some people do the minimum required and some go above and beyond.

Teaching is no different than many jobs. Some people do the minimum required and some go above and beyond.

The amount of paperwork she has to do is staggering. She's in Special Ed, so I guess that requires more, but it seems excessive to me.

From the outside looking in, I think teachers are hamstrung by paperwork. Among other things.

Most districts require teachers to be there 20 minutes prior to opening bell and stay 20 minutes after the final bell. So if school for students was 8-3, then teachers would be required to be there from 7:40 - 3:20. Now most teachers arrive at least 30 minutes to an hour prior and stay the same afterwards, but most are required to be there 7-2/3 hours. Most get at least a 30 minute planning (usually 40-45 minutes) although that is not required and a 20 minute lunch. Some schools also require a least once a month 60-90 minute after school faculty meetings, many require more than monthly. That is the minimum, not the norm. But there are those in every district that stay to these minimums and there are no consequences if you stay to the minimum.I always chose to finish whatever work I had, grading papers, planning, etc. at school rather than take it home. I chose the time, not what I had to do, you have to plan and grade papers. So if I had 2 hours of that I stayed until 5:00 and went home. Some chose to go home and do that work. On average, I had 90 minutes-2 hours of after hour work. I know teachers that spent more time and those that spent less. I easily worked a 9-10 hour day, plus usually coached something and for many years had to take graduate classes to get my required Masters and then a Rank 1 (30 hours beyond a Masters for a step in pay). Not complaining at all, just explaining. Part of the job that most know getting into it.I understand the perception on time worked, but I gave the reality of my experiences.
For me it's not a perception of time worked. But teaching is no different than most other jobs. Teachers like to compare their situation to private sector jobs and the fact is hours work per day is no different and annually salary isn't that much different when extrapolated over the same number of days annually.

So you are telling us it is all contractual and all teachers are at school at least 8 hours and 35 minutes a day?

It’s a hard knock life. :lol2:

The other guys did a better job of explaining, but the REAL expectations and requirements of teaching are often different from the perception.

I don't think you realize how many hours/days teachers work for free.

So it's no different than a lot of other jobs out there. I work til my work is done. Sometimes that can be done in a 40 hour work week. Other times I might have to work at night or on weekends. Pay is the same.

So it's no different than a lot of other jobs out there. I work til my work is done. Sometimes that can be done in a 40 hour work week. Other times I might have to work at night or on weekends. Pay is the same.

Exactly.

Right.

Difference being most other jobs aren’t being told to suck it up because they get their summers off and work 5 1/2 hours a day.

I don’t think teachers are out trying to say “look, my job is harder than yours.”

In my case it’s more like I don’t think you understand exactly what’s up.

Another rally is being planned for Friday. If the budgets are cut as Bevin has suggested, Beechwood School District would lose anywhere between $500,000 to $800,000 next year. Boone County would have to cut 110 employees.

For me it's not a perception of time worked. But teaching is no different than most other jobs. Teachers like to compare their situation to private sector jobs and the fact is hours work per day is no different and annually salary isn't that much different when extrapolated over the same number of days annually.

A teacher works 185 days with four days of holiday (Christmas, Memorial Day, etc.), so 181 day worked. in the private sector a five day week equals 260 days worked. Subtract 4 weeks vacation (20 days) or 3 weeks (15), or 2 weeks (10), whatever. So a teacher of 15-20 years compares to a worker with 3-4 weeks vacation if they are in the same field. So that drops to 220 days work and subtract 6 holidays makes it 214 days worked for the pay you receive in the private sector.

In the private sector, most continuing education is provided by the company. If that is schooling, most often the company pays. Teachers in Kentucky must get their Masters in 10 years. They must pay for it themselves. In reality, it is a 5-6 week difference, not three months as most people in the private world I know say.

The average pay for teachers in Kentucky is about 50K (salary.com) $275 per day

Accountant is 50K (Glassdoor) $233

Truck driver 74 K (Simply Hired data) $345

RN 55K (pay scale.com) $257

Operations Manager 58K (pay scale .com) $271

UPS Delivery Driver 69K (pay scale.com) $322

So teachers are compensated on par with RN's, Operation Managers, less than delivery drivers, better than accountants (no CPA) according to this data. Worth of each of these positions is the debate.

Right, you work your 5 1/2 hours and you hit the road.

And if a Teacher wants credit for 6 hours a day they can stay after school for 30 minutes to make up for their lunch break.

Wow. It means I get my 25 minute lunch break where I usually eat in 15 minutes so I can get work done before I have students again. Plus we are required by contract to be at school 25 minutes before the first bell and 25 minutes after school is out. Most are at school well before and after those times, plus all of the days beyond the school requirements to disassemble their classrooms so they can be cleaned over the summer and then the days to reassemble and prepare for school to begin. We don't just leave the last day of school and when we come back on the first day in the fall our rooms, lessons, etc magically are ready. I work way more as a teacher than I did as a data analyst and project director in market research for 11 years. However, the work is much more satisfying!

Wow. It means I get my 25 minute lunch break where I usually eat in 15 minutes so I can get work done before I have students again. Plus we are required by contract to be at school 25 minutes before the first bell and 25 minutes after school is out. Most are at school well before and after those times, plus all of the days beyond the school requirements to disassemble their classrooms so they can be cleaned over the summer and then the days to reassemble and prepare for school to begin. We don't just leave the last day of school and when we come back on the first day in the fall our rooms, lessons, etc magically are ready. I work way more as a teacher than I did as a data analyst and project director in market research for 11 years. However, the work is much more satisfying!

:lol2:

Your choice.

I have to believe teachers will be a bit more disillusioned after recent developments.

A teacher works 185 days with four days of holiday (Christmas, Memorial Day, etc.), so 181 day worked. in the private sector a five day week equals 260 days worked. Subtract 4 weeks vacation (20 days) or 3 weeks (15), or 2 weeks (10), whatever. So a teacher of 15-20 years compares to a worker with 3-4 weeks vacation if they are in the same field. So that drops to 220 days work and subtract 6 holidays makes it 214 days worked for the pay you receive in the private sector.

In the private sector, most continuing education is provided by the company. If that is schooling, most often the company pays. Teachers in Kentucky must get their Masters in 10 years. They must pay for it themselves. In reality, it is a 5-6 week difference, not three months as most people in the private world I know say.

The average pay for teachers in Kentucky is about 50K (salary.com) $275 per day

Accountant is 50K (Glassdoor) $233

Truck driver 74 K (Simply Hired data) $345

RN 55K (pay scale.com) $257

Operations Manager 58K (pay scale .com) $271

UPS Delivery Driver 69K (pay scale.com) $322

So teachers are compensated on par with RN's, Operation Managers, less than delivery drivers, better than accountants (no CPA) according to this data. Worth of each of these positions is the debate.

You lost me on some of the days worked comparison. Private sector is 260, with 4 weeks vacation it’s 240. Add more in 6 holidays and it’s 234.

not sure what you mean by 5-6 weeks difference part.

Is the 185 days for teachers actual in class time or does that include spring break, Christmas break, fall break?

185 days is classroom time and professional development requirements. We get no paid holidays, breaks, or summers. Those who get paychecks over the summer do it by choice to spread their pay out over the summer. Some choose to take all of their pay during the school months and get no checks in the summer. They get larger checks in the months while in school, but must budget to having no checks while out in the summer.