Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Featured Replies

Exactly. And that's my whole point. Pay matters. Just like any other profession. Not sure why they're so against admitting that though.

 

I'd venture if this bill simply reduced funding of schools and didn't touch teacher's pensions, we wouldn't be seeing the protests and cancellations and rallies that we have been.

I don't know that for a fact, but that's my thought.

 

Today's rallies are about school budgets.

 

Pension reform has passed, been signed by the Gov., and appealed by the AG.

 

So you incorrect in your assumptions teachers only fight for themselves.

  • Replies 318
  • Views 29k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today's rallies are about school budgets.

 

Pension reform has passed, been signed by the Gov., and appealed by the AG.

 

So you incorrect in your assumptions teachers only fight for themselves.

 

Today's are. Last week's weren't.

 

And I may be wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. Hopefully the last though. :lol2:

Right. So pay does in fact play a role. I never once said it was the primary reason people get into the profession.

 

That's all I've been saying. I don't get why teachers are so hellbent on denying that.

Sure pay plays a role. It just happens to be behind working in a subject one enjoys, working with students, mentoring students, helping prepare students for life outside of school, helping meet the needs of students that doesn’t involve the 3 Rs, and other opportunities that the teaching profession presents. So yeah pay does play a role after just about everything I listed. It falls in around cost of living, opportunities and conviences areas have to offer

Put private schools under the same restrictions as a public school and then compare. One appeal of private schools is they are not restricted in the same manner as a public school.

 

Restrictions? Please explain. `

Thanks for sharing. That was a good idea by Beechwood.

 

With the way things have been conducted, many are confused with what is happening with these bills.

 

A couple of reasons Beechwood is having school. Kentucky Association of Superintendents warned Thursday that it would not be advisable to use the pretext of taking another "SICK" day, only personal days should be used. Teachers may not have that many left. Beechwood is an excellent school, awards annually verify that, and parents want those teachers in their classrooms, NOT in Frankfort. No teacher wants it to look like an unlawful STRIKE, therefore the request that personal days be taken.

Does anyone know the numbers for teachers employed vs administrative plus non teacher support staff jobs by county or the state of Kentucky? What do teachers want an increase in school spending to pay for in this budget? Books, buses, after school and weekend meals for children, more security? Is there something specific?

Restrictions? Please explain. `

How money can be spent is restricted in a number of ways in public schools. Not all the money goes into the district coffers to be divided and spent however they see fit. Depending on the source of the income it can only be spent on certain things.

 

I get why individuals that choose private education feel they are paying twice. Schools are just one of a number of things individuals may pay tax dollars towards that they either choose not to participate in or cannot participate in.

Restrictions? Please explain. `

How money can be spent is restricted in a number of ways in public schools. Not all the money goes into the district coffers to be divided and spent however they see fit. Depending on the source of the income it can only be spent on certain things.

 

I get why individuals that choose private education feel they are paying twice. Schools are just one of a number of things individuals may pay tax dollars towards that they either choose not to participate in or cannot participate in.

Right. So pay does in fact play a role. I never once said it was the primary reason people get into the profession.

 

That's all I've been saying. I don't get why teachers are so hellbent on denying that.

 

Because it's never been part of their decision making process. They didn't say "I'm going into teaching because of the money". It's way down the list.

 

I went into accounting because of the money. I didn't go because of the cushy, inside, temperature controlled atmosphere I get to work in while I cruise the internet on the company dime. But take away my heat or air conditioning, make me stand up all day, or cut off my internet and I'm going to raise cain.

Maybe districts need to take a hard look at how they are spending their money as well as communities look at their revenue sources.

 

They will definitely take a look at how money is spent. And then parents will complain about how they have to take little Johnny to his road game athletic events because the gas budget was gutted. They’ll have to pay for his pads, helmets, jerseys and everything else now so parents will be mad about that. Oh, we’re adding the shot clock to HS basketball? Parents buy the shot clocks and make sure you learn how to operate it. Prom? :lol2: :lol2: Just head on over to the after prom party at Little Katie’s House. There’s no prom anymore. Driver’s Ed? Bring your own car. Yes, it is $10 a person to get into this scrimmage. $5 for kids 3 and under. Regular season games are now $15. We’ll cut you a deal though. Family of five gets in for $70. Saves you $5 dollars. We got you!!!!!

Today's rallies are about school budgets.

 

Pension reform has passed, been signed by the Gov., and appealed by the AG.

 

So you incorrect in your assumptions teachers only fight for themselves.

 

I’ve noticed a ton of people have been confusing the two.

Because it's never been part of their decision making process. They didn't say "I'm going into teaching because of the money". It's way down the list.

 

I went into accounting because of the money. I didn't go because of the cushy, inside, temperature controlled atmosphere I get to work in while I cruise the internet on the company dime. But take away my heat or air conditioning, make me stand up all day, or cut off my internet and I'm going to raise cain.

 

We're going to have to disagree that money isn't involved in the decision making process. IMO, it's naive to think that it doesn't factor in, in some manner. IMO, if it didn't pay well enough for teachers to pay bills and get by, no one would go into the field, regardless of how much they loved the kids or wanted to make a difference.

 

I got into accounting for the job security. No matter what happens with the economy or the jobs market, everyone is always going to need an accountant.

 

If I had decided a career field with no thought to pay or making ends meet, I'd have been a sports broadcasting or journalism major.

A couple of reasons Beechwood is having school. Kentucky Association of Superintendents warned Thursday that it would not be advisable to use the pretext of taking another "SICK" day, only personal days should be used. Teachers may not have that many left. Beechwood is an excellent school, awards annually verify that, and parents want those teachers in their classrooms, NOT in Frankfort. No teacher wants it to look like an unlawful STRIKE, therefore the request that personal days be taken.

Does anyone know the numbers for teachers employed vs administrative plus non teacher support staff jobs by county or the state of Kentucky? What do teachers want an increase in school spending to pay for in this budget? Books, buses, after school and weekend meals for children, more security? Is there something specific?

 

I don’t doubt some districts are admin heavy. But I bet when you go across the state most Central offices are pretty lean. I believe that’s a talking point that has been pushed out there by those that support these budget cuts.

 

Textbook funding has been dead for a decade.

Transportation and funding to operate are the issues at hand.

Today teachers aren’t rallying for an increase. They are rallying for no more cuts.

Edited by Hellcats

They will definitely take a look at how money is spent. And then parents will complain about how they have to take little Johnny to his road game athletic events because the gas budget was gutted. They’ll have to pay for his pads, helmets, jerseys and everything else now so parents will be mad about that. Oh, we’re adding the shot clock to HS basketball? Parents buy the shot clocks and make sure you learn how to operate it. Prom? :lol2: :lol2: Just head on over to the after prom party at Little Katie’s House. There’s no prom anymore. Driver’s Ed? Bring your own car. Yes, it is $10 a person to get into this scrimmage. $5 for kids 3 and under. Regular season games are now $15. We’ll cut you a deal though. Family of five gets in for $70. Saves you $5 dollars. We got you!!!!!
I can only speak about Henderson but if you notice on the map, Henderson is in white. That means they could survive at least 2 years. Buses still take Johnny to his road games, there may be a fee now for sports but they parents don't have to buy equipment. Can't speak to the shot clock but my guess is if they have to buy one they will get donations. Still have Prom every year. Don't think they offer Driver's Ed. No clue if they charge for a scrimmage but if they do it won't be $10, they don't charge that much to get into regular games. Fact is Henderson is far from a wealthy community. Their teachers make pretty good money and none of the things you list above is true here. If the school system needs more money to operate they need to look costs and revenue. That goes for any and all systems.
I can only speak about Henderson but if you notice on the map, Henderson is in white. That means they could survive at least 2 years. Buses still take Johnny to his road games, there may be a fee now for sports but they parents don't have to buy equipment. Can't speak to the shot clock but my guess is if they have to buy one they will get donations. Still have Prom every year. Don't think they offer Driver's Ed. No clue if they charge for a scrimmage but if they do it won't be $10, they don't charge that much to get into regular games. Fact is Henderson is far from a wealthy community. Their teachers make pretty good money and none of the things you list above is true here. If the school system needs more money to operate they need to look costs and revenue. That goes for any and all systems.

 

I’m speaking as to what could happen money wise if budgets are cut for a lot of public schools here in the state. Right now, what your post says happens everywhere. If the cuts come a lot of changes will be made when it comes to spending money in the future. My post illustrates some of those possible changes school districts will have to make to do things like purchase new books or supplies so the kids can be educated. Nothing I said is happening now but if budgets are cut there will be some extremely unpopular moves made in the future that will affect parents and students financially.

With the complaining I hear about the Kleenex, Chlorox wipes, etc that aren’t dare expected to donate to classrooms from some of my friends with school age children , they aren’t going to be willing to pay for anything else.

 

My daughter in law had to create a library of YA books on her own dime on her classroom. There were no funds to buy books for her English class for kids at risk of not graduating.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.