Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Featured Replies

Where do you get the stats to say a vast majority do not? I might be reading your statement wrong. I take your statement to mean a vast majority of people don’t call in sick unless they truly are sick? So a massive flu or some other pandemic hits every year the day after the Super Bowl? During March Madness? A number of companies have just went to PTO so there is no distinction between sick leave and vacation time. If PTO time can not be carried forward I believe you would see an increase of days taken as it gets closer to use or lose time. In the different jobs I have been apart of that has been the trend. If one cannot carry sick leave forward then yes people are more than likely will use those days. Feeling a little under the weather? Sure stay home.

 

Districts encouraged teachers not to use sick days for numerous reasons. Also it is a royal pain to be sick as a teacher due to prep work, falling behind and cleaning up the mess when they return.

 

I think you're confusing vacation days with sick days. I take vacation days every year the day after the Super Bowl and the first two days of March Madness.

 

I personally don't know anyone that uses their full allotment of sick days. Not one. Now, maybe that's the exception and not the rule, but I highly doubt it.

 

As to the bolded, it's the same in the private sector too. That's not something exclusive to teachers.

  • Replies 318
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is accurate. That's what is required. You may work more than that but 185 is the number your pay is based on. Mine is 260 but guess what, I work more than that. So teachers aren't unique. You guys keep acting like the rest of the rest of the world wouldn't understand and the fact is most would.

The 185 is about as accurate as the 5 1/2 hour work day. 185 days comes up when people try to say that teachers only work 185 days. That is incorrect. If you agree that 185 is not an accurate statement of days worked by teachers than there is no misunderstanding. If one wants to stand on the idea teachers only work 185 days then that is incorrect. A teachers pay is based on 5 1/2 hours but we can all agree that is grossly inaccurate.

It accomplished more childcare fees for parents who work.

The 185 is about as accurate as the 5 1/2 hour work day. 185 days comes up when people try to say that teachers only work 185 days. That is incorrect. If you agree that 185 is not an accurate statement of days worked by teachers than there is no misunderstanding. If one wants to stand on the idea teachers only work 185 days then that is incorrect. A teachers pay is based on 5 1/2 hours but we can all agree that is grossly inaccurate.

 

I think that's the point. A teacher's pay is based on that figure, but they work more. My pay is based on 260 days. I work well more than that.

 

It seems to me, as much as teachers want everyone to believe there is a drastic difference in things between them and the private sector, things are much more similar than not.

Edited by UKMustangFan

The narrative hasn’t changed. You just haven’t been talking to teachers. People on here have been saying it for over a week that it has been about funding of schools and schools programs. That teachers are not happy about the pension issue but that has never been the only thing. I find it a little amusing people have been ignoring that or that people have been following a narrative put forth by others that this is only about pensions.

 

Yes people don’t have the option for social security (teachers don’t get it or any benefit from it as you’ll remember from the other thread). That wasn’t the comparison brought up. It was stated as if employees in the private sector had to contribute to a retirement through their work. If the original comparison was to SS then that of course is much closer.

 

1. I have talked to teachers friends and families who originally thought they were losing the money they had already paid, I had to explain to them they weren't. Everyone knows a teachers.

 

2. I had younger relatives who came home from school who told their parents their teachers were losing their retirement. Source their teacher. Point being there were a lot confused people and misinformation when the bill was first passed. Go back and read the original thread. I was also told in said thread that it wasn't a compromise to change future teachers retirement plan.

 

3. I didn't make the comparison with State Retirment and a DC plan. That is why I stated the better comparison is Social Security. Neither are optional. The reason teachers don't have the option to pay into Social Security is because by Federal law the state would then be on the hook for the employer contribution or tax. State employees in the current system already recieve a much greater contribution from their employer for retirement than the average private sector employee. It would not make fiscal sense to also make Social Security an option. Kentucky isn't unique to this rule. It's why the Windfall provision exists.

I think that's the point. A teacher's pay is based on that figure, but they work more. My pay is based on 260 days. I work well more than that.

 

It seems to me, as much as teachers want everyone to believe their is a drastic difference in things between them and the private sector, things are much more similar than not.

 

Where did you get that idea?

I think you're confusing vacation days with sick days. I take vacation days every year the day after the Super Bowl and the first two days of March Madness.

 

I personally don't know anyone that uses their full allotment of sick days. Not one. Now, maybe that's the exception and not the rule, but I highly doubt it.

 

As to the bolded, it's the same in the private sector too. That's not something exclusive to teachers.

I’m not getting the two confused. Believe it or not people use sick days when they aren’t sick. Like I stated some companies now have gone to PTO which does not make a distinction. There are a number of positions in a work force that not being at work is a real pain. Teaching happens to be one of them. Maybe your job is too. I’m sure a teacher would be willing to switch for a day to compare.

It accomplished more childcare fees for parents who work.

 

Not really, they are going to have to make up the day!

With the 10 sick days included in their salary teachers can...

 

A. Go to work and get paid.

B. Stay at home and get paid.

 

We are dedicated servants, but that's not dedicated. That would be stupid.

 

FWIW, I have gone to work many times to "hoard" days. Allergies will keep me home next Spring.

I’m sure a teacher would be willing to switch for a day to compare.

 

Why is this the go to response from teacher's in every discussion that takes place between teacher's and non-teachers?

 

Fact is, the vast majority of teacher's don't have the skill set to do what I do and I don't have the skill set to do what they do.

I read the details of how things are and how they would be if the pension bill passes. I think that should be required reading for everyone who voices an opinion on the subject.

With the 10 sick days included in their salary teachers can...

 

A. Go to work and get paid.

B. Stay at home and get paid.

 

We are dedicated servants, but that's not dedicated. That would be stupid.

 

FWIW, I have gone to work many times to "hoard" days. Allergies will keep me home next Spring.

 

JMO, but that kind of flies in the face of the argument that this is about funding for the schools and that the kids come first.

I read the details of how things are and how they would be if the pension bill passes. I think that should be required reading for everyone who voices an opinion on the subject.

 

Passed and signed.

 

You probably read it more than the guys who voted on it.

You probably read it more than the guys who voted on it.

 

Also probably more than a lot (not all) of those that were out sick protesting.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.