Dan Wagner "FIRED" by Newport Central Catholic

theguru

The lack of discipline comes from the head coach and NCC was lacking that the last few years. NCC has talent coming back and will be starting the junior program back. I few down years in enrollment but it will get back up and keep in mind NCC still had more students than Brossart did, time will tell and a fresh start and look will help the program.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If discipline is the issue for the TEAM as a whole, at some point that has to fall on ultimately the HC, but also all the coaches. I played for a coach (Wagner was on his staff) who was stubborn, set in his ways, lacking any creativity etc. Every team knew what we were going to do and when, but he would never stand for the constant dumb, cheap penalties from lack of self discipline. And us as players still had enough respect for our superior to not take matters into our own hands bc we knew there WOULD be consequences come Saturday morning, Monday afternoon at the latest. To the best of my knowledge the inner city to non-inner city ratio was pretty equal to today.

So if someone lives on Monmouth Street are they automatically living in the inner city? I say yes but when I've had conversations about this kind of stuff, I am usually in the minority. I consider Ludlow-Dayton and everything in between as inner city.

I agree that ultimately the head Coach is responsible for his teams discipline. However, discipline starts and ends at home...If kids hear parents that are constantly belittling or degrading coaches at home and in the stands, it has a ripple effect to the locker room and ultimately the field. Let's not kid ourselves that NewCath's players are "inner City" in the sense that they have no respect for authority of any kind, school and coaches included. The socio-economic make up may not be the same as Indian Hill, but the vast majority of the kids at NCC are from Middle to Upper Middle class homes.

If they are saying the Dan didn't have discipline on the practice field and at games, then he has changed his coaching style dramatically, and I have a hard time believing that.

If they are saying that parents/coaches didn't show respect for Dan, and thus the players didn't respect Dan, then there is a bigger problem at NewCath. Having said that I remember in the not to distant past, before his latest 9th Region title, parents bad mouthing and complaining about Ron Dawn and the fact that "boys Basketball" had passed him by... sounds like the culture at NewCath sports might be the problem.

Can someone please provide a list of who the assistant coaches were this past season?

List per max preps

Dan Wagner Head Coach/ DCDave Schneider Co-OC / Offensive LineRob Howard Wide ReceiversKeith Culp QuarterbacksMike Theisen Defensive BacksJustin Fussinger Co-OC / RB / DLGreg Turner Statistician

Tream photo has atleast 10 guys as coaches. Probably closer to 15 in sidelines on Fridays.

I know that Culp is a good man, and a better coach.

I would say that each man listed is a good man with his heart in the right place. There is no doubt in my mind that the coaches did everything in their ability to make the players better people and athletes.

Some of you have no clue what your talking about. Dan has slipped when it comes to discipline. The kids are the same as when Eddie was there and Eddie demanded discipline and held you accountable. my understanding is Dan only talked with a few coaches and not the whole staff.

Dan is a good man and a good coach not a great coach.

When you have kids fighting with teammates on the bus from games and you have no repercussions from that I think that is a problem. Agreed discipline starts at home but no way you can let kids do things like that and continue to play no matter who the athlete is IMO.