Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Featured Replies

With the 10 sick days included in their salary teachers can...

 

A. Go to work and get paid.

B. Stay at home and get paid.

 

We are dedicated servants, but that's not dedicated. That would be stupid.

 

FWIW, I have gone to work many times to "hoard" days. Allergies will keep me home next Spring.

 

If you are sick you should stay home versus sharing your virus with the students!

  • Replies 318
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to say that I didn't fully understand everything (not even close) until I actually read the details of the whole thing. I have a feeling that many people are ranting and raving about things they don't fully understand.

I’m not getting the two confused. Believe it or not people use sick days when they aren’t sick. Like I stated some companies now have gone to PTO which does not make a distinction. There are a number of positions in a work force that not being at work is a real pain. Teaching happens to be one of them. Maybe your job is too. I’m sure a teacher would be willing to switch for a day to compare.

 

100% the reason PTO has been the new trend was to make calling in sick less attractive. But like any other field including teaching those that excel in their job rarley call in sick. Also in my experience outside of Health care in the private sector rolling over of time is not very common or if it is allowed it's very restricted. Employers don't mind employees using time off but it makes more sense to the bottom line if it is pre-planned , so that is why they encourage planned vacation.

 

Also in the private sector it is also easy to see the trend that younger employees call in sick more than older employees . Younger employees adapting to being in the work force and figuring out how to adapt their social lives to their career.

JMO, but that kind of flies in the face of the argument that this is about funding for the schools and that the kids come first.

 

I think you have a good point.

 

It is the crux of teaching: sacrifice what is good for you the individual or what is good for the education of your students. Not all but many teachers choose the later. Sadly, I think that will begin to flip to the former and our state will suffer as teaching just becomes another job.

Also probably more than a lot (not all) of those that were out sick protesting.

 

No doubt. Some people join the riot just to yell.

1. I have talked to teachers friends and families who originally thought they were losing the money they had already paid, I had to explain to them they weren't. Everyone knows a teachers.

 

2. I had younger relatives who came home from school who told their parents their teachers were losing their retirement. Source their teacher. Point being there were a lot confused people and misinformation when the bill was first passed. Go back and read the original thread. I was also told in said thread that it wasn't a compromise to change future teachers retirement plan.

 

3. I didn't make the comparison with State Retirment and a DC plan. That is why I stated the better comparison is Social Security. Neither are optional. The reason teachers don't have the option to pay into Social Security is because by Federal law the state would then be on the hook for the employer contribution or tax. State employees in the current system already recieve a much greater contribution from their employer for retirement than the average private sector employee. It would not make fiscal sense to also make Social Security an option. Kentucky isn't unique to this rule. It's why the Windfall provision exists.

1) yes

 

2) what is said and what one hears are not always the same. Ask your friends and families that are teachers. How often when they say one thing a student hears something different. That is not always the case but it most certainly could be.

 

3) I am aware of why teachers don’t pay into SS. I am also aware how they cannot collect SS benifits from a spouse. A number of people are not aware of that.

 

I also never said you did make the comparison. I said your statement was more accurate. I stated that the comparisons by another poster was not an accurate comparison. The comparison between auto-enroll and maditory enrollment were different.

I think you have a good point.

 

It is the crux of teaching: sacrifice what is good for you the individual or what is good for the education of your students. Not all but many teachers choose the later. Sadly, I think that will begin to flip to the former and our state will suffer as teaching just becomes another job.

 

Looking again at your post and mine, I want to make sure I didn't misinterpret. If you're saying you've currently been going to work when sick, and in the future, won't be, I agree. Use your sick days. Not worth the risk of getting kids sick. If you're saying you'll be using the days when you aren't sick, just to use them up, then that's something I can't get behind.

I'm just going to say that I didn't fully understand everything (not even close) until I actually read the details of the whole thing. I have a feeling that many people are ranting and raving about things they don't fully understand.

 

I'll have to say I didn't read all 291 pages. I'm impressed.

You really think teacher's will use their sick days now, even when they aren't sick? People in the private sector never had that benefit and yet the vast majority don't use their sick days. Why would teacher's be different?

 

Only if they are being petty. I've been with my current company for almost 13 years. Had to miss a week due to a really bad bout with the flu a few months ago. First sick days I'd used. Most of my co-workers are the same and rarely if ever call in sick.

The 185 is about as accurate as the 5 1/2 hour work day. 185 days comes up when people try to say that teachers only work 185 days. That is incorrect. If you agree that 185 is not an accurate statement of days worked by teachers than there is no misunderstanding. If one wants to stand on the idea teachers only work 185 days then that is incorrect. A teachers pay is based on 5 1/2 hours but we can all agree that is grossly inaccurate.
It is accurate. Teachers pay is based on X. Just because you work Y does not change that fact.
Also it is a royal pain to be sick as a teacher due to prep work, falling behind and cleaning up the mess when they return.

 

Do you not think the above is true for most jobs. Some years I question why I would even want to take a week of vacation considering how much work I have to do before I leave to be in position to go, and then how much I have to do upon my return to catch up with everything that has happened while I was away.

1) yes

 

2) what is said and what one hears are not always the same. Ask your friends and families that are teachers. How often when they say one thing a student hears something different. That is not always the case but it most certainly could be.

 

3) I am aware of why teachers don’t pay into SS. I am also aware how they cannot collect SS benifits from a spouse. A number of people are not aware of that.

 

I also never said you did make the comparison. I said your statement was more accurate. I stated that the comparisons by another poster was not an accurate comparison. The comparison between auto-enroll and maditory enrollment were different.

 

On point 2 this was not a misinterpretation the teacher was trying to get students to protest. The father of the student didn't allow that to happen and instead had a conversation to make sure their child really understood the bill.

 

Point 3 - I'm not a fan of a lot of rules in Social Security. If anyone sat down amd actually read a book on them ( I have to every year , Boring!) . But the spousal rules associated with state pensions is probably my least favorite. The other bad part is if your spouse wants to inherit your state pensions then their SSI gets reduced . Which makes little sense to me and every explanation I get doesn't sit right with me. I understand why state employees can't participate that makes fiscal sense. The spousal beneficiary rules should be fixed.

Looking again at your post and mine, I want to make sure I didn't misinterpret. If you're saying you've currently been going to work when sick, and in the future, won't be, I agree. Use your sick days. Not worth the risk of getting kids sick. If you're saying you'll be using the days when you aren't sick, just to use them up, then that's something I can't get behind.

 

I would expect most teachers to take more precaution than they have in the past.

:lol2:

 

In all seriousness, it is hard to stay entirely well in a school.

Do you not think the above is true for most jobs. Some years I question why I would even want to take a week of vacation considering how much work I have to do before I leave to be in position to go, and then how much I have to do upon my return to catch up with everything that has happened while I was away.

 

Agree here 100% there are certain times of the year where a vacation would do way more harm than good for me. Regardless of when I take it I'm always backed up when I return. It's honestly why I got in the habit of 4 day weekends. I rarley take a week long vacation outside of Christmas.

What companies require you to contribute with no option to unenroll?

 

Zero.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.