Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Featured Replies

Agree here 100% there are certain times of the year where a vacation would do way more harm than good for me. Regardless of when I take it I'm always backed up when I return. It's honestly why I got in the habit of 4 day weekends. I rarley take a week long vacation outside of Christmas.
We always go to the beach on fall break and sometimes for a week in the summer. I always have my laptop with me and spend an hour or two in the morning catching up on emails while drinking coffee. Otherwise when I get back to work it takes too much time to dig out.
  • Replies 318
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People keep referring to a 260 day work year. They're not taking out the paid vacation, sick and holidays. Someone with 25 years in many companies is working maybe 225 days a year. Still much more than teaching but it's a better comparison.

 

Let's throw out something else about the "working" day. How many of you are posting on BGP during work hours? Online watching the NCAA? Online browsing? We all know it's a lot of time. What teachers can do that as often as happens in the private sector? Very few if any.

We always go to the beach on fall break and sometimes for a week in the summer. I always have my laptop with me and spend an hour or two in the morning catching up on emails while drinking coffee. Otherwise when I get back to work it takes too much time to dig out.

 

I remeber a few years ago how I thought it was awesome to get a work Iphone . O how I wish I could go back and tell younger me how bad this was going to be.

How many of you are posting on BGP during work hours? Online watching the NCAA? Online browsing?

 

giphy.gif

I remeber a few years ago how I thought it was awesome to get a work Iphone . O how I wish I could go back and tell younger me how bad this was going to be.

 

No kidding!! It all seemed really cool to be able to get your email on the go when I got my Blackberry phone back in 2009. Not so cool anymore.

I just find it a little amusing that the narrative switched to school funding once teachers realized their pensions weren't affected. I'm willing to bet if there wasn't a narrative from certain groups that lawmakers were taking their pensions we wouldn't of had teachers calling in sick and protests at the capital.

 

That's not really accurate, the school funding being cut was an issue last fall, because most districts knew it was coming in some manner. It just came out as more public when they went after pension reform as well.

People keep referring to a 260 day work year. They're not taking out the paid vacation, sick and holidays. Someone with 25 years in many companies is working maybe 225 days a year. Still much more than teaching but it's a better comparison.Let's throw out something else about the "working" day. How many of you are posting on BGP during work hours? Online watching the NCAA? Online browsing? We all know it's a lot of time. What teachers can do that as often as happens in the private sector? Very few if any.
Ok, what does the 185 days for teachers involve? I just looked at Henderson's calendar. There are 168 school days on the calendar. Teacher pay is based on 185 days so do they include spring and fall break, or Christmas break? There are some days at the beginning and end of the year that Teachers have to be there before and after students but it's 17 days.
Ok, what does the 185 days for teachers involve? I just looked at Henderson's calendar. There are 168 school days on the calendar. Teacher pay is based on 185 days so do they include spring and fall break, or Christmas break? There are some days at the beginning and end of the year that Teachers have to be there before and after students but it's 17 days.

 

I would say Henderson's calendar is wrong since KY requires 180 or so instruction days. When my kids were in school there was always several days where students were not present but teachers were. I imagine that's where the teachers who have posted get their 185 or so days. Not sure if the professional days are regulated by KY or the school district.

Ok, what does the 185 days for teachers involve? I just looked at Henderson's calendar. There are 168 school days on the calendar. Teacher pay is based on 185 days so do they include spring and fall break, or Christmas break? There are some days at the beginning and end of the year that Teachers have to be there before and after students but it's 17 days.

 

Most teachers have to be back at least 2 weeks before students for PD training and other trainings. Then normally a week after school is out, so thats roughly 15 days right there, give or take.

Do you not think the above is true for most jobs. Some years I question why I would even want to take a week of vacation considering how much work I have to do before I leave to be in position to go, and then how much I have to do upon my return to catch up with everything that has happened while I was away.

I think how much of a pain it is varies largely from job to job. It also depends greatly on what one considers a pain. I know it’s varied largely for myself depending on what job I was currently employed at.

Ok, what does the 185 days for teachers involve? I just looked at Henderson's calendar. There are 168 school days on the calendar. Teacher pay is based on 185 days so do they include spring and fall break, or Christmas break? There are some days at the beginning and end of the year that Teachers have to be there before and after students but it's 17 days.

 

I would say Henderson's calendar is wrong since KY requires 180 or so instruction days. When my kids were in school there was always several days where students were not present but teachers were. I imagine that's where the teachers who have posted get their 185 or so days. Not sure if the professional days are regulated by KY or the school district.

 

Well Daviess Co. Public School's calender must be wrong as well as they only show 173 school days.

 

Aug - 17

Sep - 19

Oct - 17

Nov - 19

Dec - 11

Jan - 21

Feb - 19

Mar - 22

Apr - 16

May - 12

Why is this the go to response from teacher's in every discussion that takes place between teacher's and non-teachers?

 

Fact is, the vast majority of teacher's don't have the skill set to do what I do and I don't have the skill set to do what they do.

 

It's because since everyone went to school, they feel they know what it takes to teach. That makes as much sense as saying since a person flys on an airplane multiple times a week, they know how to fly the plane. Legislators feel they know how to do our job and have no trouble passing bills that tell us how to teach/what we need to do in the classroom. In reality, they have no clue.

It's because since everyone went to school, they feel they know what it takes to teach. That makes as much sense as saying since a person flys on an airplane multiple times a week, they know how to fly the plane. Legislators feel they know how to do our job and have no trouble passing bills that tell us how to teach/what we need to do in the classroom. In reality, they have no clue.

 

Legislators do that with every job in the public sector.

 

And that statement cuts both ways. Teachers saying that seem to think they can just walk into any private sector job and be able to do it as well as those who have been trained and educated in that area of expertise.

 

Fact is, most teachers couldn't walk into most private sector jobs and hit the ground running, just as most private sector workers couldn't walk into a classroom and be a successful teacher.

I would say Henderson's calendar is wrong since KY requires 180 or so instruction days. When my kids were in school there was always several days where students were not present but teachers were. I imagine that's where the teachers who have posted get their 185 or so days. Not sure if the professional days are regulated by KY or the school district.
Well Daviess Co. Public School's calender must be wrong as well as they only show 173 school days. Aug - 17Sep - 19Oct - 17Nov - 19Dec - 11Jan - 21Feb - 19Mar - 22Apr - 16May - 12
I missed a couple. Recounted and it's 172 and it's not wrong. I have 2 kids in school so know what I'm seeing is accurate.
Most teachers have to be back at least 2 weeks before students for PD training and other trainings. Then normally a week after school is out, so thats roughly 15 days right there, give or take.
Looks like staff had to report 5 days before students (Staff Convocation Day?) and stays 1 day longer than students. Then there are a couple of days in March kids were off but I'm pretty sure teachers had to work.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.