Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Featured Replies

Looks like staff had to report 5 days before students (Staff Convocation Day?) and stays 1 day longer than students. Then there are a couple of days in March kids were off but I'm pretty sure teachers had to work.

 

That seems short to me, I know my wife had trainings 2 weeks before school started, could be different in each district.

  • Replies 318
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That seems short to me, I know my wife had trainings 2 weeks before school started, could be different in each district.
I tried posting a link to the calendar but my browser is not working correctly with BGP so can't. I could be reading it wrong.
Well Daviess Co. Public School's calender must be wrong as well as they only show 173 school days.

 

Aug - 17

Sep - 19

Oct - 17

Nov - 19

Dec - 11

Jan - 21

Feb - 19

Mar - 22

Apr - 16

May - 12

You’re missing days. For example August has 17 instructional days with students, 2 days of PD, and opening Day for a total of 20. I’m not sure if you are counting the days missed which are marked “missed” as days. If you included all the days in black, the days with green Xs and the days that teachers must report it’s a lot closer to 180 days in not 180 days. Those days in X can be made up a number of different ways either through days at school, non traditional learning days or similar things. Sometimes the state forgives days due to weather but the teachers typical still make those days up.

 

Henderson County looks like 181

 

Grant Co 181

Edited by barrel

You’re missing days. For example August has 17 instructional days with students, 2 days of PD, and opening Day for a total of 20. I’m not sure if you are counting the days missed which are marked “missed” as days. If you included all the days in black, the days with green Xs and the days that teachers must report it’s a lot closer to 180 days in not 180 days. Those days in X can be made up a number of different ways either through days at school, non traditional learning days or similar things. Sometimes the state forgives days due to weather but the teachers typical still make those days up.

 

Henderson County looks like 181

 

Grant Co 181

 

I just counted days that they were in / or were supposed to be in class. I thought the 180 days was about students. As far as misses I just counted those as days that they were scheduled to be there, as it would be easier than trying to figure out what days they would actually continue to be in school.

I just counted days that they were in / or were supposed to be in class. I thought the 180 days was about students. As far as misses I just counted those as days that they were scheduled to be there, as it would be easier than trying to figure out what days they would actually continue to be in school.

A student’s school year and a teacher school year are calculated differently. They also have two different requirements on time

 

The last few years the state has allowed schools to use NTI days. So for example students might complete course work from Home on a computer. Those days if approved by the state count as if the student and teacher were in school. Those requirements vary from district to district.

Well Daviess Co. Public School's calender must be wrong as well as they only show 173 school days.

 

Aug - 17

Sep - 19

Oct - 17

Nov - 19

Dec - 11

Jan - 21

Feb - 19

Mar - 22

Apr - 16

May - 12

 

Do they go longer days? I've heard of schools doing that to make up the time. Again, maybe one of our teachers could answer that.

You’re missing days. For example August has 17 instructional days with students, 2 days of PD, and opening Day for a total of 20. I’m not sure if you are counting the days missed which are marked “missed” as days. If you included all the days in black, the days with green Xs and the days that teachers must report it’s a lot closer to 180 days in not 180 days. Those days in X can be made up a number of different ways either through days at school, non traditional learning days or similar things. Sometimes the state forgives days due to weather but the teachers typical still make those days up.Henderson County looks like 181Grant Co 181
My number for Henderson was just class days. The 5 days before start of school I assumed were teacher days but since they said staff I didn't know if that included teachers. I always thought of teachers as faculty and staff as other employees.
Do they go longer days? I've heard of schools doing that to make up the time. Again, maybe one of our teachers could answer that.
8:00 to 3:25 for Henderson. I believe Wednesdays they start at 8:30
8:00 to 3:25 for Henderson. I believe Wednesdays they start at 8:30

 

That may be it, my kids went from 8:15 to 3. I guess it works out about the same.

I don’t know the exact way it works but in basic terms teachers are judged by days and students are on time. Some schools extended days to make up for miss days or to bank time.

I'm new to this thread and have not read it closely. However, in calculating the number of hours a teacher works, has anyone mentioned the time spent grading papers at night, preparing for class and conversing at home on the phone with parents? IMO another point to consider is that certain certain schools/districts present a more challenging work environment than others..........JCPS, I am looking at you.

Not cheated. They will just tack it on at the end.

 

But now you mention it, students will be cheated out of many more educational opportunities as a result of the reform bill.

 

How much work is done on the last day of school? Pretty much all my friends are teachers and behind the scenes they dont like this anymore than anyone else but they also say most teachers are not being reasonable. They say that the higher powers are stirring the pot. This is what is being said behind the scenes not yelled at for the cameras in Frankfort.

 

Look I dont think anyone wants a teacher or any state employee to lose what they have paid in.( This affects my wife who has 28 years in also). But anyone who has any sense of how $$$ works knows the current system is not sustainable and things will have to change. Bevin has really made some dumb comments to anger teachers specifically, but its apparent he dont care. While I dont agree with his delivery, his base points are right that it has to be fixed or it will go under.

How much work is done on the last day of school? Pretty much all my friends are teachers and behind the scenes they dont like this anymore than anyone else but they also say most teachers are not being reasonable. They say that the higher powers are stirring the pot. This is what is being said behind the scenes not yelled at for the cameras in Frankfort.

 

Look I dont think anyone wants a teacher or any state employee to lose what they have paid in.( This affects my wife who has 28 years in also). But anyone who has any sense of how $$$ works knows the current system is not sustainable and things will have to change. Bevin has really made some dumb comments to anger teachers specifically, but its apparent he dont care. While I dont agree with his delivery, his base points are right that it has to be fixed or it will go under.

 

None, but work will be done on the old last day. :lol2:

How much work is done on the last day of school? Pretty much all my friends are teachers and behind the scenes they dont like this anymore than anyone else but they also say most teachers are not being reasonable. They say that the higher powers are stirring the pot. This is what is being said behind the scenes not yelled at for the cameras in Frankfort.

 

Look I dont think anyone wants a teacher or any state employee to lose what they have paid in.( This affects my wife who has 28 years in also). But anyone who has any sense of how $$$ works knows the current system is not sustainable and things will have to change. Bevin has really made some dumb comments to anger teachers specifically, but its apparent he dont care. While I dont agree with his delivery, his base points are right that it has to be fixed or it will go under.

 

My problem is the something done was thrown right on teachers, districts, and state employees.

 

KY received the loans from the pension systems. KY should have paid for them.

My problem is the something done was thrown right on teachers, districts, and state employees.

 

KY received the loans from the pension systems. KY should have paid for them.

 

The way this was done was a travesty. See we can agree.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.