Oldham County 56 Campbell County 55 (Sweet 16 Quarterfinal)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! I was waiting for someone to say this. What a game he had tonight.

IMO, Had the Camels survived, I feel that Lawrence would have been a major contributing factor. Jolly AND Lawrence presented a bigger challenge to the OC bigmen, who had their way in the paint earlier on.

Didn’t go to the game but I’m reading on social media that possibly the Cov Cath Coach was inconsiderate and the Cov Cath crazies were inappropriate immediately after the game towards the CC team. Are there any truths to these accusations? If so, that’s out of bounds.

Yes, the crazies told CC players to hurry up and get out because they didn't belong there! The crazies are rude, obnoxious, and a bunch of punks. They may have had 3-4 adults in their section supervising, they did a lousy job.

Honestly, felt like Campbell County was the better team for 3 1/2 quarters. Just when it seemed they had the game locked up, OC changed up defenses and chipped their way back into the game...then they hit the big shot. Honestly, they should give the ball to Larimore about 20 more times a game.

As for CovCath fans...that's a stunning development.

Yes, the crazies told CC players to hurry up and get out because they didn't belong there! The crazies are rude, obnoxious, and a bunch of punks. They may have had 3-4 adults in their section supervising, they did a lousy job.

I was sitting in the section and this is completely False. Covington Catholics team kinda cheered when the kid hit a 3 as they watched on the jumbo tron. After game some Campbell lady started yelling how they should cheer for Campbell because they are from NKY. Then they did that Cheer the students do when they come out on court. Then that made her more mad and she started yelling at the Covington Catholic coaches and PRIEST saying they are a joke and bad Catholics. Very embrAssing sore loser seen by two Campbell County Moms. The funny thing is the two Campbell fans behind me said she’s a coaches wife and she’s crazy. I thought I’m sure Covington Catholic wanted Campbell to win because they would kill them. Bad moment for Campbell and some lady going after a PRIEST! She really should apologize because what I have read is nothing what happened.

Completely false. She should put on social media why she is making this up. They went after Priest saying he’s not a Catholic or something. It was bizarre.

IMO, Had the Camels survived, I feel that Lawrence would have been a major contributing factor. Jolly AND Lawrence presented a bigger challenge to the OC bigmen, who had their way in the paint earlier on.

Lawrence had a very good game last night. Hopefully he can build on that when his senior year rolls around.

Great defensive effort by both teams....the guards on both teams were largely shut down as Clos / Day (CC) combined for just 7 points and Gibson / Brewer combined for just 9. (for perspective, both Clos and Day had over 20 vs. University Heights and Gibson averages nearly 16 ppg by himself.

Zach Larimore continues his second-half of the season surge. He came into the tournament averaging 11.8 ppg, but that's deceiving; since the last of January, he's been averaging nearly 17 a game. He finished 10 of 11 from the floor and 2 of 2 beyond the arc for his 23 points. Henderson had 18 points and 9 rebounds as the two primary big men for Oldham scored 41 of their 56 points.

Henderson, a terrific jump shooter with range (40.7% beyond the arc), has inexplicably struggled at the line all year (51.5%). But the 6'4" senior center took - and made - all of Oldham County's final seven free throw attempts of the game, including 4 for 4 during the pivotal fourth period.

For the second night in a row, Oldham's shooting was on in the fourth. Against McCracken, Oldham was 8 of 10 from the floor in the fourth and 8 of 10 at the line. Against Campbell, Oldham was 7 of 11 from the floor and 4 of 4 at the line in the fourth period.

Weird, bizarre, strange stat.....for the second night in a row, with 52-53 seconds left in the third, Oldham trailed by the score of 42-31, which is when they really started their comeback. Exact same score with almost the exact same amount of time to play in the period. The rally wasn't quite as immediately dramatic - Oldham had a 9-0 run against the Mustangs in those 52-53 seconds to cut it to 42-40 after three - but Oldham got a mini-run of 4-1 to close to within 8 against the Camels heading into the fourth in those final 52-53 seconds.

Only in the KY Sweet 16.

Very impressed with Jackson Gibson's decision-making. The Oldham senior guard hit 3 of 5 shots in the first, then missed his four shots in the second and third under tremendous defensive pressure by Campbell County. Gibson did not take a single shot in the fourth, but instead finished the game with 7 assists.

Fouls were certainly a key part of this game. The number of fouls called on each team was almost dead even, but Oldham struggled with the fact that nearly all of their first half fouls were on their three front line players. Campbell County had a golden opportunity in the first half as the entire Oldham front line - center Henderson and forwards Christian Harper and Zach Larimore - all spent a most of the second period on the bench with two fouls. Oldham coach Coy Zerhusen sneaked Henderson in very briefly during a couple of short stretches, but for the most part, the Campbell bigs had a tremendous advantage during that time. Kudos to a patchwork Oldham lineup that managed to keep the margin manageable when things weren't looking so good for Oldham County.

Wilson had a spectacular game for Campbell County. Very impressed by this young man, who seemed to be able to "slow the game down" against the Oldham pressure. Played within himself and had a great night scoring when the other Campbell guards were shut down.

The "double-big" lineup worked well for the Camels. Jolly was very effective on his own early, but Oldham used some solid interior passing to "outnumber" him at the point of attack. Adding Lawrence - who I thought played tremendously well - turned the tide on the interior the way of the Camels.

Free throws were a bizarre footnote to this game. Campbell 7 of 15 and Oldham 9 of 18. These two teams have been shooting the freebies very well, but this game was an adventure. CC's FT % on the season was around 72-73%, and Oldham had hit around 80% at the line three straight games, and had been torrid at the stripe throughout the post-season. In the end, however, the free throw percentage itself was not as important as the concept of "recency"....Oldham struggled early, but finished strong (hitting their last 7), whereas Campbell was OK early (3 of 5 at the half), but struggled late (4 of 10 in the second half), including missing the front end of two critical one-and-ones late in the contest.

Final play was a tremendous chess match between two great coaches. As we stated during the broadcast, both teams have a multitude of offensive weapons, so the question was where would Oldham look and what players would Campbell take away? If you're Campbell, you have to constantly be aware of Gibson, who's ability to penetrate and score (and tremendous free throw shooting on the season) is always a threat. I've never seen a player more adept than Gibson at last-second scoring. Larimore certainly had to be accounted for, too, with his tremendous shooting night. With 8.8 seconds, Oldham had time to make a few passes, so Campbell had a dilemma. In the end, the Camels - whether intentionally or not - denied the drive to the basket, but wound up giving up a lower-percentage - but ultimately more deadly - perimeter shot. The Colonels appeared to try to get Jackson Gibson open near the top of the key, but as he started his drive, he was cut off by the Camels. Larimore was out high and cutting around to the right side of the lane, but Gibson spotted Henderson popping to the left corner and hit him with the pass. Henderson, wide open, nailed the big shot as the ball hit nothing but net.

So very, very impressed with what both Aric Russell of Campbell County and Coy Zerhusen of Oldham County have done at their schools.

For Campbell County, the Camels earned their first-ever Sweet 16 win on Thursday with a convincing win over University Heights.

For Oldham County, this is just the fourth appearance in the Final Four, and only the third Oldham team to win 31 games (the 1980 squad under Dave Hart, Jr. went 31-3 and made state, and the 2012 team under Jason Holland went 31-6 and made it to the final four).

Kudos to both teams on a riveting game....and best of luck to Oldham County tonight! I will be broadcasting the game on internet radio beginning at 7 pm ET The Pegasus Sports Network - PSN

Edited by ColonelMike

Good luck to the Camels. Great year and should of won. Tough break. Really enjoyed watching them play for the first time this year. Very very well coached and kids play their tail off. Not sure what grade Jolly is in but he’s a player. Easily one of the five to ten best I have seen in the games I have seen.