Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Featured Replies

Subs have to have 60 hours of college credit. Some schools require a training session. TBH, I think that may be a requirement that is often skirted out of convenience.

 

My district starts at $60 a day and goes up to $100.

 

I would expect those requirements to go down.

 

Thank you.

  • Replies 318
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes! And I am shocked that Boone County is in the short term impact group. I would have figured them to be similar to JCPS. Equally shocked that Grayson Co is similar to JCPS and not in the same shape as Breckinridge Co.

Very educational because I did not realize how much or LITTLE was required to be a sub. How can someone, not educated for the teaching profession, be a sub if they have none of the required elements like psychology to deal with students? How much are subs paid per day, nothing firm, just a guess? And yes, my math skills are good enough to figure cubic inches in an engine for Papaw. How many college hours are required to sub? Just wondering since I know Kentucky requires a Master's Degree to remain in teaching. Definitely not asking for myself. I would not have the patience to deal with today's students.

With the technology of today, I thought lesson plans or a syllabus were prepared ahead and available on the school computer site for teachers. Especially for AP classes. Like I said this thread has been very educational as to how schools are operating.

The pay is pretty close to 60 - 100 as stated depending on the sub’s education and how many days the person is a sub. In the case of maternity leave a sub can be a long term sub and get a pay bump.

 

I believe (I’m not sure) the 60 college hr requirement is state law. I know to coach on the HS level you must have 60 hrs. I would be surprised if the requirement was more strict to coach than teach.

 

Lesson plans typically are set up in an outline fashion. So if you know the subject, the common core and standards, some of the current trendy educational terms you would get a general idea. Even a syllabus isn’t more than general topics to be covered. I think that’s great you can figure out the cubic inches. There are some people that can’t find slope or forget how to add, subtract, multiple or divide with exponents. I honestly couldn’t diagram a sentence to save my life. I doubt many could walk in off the street and talk about Leon Uris’s Exodus or the Superman therory in Crime and Punishment. If it’s a core subject that is out then the sub can get help from other such teachers. If the music teacher, art teacher or similar subjects are out then the sub is often completely lost. I did a lot of subbing in my day so I’ve seen the whole spectrum.

So if the argument for the change in the pension system was that it wasn't maintainable down the road...how do you pass a budget that makes 70% of your schools unable to maintain operation within two years. And that's not just "down the road"...it's the next block.

So if the argument for the change in the pension system was that it wasn't maintainable down the road...how do you pass a budget that makes 70% of your schools unable to maintain operation within two years. And that's not just "down the road"...it's the next block.

Unfortunately things like this are being lost in the story. For any number of reasons the pension is what much of the public believes all of this is about. When in truth it’s a small part of what has the teachers very upset. This misdirection is in part to how some educators have voiced their protest and in some cases I think it might be the way it’s spun by the other side. I believe if polled a majority of the general population would say this is over pension reform and would not even be aware of the other issues/ramifications.

How much work is done on the last day of school? Pretty much all my friends are teachers and behind the scenes they dont like this anymore than anyone else but they also say most teachers are not being reasonable. They say that the higher powers are stirring the pot. This is what is being said behind the scenes not yelled at for the cameras in Frankfort.

 

Look I dont think anyone wants a teacher or any state employee to lose what they have paid in.( This affects my wife who has 28 years in also). But anyone who has any sense of how $$$ works knows the current system is not sustainable and things will have to change. Bevin has really made some dumb comments to anger teachers specifically, but its apparent he dont care. While I dont agree with his delivery, his base points are right that it has to be fixed or it will go under.

 

Wrong. I can't comment on police and other people's pensions. However teachers pensions was and still is sustainable. The only reason and I repeat the only reason why it fell behind is the state took money from it and promised to pay it back and didn't. If the state never took money from it, it would still be fully funded. In fact as of 2003 it was 125% funded meaning it was even more funded than it needed to be. Which is why the state originally borrowed from it. Problem is the state didn't stop borrowing from it. Without that it would be funded because it was sustainable. Not to mention analytics show it would be 100% again in 30 years as long as the current system stayed in place and no more money was taken from it.

 

So the teachers retirement was and still would have been very sustainable. So for other state workers I can't comment because I don't know.

So if the argument for the change in the pension system was that it wasn't maintainable down the road...how do you pass a budget that makes 70% of your schools unable to maintain operation within two years. And that's not just "down the road"...it's the next block.

 

It is mind boggling. I know many Kentucky citizens will be angry when the cuts hit their children and grandchildren. It was a little easier to swallow when these decisions hit teachers (and state workers), but when class size goes up, bus rides get longer, and extracurriculars disappear many will hit the roof.

 

IMO, educating on the cheap is a terrible idea.

What are the highest priority items in the state budget and where does education rank? Where would you make cuts?

 

Pensions are obviously a big cost. I am sure health care is a big cost item. Roads are probably a big ticket item. Cost of running government itself.

Maybe districts need to take a hard look at how they are spending their money as well as communities look at their revenue sources.

 

They do. I’m certain there is some waste in parts of the state. But we got problems as far as funding goes. A study from the Office of Education Accountability has the funding discrepancy between rich and poor counties near pre-KERA levels.

Money in education is strange sometimes too because some funds are restricted in how they can be used. So it’s not like school districts have just a bank account full of money to spend however. Districts have money with all kinds of strings and if/thens attached to them. I don’t think I people realize that. Not everyone is aware of these restrictions. Just like many don’t realize new textbooks haven’t been bought in 15 years or so. Some subjects (like math) might be operating without textbooks at all.

 

Is there some questionable spending at times? Yes there is and school districts hear about it from their local stakeholders when/if they are aware.

It is mind boggling. I know many Kentucky citizens will be angry when the cuts hit their children and grandchildren. It was a little easier to swallow when these decisions hit teachers (and state workers), but when class size goes up, bus rides get longer, and extracurriculars disappear many will hit the roof.

 

IMO, educating on the cheap is a terrible idea.

 

The education for my kids was not cheap. I sent them to private schools. Worth the money. This citizen would like to see a balanced budget.

The education for my kids was not cheap. I sent them to private schools. Worth the money. This citizen would like to see a balanced budget.

You value education and took measures to ensure your children received the type of education you wanted. Unfortunately that simply is either not a priority or a viable option to many.

Wrong. I can't comment on police and other people's pensions. However teachers pensions was and still is sustainable. The only reason and I repeat the only reason why it fell behind is the state took money from it and promised to pay it back and didn't. If the state never took money from it, it would still be fully funded. In fact as of 2003 it was 125% funded meaning it was even more funded than it needed to be. Which is why the state originally borrowed from it. Problem is the state didn't stop borrowing from it. Without that it would be funded because it was sustainable. Not to mention analytics show it would be 100% again in 30 years as long as the current system stayed in place and no more money was taken from it.

 

So the teachers retirement was and still would have been very sustainable. So for other state workers I can't comment because I don't know.

 

I'd say the current system is not sustainable because the state cannot fund it. Not without making decisions they are not willing to make and citizens are not going to accept.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.